well in my case, I can't control the vol/output level of my source, and I don't think anyone, not just me, has to pay for extra equipment to remedy a fault on something that you paid the full price for. I think the best thing is to try to live with it.
It has to do with the principle, not whether one can do it or not.

I must say I'm a bit disappointed. From all I heard at av123 and other places I had high (perhaps too high) expectations of the Outlaw CS...
In order get a sense of how bad this vol and source knob problem is I called Outlaw and talked to a gentleman from CS, and not only did he get edgy and short once I mentioned the problem, his answer to it was basically "I don't know what to tell you/that's the way it is", and never accepted it as a fault.

I really do want to like this receiver, and still haven't given up on it, so I hope if/when I order it, the SQ would make up for it.

Just when I thought these were the only 2 things I have to deal with, I just saw another post where the tuner doesn't work as it's described in the manual (something with resets not working the way they should)...