This situation demonstrates one of the reasons I appreciate the OA methodology – even if every product is not ‘wrinkle free’. In my view OA is situated in a rather good place along the range of priorities between a measured approach (with some wisdom applied) at one end and maximizing the number of units sold annually at the other. The manufacturers and retailers that will have new models coming to market at least annually, if not more often, are not likely as concerned with product ‘usefulness longevity’ as a company that is going to replace a current model only every three to five years. The ‘annual companies’ are just going to move on and, in a sense, try to drive consumer demand. The ‘3to5 companies’ are in a position to say, “What demand(s) will we really need to respond to?” The ‘3to5 companies’ won’t be the first out of the gate trying to drive consumer expectation, but when they do arrive, likely they’ve had time to be wiser in their approach.

In this respect, I am glad that OA takes the clamor at the gates for ‘new, more, now’ in stride – whether the patience of those making the noise holds out or not.

IMHO, with the media computer firmly on the horizon of the commonplace future, what processors need to be ready for, as a primary source, is whatever format(s) the audio/video cards will providing – regardless of whether the data arrives in the computer via a provider’s stream/channel, as a disc, or as a prior download. Some folks may keep separate players for their own reasons, but I think the mass market will eventually have the one ‘box’ that handles all source material, and out of that, one main data pipeline for audio use, perhaps with analog outputs as well. (I’m using 7.1 analog out of a recently purchased PC.) With DVI already in use as a computer output format for video, a full-fledged, all-inclusive HDMI format may the way we’re going.

Bottom line: Whether HDMI or any other format/standard, I won’t feel that I’m behind the times until there is source material commonly available with content I can’t properly take advantage of, the format/standard has reached a fairly mature state, and there is real price competition for the equipment involved. As long as the next generation of Outlaw processor is available by that point, that’s good enough for me.

Outlaws: I appreciate your ‘reasoned, seasoned’ approach. Whether by philosophy, necessity or both, keep resisting the clamor for immediacy.