Just found out that speaker companies use to label some models as 4 ohm so they would sell better. In reality they were 8 ohm speakers. Just read this in Klipsch area.

Now I have no trust in speaker ohm labels. Can I just take a multimeter and measure the speaker to get the real rating?

"I did at one time have a mis-matched pair of Forte's. One was factory marked 4 ohm and the other was marked 8 ohm. The funny part is that both of them had EXACTLY the same drivers and crossovers inside. On top of that they both measured exactly the same impedance at the terminals.

When I inquired about this the answer was that there was a time when 4 ohm speakers fell out of favor "marketing" wise so Klipsch simply re-branded them as 8 ohm in order to stay current with market demands. As I recall they both measured around 6 ohms (nominal) at the terminals.

If your question relates to whether you should hook them up to the 8 ohm taps or the 4 ohm taps on your amp my suggestion is to try both. You'll do no harm to the amp either way. Which ever one sounds best is the one you want to use. I've had tube amps that 8 ohm rated speakers sounded best on the 4 ohm connections and others that 4 ohm speakers sounded best on the 8 ohm taps. Go figure?First of all welcome to one of the best forums that you'll ever encounter.

"'m the one who contacted Klipsch in the link that silversport posted about impedance. I can't believe that the KG4 can be considered 8 ohm"

[img]http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=191860&d=1264613046[/img]

Edited by BobJ (05/09/14 03:42 AM)