Originally Posted By: Owl's_Warder
If you pull the trigger on the 975/7125, be sure the check back in with the saloon here and let us know what you think, Tidan! I'm sure there's others with similar situations that would like to see how your comparison turns out. Also, some of us are just curious and want to know. cool

Okay, been running the 975/7125 and have a few observations to share...
To start, the good:
In multichannel mode the sound quality is on par with my older 3000 dollar flagship reciever, the Yamaha RX-Z1. Somewhat different sounding in certain areas, but not neccessarily worse. Overall, more similarities than differences. However, in stereo the 975 was substantially better IMO! Broad sound stage, clear without being bright, and filled the room almost as if it was in multichannel mode. In fact, I got up several times to verify there was no sound coming from the surrounds/rears. Very impressive!
The setup menu I found to be very nice. I don't need a bunch of fancy graphics and the like. Its basic, easy to navigate, and fully functional.
The amplifier is fantastic - loads more power than any reciever I've used.
Outlaws costumer service is fantastic! Far better than that of Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer Elite, etc...in my experience.

Now, the things I think could be improved:
There are a few functional characteristics that I found challenging.
1. There is a 'pop' sound thru the speakers when I turn the unit on. It isn't loud persay, but a bit undignified for a modern day unit.
2. When I am using my HTPC I had to disable the menu sounds entirely as the decoder would switch to 'lock' mode and intermittantly mute menu sounds.
3. If I fast forward a video on my htpc, it would briefly playback raw bitstream noise which was very concerning - as many know, it is a harsh sound that can damage speakers if the volume is up.
4. The front panel display is reminiscent of a old texas instruments calculator. I found it very difficult if not impossible to read from a distance. So every time I switched sources or music formats, I had to walk up to the unit and press the surround mode button on the remote whilst watching the scrolling display to make sure it was the surround mode I wanted.
5. The unit didn't seem to save each inputs surround mode settings so anytime I switched inputs I had to repeatedly click thru the formats to find the one I normally use for that source. As stated in no. 4, everytime I had to do this I was required to walk up to the units display panel.
6. Speaker volume setting increments are in a full db instead of .5 db. I found it difficult to get the exact balance - though this is not a deal breaker as you can get close enough. I just ran the surrounds a half db quiter than they called for.
7. No custom naming for inputs. This isn't a deal breaker either, but it sure would be nice to know which input is which by custom name.

Overall I rate the sound quality high, but the seemingly archaic switching and display proved to be unbecoming of a modern day processor. If you aren't using a HTPC then you may not experience the inadaquecies I did, in which case I'd highly recommend this unit.
The amplifier blows away the amp section of my Z1 and other recievers I've been demoing. Just no comparison in its ability to create authority in the sound and confidence that you will NOT run out of power playing the most dynamic and loud movies and music.

Edited by Tidan (05/27/14 10:11 PM)