I just received a b-stock 1070 today. Initial impressions after a few hours of playing:

Build Quality
Very nice sturdy construction. Simple and uncluttered. I love the all metal binding posts. While unpacking I did notice that one of the screws securing the RS-232 port was loose, and the other one missing. Luckily I found it rolling around in the bottom of the box. One of the screws holding the back panel on the 1070 was halfway unscrewed as well. No batteries were included for the remote.(Note: This is a b-stock unit)

Set-up
Pretty straight forward following the manual. It would be nice if there could be separate speaker settings for each input. For example, I usually watch television with speakers set to large and switch them over to small to watch DVDs or listen to CDs.

The on-screen display is very nice...and it needs to be. As others have noted, the display on the front of the 1070 is simply a cruel joke. The text is tiny and unreadable from more than a few feet away.

Remote
Cleanly designed and layed out, and I like the blue back-lighting. The buttons are nicely sized, shaped, and spaced. I already have issues with the way it functions however. I find it odd and uncomfortable having to press one of the source buttons (DVD, VIDEO 1, CD) to turn on the receiver. The manual notes that this is helpful for the use of programmable remotes - perhaps I'll appreciate this more after picking up a Harmony.

I also find it odd that I cannot change surround modes while the remote is set to operate my cable box. I have to switch the remote back over to TNR before I can try a different Dolby or PLII mode, for example. On the other hand, the Volume Control Punch-Through function is very handy, and allows the use of the volume and mute controls to operate on the receiver even when the remote is set to operate another device.

Speaking of surround modes, it does not appear that I can use five or seven channel stereo mode when listening to 'digital' cable channels (only the analog channels). This is our preferred surround mode for television (with the exception of movie channels broadcasting in Dolby 5.1). If I am missing something...please let me know as we are not thrilled about this limitation.

I was able to set-up the remote to operate my cable box, TV and CD player using the preprogrammed codes, but not my DVD/VCR combo. I already miss having a learning remote.

Video-switching
I am using three video feeds switched through the 1070 - digital cable through an S-Video cable, DVD player through component, and VCR over a composite cable. The video out to my TV is through a component cable. Though I have not tried the VCR yet, the picture on cable and DVD are excellent.

Sound
I have only listened to bits and pieces of music and movies and television, so I can't give a full report on sound quality. I will say that I was a little concerned going from a "110" watt per channel receiver to the Outlaw rated at 65 watts per channel, but it turns out I had nothing to worry about...the Outlaw sounds more dynamic and powerful than my old receiver (Note - my speakers are from Ascend Acoustics and are not difficult loads to drive).