My system is a single zone with only one display and sporting a 5.1 system. No future plans to change this setup, so things like multiple HDMI outputs and zone two controls don’t do anything for me. I am 85% movies and 15% music. I use a PS3 for BD (will most likely upgrade to the new Oppo BD player), a DirecTV DVR, a couple of amps, a 70” SXRD2 display and you have my front end. After I rebuild my sub, my speaker setup will be complete. The last link in the system is a new (or used high end) Pre/pro. Both of these processors are on my short list for that spot. The most important feature of this new unit will have to be sound quality for both movies and music. Music may make up only a small percentage of my usage but I feel the SQ is more critical with music than with movies. It looks like these two processors will be going head to head in the market. With the 997 priced around $1400 and the XMC at $1000+ (price not set yet, just an estimate). Both units offered by internet companies and offering great value and outstanding customer service. It sounds like the 997 will hit the market months before the XMC, so that will be an advantage to Outlaw. From what I can gather from the published spec’s on these two units, the XMC may have a higher quality video section while the 997 may be a better audio unit. This conclusion is based on the emphasis each company has put on these sections by their choice processors and software. Emo’s choice to add Genesis Torino video processing and their own Emo-Q room correction verse Outlaw’s Silicon Optix Reon video processing and the Trinnov Optimizer for room correction. The Twin Cirrus 32 bit dual core DSP chips Emo will be using will have more processing power as it was explained, these chips can handle a 192k signal and process it at that rate. It was said that the TI chip(s) are limited to 96k and will truncate a 192k signal back down to 96k for processing. If this is true, the Cirrus chip solution seems the better choice. Emo will be using Analog Devices 24/192 DACs and Outlaw only references that the chips will be 24/192 DACs so it is hard to draw a comparison at this time. The only other thing that I can see that would make a big difference to me is that the Outlaw’s USB is Bi directional. I am assuming this will at minimum allow for a MP3 hookup or preferably can be used to control an external hard drive to act as a music sever. Emo has this listed for use as software upgrades only.
I know real comparisons are not possible until these units are actually in people’s hands but while waiting I continue to shop and I have to compare these two against used units so I can make the right buying decision. Any constructive comments are welcome as I am not married to either of these brands and only want the best Pre/pro for my money. This post is only my opinion, needs and wants will be different for everyone and things may change as these units get closer to production.