Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 13 14 >
Topic Options
#94696 - 01/17/15 10:21 AM Re: Posts on what we'd like to see in a new pre-pro? [Re: plw]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Quoted from xenonman: "New processor is in the works right now and is currently slated to be out around the start of summer."

"With product quality, performance, and reliability being the essential qualities of any Outlaw product, we are deliberately taking a measured approach with regard to development and introduction date."

My thinking is, add three months to the "start of summer" estimate. I'm hoping for the next holiday season. My current 975 is proving to be a great stopgap until Outlaw's latest and greatest arrives. It's making the wait more bearable.

With HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, it should have 4k video to go with the immersive audio formats.

Edited by Helson (01/17/15 10:22 AM)

#94718 - 01/21/15 05:33 PM Re: Posts on what we'd like to see in a new pre-pro? [Re: plw]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
From the update, it sounds like the new processor is going to be pretty whiz bang. Based on what they are adding I agree the beginning of summer is very optimistic. I love the idea of both object based codecs being in one device. The addition of HD radio is also a nice touch. I do wonder what they will use for room correction and how the price point will change.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#94719 - 01/21/15 09:06 PM Re: Posts on what we'd like to see in a new pre-pro? [Re: plw]
legivens Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Euless, Texas, USA
I personally don't really care about the HD radio, but am very curious what will be used for the room correction.
Outlaw Model 7900
Outlaw Model 5000 (for the ceiling speakers)
Marantz AV7702 MK2
Oppo BDP-105D
Axiom M80's, GoldenEar Super XXL, GoldenEar Aon 3's (sides and rears), GoldenEar HTR 7000's (in-ceiling for Atmos/DTS:X)
Outlaw LFM1-Plus and EX
Directv HD DVR
2 HD Monster Power centers
PS3
Harmony One

#94720 - 01/21/15 09:42 PM Re: Posts on what we'd like to see in a new pre-pro? [Re: plw]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
I didn't see anything in the Outlaw post that would lead me to believe there would be any room correction in the new processor. I'm guessing they might skip it to avoid any additional licensing, but we'll have to wait to find out.

I'm not cutting holes in my ceiling yet...
LG 65" OLED
RR2150 w/Klipsch SCR-2

#94721 - 01/22/15 07:14 AM Re: Posts on what we'd like to see in a new pre-pro? [Re: plw]
Patrick Williams Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brewster, NY USA
As the (cancelled) 978 was to include XT32 room correction, I'd be REALLY surprised if this new pre/pro didn't include either XT32 or something similar.

#94727 - 01/22/15 02:13 PM Re: Posts on what we'd like to see in a new pre-pro? [Re: plw]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Room correction would still be a valuable tool for those owners that don't wish to use the newer codecs and I think will likely be provided in some form.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#94728 - 01/22/15 02:52 PM Re: Posts on what we'd like to see in a new pre-pro? [Re: plw]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Texas
An analyzer function with 8 to 10 bands of user definable parametric eq would be something I would buy into. Automated room correction set-up always seemed clumsy to me making the process harder than it has to be. Put up the analyzer in an OSD showing separate time align/EQ functions. Either process could be automated or manual at the users discretion.

Once the time alignment is done the EQ process is straightforward enough. Find ring/null and level same

and a dim-able display please

#94732 - 01/23/15 04:31 PM Re: Posts on what we'd like to see in a new pre-pro? [Re: plw]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
It is good to get an understanding of the fundamentals of software based room correction -- http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/201071room-correction-a-primer-html/

Same author, little different perspective -- http://www.hifizine.com/2010/09/the-three-acoustical-issues-a-room-correction-product-can%E2%80%99t-actually-correct/

I think I have posted this before, it mostly explains the hows and whys of FIR filters (that are the basis of how Audyssey works) in contrast to "parametric EQ". Of course there is some "propaganda" too https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries/215529-MultEQ-vs-other-equalization-methods-

There are other folks that probably find the limitations of FIR filters detrimental, and that is why I say there is a little "propaganada" in the piece.

I also know the folks from Dirac claim to a propriety means of adjusting for room acoustics -- again, they want you to try and ultimately buy their software / products, but the mostly informative info should help understand why a traditional parametric EQ dialed for flatness (or even some suitably 'warm' target...) can't really do as much as true high resolution correction -- http://www.dirac.se/en/technologies/dirac-live/technical-description.aspx

I know that Peter is aware of these things too and it will be interesting to see how he approaches them...

#94736 - 01/24/15 01:14 AM Re: Posts on what we'd like to see in a new pre-pro? [Re: plw]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Texas
I have been doing some reading regarding some of the various correction methods and options.

I find it interesting that you included the Acoustic Frontiers site. It has been a site I have visited regularly for some time and have found the articles quite informative. They are big fans of Parametric EQ but seem to advocate using it sparingly which is a philosophy I share. I particularly like the article on base management.

Unless the center channel throws things for a loop (not expected) I could get by with two bands of EQ both below 100hz and have something most people would find quite pleasant. I understand that as an installer that does not work for you but for me it makes life quick and simple.

I readily concede the point that I am in the minority. I like reading your posts and always learn something from them

#94740 - 01/24/15 12:10 PM Re: Posts on what we'd like to see in a new pre-pro? [Re: renov8r]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
renov8r,
Those are nice articles. You're right, there is a little bit of snake oil in the Dirac and MultiEQ articles but the Mellor articles are very good.

Back in the late 80's some friends and I built a prototype FIR based equalizer. The advantage being that FIR filters are linear phase and thus you can have multiple filters at different frequencies that at the end of the day all sum up with the same group delay. Back then each filter circuit was the size of a pizza box and not very practical. Alas, we did not patent the idea...(End old man rant)

Everyone is touting their particular solution. In all honesty both IIR and FIR filter have their pros and cons. A FIR filter depends only on the input data to calculate the output. The IIR filter uses the input data AND previous output data to calculate the output (i.e. it uses feedback). And THAT is the only real difference between the two filter structures.

The problem with feedback is too much can lead to oscillation. This is great if your name is Ted Nugent, but not so great for home theater. However IIR filters are well understood and can be designed to avoid oscillation.

The other issue (not necessarily a problem) is that IIR filters have non-linear phase. I'm not going to get into Z-transforms which explain why the phase is non-linear. However I will say that I have never seen anything that explains how much non-linearity has to exist before you actually hear a difference.

To say that a FIR filter is better than an IIR filter just because it's a FIR filter is misleading. As always, it's your ears that should make the determination.

Oh, btw, the impulse response of your room is what it is. Unless you change your room (treatments, carpeting, adding more people, etc.) you aren't going to change it's impulse response. Any filter you add/change to your system is going to alter its impulse response, so yeah, everyone is modifying the impulse response of their system whether they call it that, or not.

Yes, it will be interesting to see if the new processor has room correction. I'm still thinking "No".
LG 65" OLED
RR2150 w/Klipsch SCR-2

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 13 14 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts