You replied at the same time I was typing so we overlapped on this one. Outlaw gear paired up with Outlaw gear should be as happy as it gets.

You are correct XM that the customer service at OPPO is outstanding by any measure. I saw the deal with Lexicon when it happened and thought it was hysterical. I know a guy who designed equalizers and custom notch filters back in the 70's who talked about companies ripping one another off as a regular course but to just repackage one into another is over the top.

A whole four firmware updates without issue? Wow. Sorry for being snarky as that is never polite but you need to stop reading reviews and start hitting the tech papers. The BDP-103/105 has now had 22 firmware updates counting betas. The last one from October of last year can be found here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=OPPO+BDP-103+downmix+issues&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

If you look at the list of addressed items you will find one offering anything like a new feature. Everything else is to fix a customer reported issue. I pre ordered and have had mine since November of 2012 so have gone through every single update. Many offer new features and improvements to function or compatibility. Others have shot it right in the ass requiring full resets. It can be argued the majority of this sort of thing should be in the past and I think for the most part it is but there have been issues. I use mine primarily as a network hub and can assure you there are format and decoding issues associated with file types as well as source input. There is a HDMI limitation relating to inputs that could be a deal breaker for some users who might wish to stream high def media in such a way. Same for the USB.

It has not been all Rainbows and Roses. You are also correct when you say different users have different reasons for buying a certain unit. If a persons main requirements are DVD/BlueRay CD/SACD then any OPPO model would be an excellent choice connected however the user wished. If networking is in your future there have been and still are issues and limitations that can matter. All I am trying to say is be informed.

Edited by Stephen B (03/06/15 12:00 PM)