Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#95143 - 05/28/15 02:47 PM Model differences
Shaam Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi,

I am looking to purchase Model 5000. I just want to know the difference between Model 5000 and 7125 before making a purchase.
Is it just additional channels, 5 extra watts of power per channel and manufacturing location or something more than that?

Thanks

#95147 - 06/01/15 07:23 PM Re: Model differences [Re: Shaam]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
7125 = made in USA by ATI for Outlaw
5000 = made in China by ???

You already know about the difference in number of channels (2 less for the 5000) and difference in price (5000 is 60% of the price of a 7125).
I haven't heard either. Audition both and return the one you don't want. You're only responsible for the original shipping charge on the one you return.

My concern would be the noise floor difference. S/N specs aren't listed in the 5000 product page. I find it odd that S/N is listed for all the other amps they sell, but not this one (not in the product page or in the manual).

Best,

#95149 - 06/02/15 01:11 PM Re: Model differences [Re: Shaam]
Outlaw Ben Offline

Gunslinger

No worries about noise, the THD+N of this amplifier is only .05%! Outlaw Audio would never sell a noisy amplifier. We have had some great reviews of this amplifier from Audioholics to CNET to personal reviews from customers (please note: there is some cussing in the personal review that may not be appropriate for the younger Outlaws smile ).

The sonic signature of both amps will be very clean and neutral. With the Model 7125, you are paying for 2 extra channels of amplification. I'd be glad to discuss both amplifiers with you at (866) OUTLAWS.

#95150 - 06/02/15 07:04 PM Re: Model differences [Re: Shaam]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

OK then. Why not just publish the S/N spec? Now I'm curious.

Thanks,

#95151 - 06/04/15 01:59 PM Re: Model differences [Re: Shaam]
Outlaw Ben Offline

Gunslinger

If you are curious about the SNR, Audioholic's review, listed above, has a nice graph of the SNR and stated "The Model 5000 exhibited a commendably good noise floor of around 80-83dB at 1 watt, A-weighted." Bear in mind, 1 watt is when your signal to noise ratio will be at its worst. If you have questions about what this means in your real world environment, comparing SNR with other amplifiers, or have other questions about the Model 5000, we can always be reached M-F 9:00am - 5:00pm EST at (866) OUTLAWS.

#95154 - 06/04/15 09:33 PM Re: Model differences [Re: Shaam]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

OK, I guess I'll read that review then. I didn't think it was that big of a deal to ask why the manufacturer doesn't publish that data. If you didn't publish it for any of your amps, I'd perhaps be more understanding, but you only neglect to include it for that one particular amp. Strange.

80-83db @ 1W isn't particularly great. I'd classify that as acceptable, but nothing to write home about. Emotiva's XPA-5 (now their cheapest 5 channel amp) spec's out at 95db @ 1W and 119db at rated power. Just sayin...I haven't listened to that one either.

It would be great if Outlaw would make test data available like that company does. For example:

https://emotiva.com/resources/media/xpa5/xpa5_gen2_8ohm.pdf

Just using them as an example since you're both in the mail order audio business and cater to a similar market.

Best,

#95182 - 06/23/15 08:31 PM Re: Model differences [Re: Ritz2]
singing italian Offline
Gunslinger

I have owned 2 separate XPR-5 amplifiers and my best friend owns one as well which I had on extended loan for 3.5 months. If you can get a good sample it provides a lot of power for the money. My friends sample was well made and extremely quiet even when connected to 5 Klipsch Cornwall speakers rated at 102db. I was not lucky. The amplifiers I received had poor fit and finish and were noisy. Emotiva Audio customer service is extremely deceptive when dealing with customer complaints. Check out the Emotiva Audio Better Business Bureau complaints. In all cases Emotiva Audio created lengthy process times before resolving the problems. In my opinion the good folks at Outlaw Audio seemed to be able to communicate better with the Chinese because my 5000 arrived looking liked a new component. Fit and finish was was almost equal to the 7700 I owned and it functioned perfectly. The reviews are accurate in describing the 5000 amplifier performance. I would not get hung up on one spec. Maybe if they charged more money you would sleep better. Number crunching is for the insecure I would not get caught up in that. The amplifier is $$$$ 599. Enough hearsay listen to one in person
I am looking forward to a 5 channel 400 watt amplifier next.
My 5000 is about 2 months old. Its the best bang for the buck I have seen in a long time. I have been in audio since 1974. My expectations have now been raised as to price verses performance.

#95183 - 06/27/15 07:20 AM Re: Model differences [Re: Shaam]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Interesting. Scientific data = insecurity. I'll have to make a note of that. Perhaps someone should inform NASA.

I did take note of your BBB claim and looked for myself. There are 6 BBB complaints in the last THREE YEARS. I only looked at the details of the single one for the previous twelve months. It had nothing to do with the equipment and was a dispute over shipping (the buyer refused to sign for the 170lb package because it wasn't delivered to their doorstep and then complained that they had to eat the shipping charge).

I'm not an Emotiva customer, but I thought that was a rather cheap shot on your part. Publishing the SNR data for an audio amplifier when you want to market yourself as a high end audio company seems like a no brainer. I have been an Outlaw customer in the past and did find their service to be fantastic and I've noted that on a number of occasions here so nobody is disputing that. I know this first hand because I had an LFM sub that failed soon after purchase (the amp component). I was sent a new amp module which I had to install. No biggie...no muss...no fuss.

*shrug*

#95186 - 06/28/15 10:28 AM Re: Model differences [Re: Shaam]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
It used to be that any SNR, 100dB or greater, was considered excellent. Maybe it still is, by some of us. Now the SNR spec is "marketed" to upwards of 119dB or so. The "considered" excellent nature of "greater than 100dB ", is because, at that level or higher, noise is no longer discernible. Ben is correct, in that, measurements at 1 Watt, are when the SNR is at its worst. In my experience, Outlaw strives to offer products high in audio quality, first and foremost. I currently have the 975/7075 combo, which sounds great in my system.
I don't own the 5000 (yet), but I am considering purchasing one. Waiting for the Outlaw Atmos processor to come out. Then, I'll need another four channels of amplification. I also looked at the BBB listing, and also typed up Outlaw. Interestingly enough, but not surprising, Outlaw had no complaints with a rating of A+.

#95187 - 06/28/15 07:40 PM Re: Model differences [Re: Ritz2]
singing italian Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: Ritz2
Interesting. Scientific data = insecurity. I'll have to make a note of that. Perhaps someone should inform NASA.

I did take note of your BBB claim and looked for myself. There are 6 BBB complaints in the last THREE YEARS. I only looked at the details of the single one for the previous twelve months. It had nothing to do with the equipment and was a dispute over shipping (the buyer refused to sign for the 170lb package because it wasn't delivered to their doorstep and then complained that they had to eat the shipping charge).

I'm not an Emotiva customer, but I thought that was a rather cheap shot on your part. Publishing the SNR data for an audio amplifier when you want to market yourself as a high end audio company seems like a no brainer. I have been an Outlaw customer in the past and did find their service to be fantastic and I've noted that on a number of occasions here so nobody is disputing that. I know this first hand because I had an LFM sub that failed soon after purchase (the amp component). I was sent a new amp module which I had to install. No biggie...no muss...no fuss.

*shrug*

Whenever I go to a restaurant and receive a satisfying meal that is fairly priced I always tell my friends and family members so others can enjoy it as well. This is the experience I received with the purchase my 5000. The meal experience I had with the 3 times higher price Emotiva product was considerably less. If I wanted to deliver cheap shots I could have posted my entire experience with both pictures and a fully detailed time line of the events. I sparred everyone of that. My point to you specifically was you need not worry about this amplifier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM