Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#95189 - 06/30/15 09:57 AM Re: Model differences [Re: Shaam]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
How silly of me to expect scientific testing data. Had I known that I could just rely on "singing italian's" word for it, I'd have bought a dozen units by now. :P

The "correct answer" from Outlaw would have been something like "Ooops, that was an oversight. Of course, we have test data for all of our products and we'll update the product page an manual with the SNR specifications."

However, based on the response from Ben, it doesn't appear to have been an oversight. So it leaves me wondering why they made such an obvious omission.

*shrug*

#95190 - 07/01/15 11:13 AM Re: Model differences [Re: Ritz2]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Ritz2

I haven't heard either. Audition both and return the one you don't want. You're only responsible for the original shipping charge on the one you return.

My concern would be the noise floor difference. S/N specs aren't listed in the 5000 product page. I find it odd that S/N is listed for all the other amps they sell, but not this one (not in the product page or in the manual).

Maybe you should audition the Emo XPA-5 and the Outlaw 5000 and let us all know what you think. Is the potentially extra dB ratio above 100dB worth the extra bucks?
As I stated earlier, with any SNR above 100dB, the noise would no longer be discernable. ~83dB at 1 Watt, the 5000's SNR is sure to be somewhere above 100dB at full rated power.

I at least like the distortion specs listed for the 5000. I tend to also rely on third party reviews, like the one Singing Italian has provided, Thanks!
I also have read and watched the listed reviews Ben has referred to. Impressive.
Sure, the SNR was not posted for the 5000, for whatever reason. Certainly won't be a deal breaker for me.

#95192 - 07/01/15 08:30 PM Re: Model differences [Re: Shaam]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

I'm not in the auditioning mood these days. Happy with my Krell amp. smile

Think about how much time your amp spends @ 1W (or less) and then how much it spends at full rated power. Unless you're DJ'ing raves, I suspect I know the answer and which measurement means more.

I'm glad that you and your compadre will take things on faith and that the withholding of technical data that is standard in the industry doesn't phase you.

One would think that if the news was good it would be shared. If the news isn't so good you appear to get the slow roll.

But hey, anyone who wants to roll the dice can do so. If you don't like it, send it back. Outlaw is good for their word that they'll take it back if you're not happy.

Best,

#95193 - 07/02/15 11:24 AM Re: Model differences [Re: Shaam]
elwaylite Offline
Gunslinger

All I see from your posting, with the repetitive negative feel and "out the side of your mouth" insults to other posters, is someone with an axe to grind. Why are you even on the outlaw forums?

You use things like "roll the dice", take things on "faith", and then say you love your Krell amp. Get over yourself.

Edited by elwaylite (07/02/15 11:25 AM)

#95195 - 07/03/15 07:31 AM Re: Model differences [Re: Shaam]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

I don't see any insults from me here. I can't say the same for you.

I noted the lack of data. Outlaw said "go look at this 3rd party review" if I wanted the data. I did. The data was average. Moving on....

*shrug*

I post here because I'm an Outlaw customer. Feel free to ignore my comments if you don't like them.

Edited by Ritz2 (07/03/15 07:32 AM)

#95196 - 07/04/15 07:14 AM Re: Model differences [Re: Ritz2]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I'm not in the auditioning mood these days. Happy with my Krell amp. smile

Think about how much time your amp spends @ 1W (or less) and then how much it spends at full rated power. Unless you're DJ'ing raves, I suspect I know the answer and which measurement means more.

I'm glad that you and your compadre will take things on faith and that the withholding of technical data that is standard in the industry doesn't phase you.

One would think that if the news was good it would be shared. If the news isn't so good you appear to get the slow roll.

But hey, anyone who wants to roll the dice can do so. If you don't like it, send it back. Outlaw is good for their word that they'll take it back if you're not happy.

Best,

You're the one looking for the full rated spec. I happen to think 83 dB @ 1 watt is very good. My perspective of what the full rated spec most likely should be given the reviewed 1 Watt spec was for you. But, as you say, you're not in the market to buy.
So, if amplifiers are very rarely, if ever driven to full rated power, something I agree with, what's so important about needing to see that spec? Maybe you wanted to point out it wasn't there? You did, move on.

#95197 - 07/04/15 07:18 PM Re: Model differences [Re: Helson]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: Helson

You're the one looking for the full rated spec. I happen to think 83 dB @ 1 watt is very good. My perspective of what the full rated spec most likely should be given the reviewed 1 Watt spec was for you. But, as you say, you're not in the market to buy.
So, if amplifiers are very rarely, if ever driven to full rated power, something I agree with, what's so important about needing to see that spec? Maybe you wanted to point out it wasn't there? You did, move on.

Actually, I wasn't "looking for the full rated spec." I was looking for ANY SNR spec. Neither the 1W or the full-rated SNR is listed by Outlaw. I pulled the spec above from the review that was cited. 83db @ 1W is OK. Not awful, but not great either. I wasn't expecting audiophile numbers given the price point, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an amplifier manufacturer publish such a common data point, especially given the types of folks that this segment seems to attract....people looking for high performance while not breaking the bank. Wow, that was an awfully long sentence.

I still continue to enjoy what remains of my Outlaw equipment, a couple of LFM-1 units.

Best,

#95200 - 07/13/15 03:59 PM Re: Model differences [Re: Ritz2]
singing italian Offline
Gunslinger

Interesting. Scientific data = insecurity. I'll have to make a note of that. Perhaps someone should inform NASA.

I did take note of your BBB claim and looked for myself. There are 6 BBB complaints in the last THREE YEARS. I only looked at the details of the single one for the previous twelve months. It had nothing to do with the equipment and was a dispute over shipping (the buyer refused to sign for the 170lb package because it wasn't delivered to their doorstep and then complained that they had to eat the shipping charge).

I'm not an Emotiva customer, but I thought that was a rather cheap shot on your part.

*shrug*

Cheap Shot you say. Not at all. Consumers need to be informed.
Since I first posted the " Cheap Shot" Emotiva Audio customer service continues to fall.

Emotiva Audio Corporation

(615) 790-6754View Additional Phone Numbers135 SE Parkway Ct, Franklin, TN 37064-3968http://www.emotiva.com

BBB® Non-Accredited D- Rating
On a scale of A+ to F Reason for Rating BBB Ratings System Overview
- See more at: http://www.bbb.org/nashville/business-re...h.wo3U6Ryc.dpuf

Outlaw Audio A+ Life Time Rating.

#95201 - 07/13/15 09:48 PM Re: Model differences [Re: Shaam]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Interesting. Another complaint about shipping charges (not the product). So now there's a whopping TWO complaints in the past 12 months.

*yawn*

You guys are amusing. You take a genuine question about Outlaw "hiding" data on their new amp and turn it into FUD based on two complaints of people who seem to have issues with shipping charges rather than the quality of their purchase.

Is that really the best you can do?

Again, I no longer own my Outlaw amp and I've never owned an Emotiva amp so I don't really have a dog in this fight. However, the response to a relatively innocuous ask about amp specifications has been eye opening. Might I suggest a bit of educational reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (07/13/15 09:52 PM)

#95202 - 07/14/15 03:52 PM Re: Model differences [Re: Shaam]
Outlaw Ben Offline

Gunslinger

Gentlemen,

We are not here to talk badly about our competitors. Voicing personal experiences and thoughts when owning other pieces of equipment is perfectly acceptable; however, there is no need to make comments about a competitor's BBB rating. We try not to get too involved in the forums and to instead let things run their course. With that said, when subject matter turns to knocking other companies, we have to draw the line.

It is provocative at best, if not downright confrontational, when someone "yawn(s)" in regards to another's post and continues on to ask if that is the best they can do. This kind of approach is not what we are about at Outlaw Audio.

When someone claims we are hiding things after we have offered to speak with them multiple times, have responded with bench tests, provided an amplifier's SNR at its very worst, and in addition, also provided THD + N then it is clear they will not be satisfied and it is time to move on.

Therefore, this topic will now be locked; it is about time we go back to the hobby that brought us all here and enjoy some music and movies, whether it's on an Emotiva, Krell or Outlaw system, or anything else available in the market place.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM