Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#94495 - 10/30/14 03:34 AM Re: Marantz AV77702 with Dolby Atmos [Re: Owl's_Warder]
dandiodati Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Dublin,CA
I have a older Outlaw 950 Preamp with 7100 amp which is still working strong but want to upgrade. Was considering the 575 but now there is the new atmos processor coming out. Is there going to be any trade in programs to make me consider buying the 575 now and trading it in for the newer atmos processor later ?

Edited by dandiodati (10/30/14 03:34 AM)

#94498 - 10/30/14 06:25 PM Re: Marantz AV77702 with Dolby Atmos [Re: dandiodati]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

dandiodati,

To address your concerns, here is what we wrote when we announced we were starting work on an Outlaw Atmos processor:

... "we will offer special programs for owners of current Outlaw processors so that present and future owners of the Model 975 can experience its award winning performance while being assured of an attractive pathway to this new processor."

Peter

#94503 - 10/31/14 03:33 PM Re: Marantz AV77702 with Dolby Atmos [Re: dandiodati]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Somehow I missed that line! Thanks, Peter!

#94524 - 11/10/14 11:08 AM Re: Marantz AV77702 with Dolby Atmos [Re: dandiodati]
bootman Offline
Gunslinger

This is indeed a nice unit and not just with Atmos!

Auro 3D is a planned upgrade in Dec.

http://www.auro-3d.com/blog/denon-and-marantz-to-support-auro-3d-upgrade-available-in-december/

For those who are unfamiliar with Auro 3D here is a video:

Like many, I can't cut in ceiling speakers for an optimal Atmos install, however I can easily do height speakers.
...and I suspect many can also. smile

Edited by bootman (11/10/14 11:09 AM)

#94525 - 11/10/14 08:18 PM Re: Marantz AV77702 with Dolby Atmos [Re: bootman]
mdrconsult Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
bootman,

Thank you for you posts. The Auro 3D video was very interesting. Also, I think it's great that the AV7702 is going to support it. However, I'm having a hard time conceiving how you could get both Atmos and Auro 3D to coexist in the same room (assuming a home theatre) without having a bunch of extra speakers and possibly having to switch cables back and forth. Auro does not want the ceiling speakers and frankly most Atmos users would probably be using the upward pointing speakers anyway. And I don't know what Atmos would do with the elevation speakers that are required for Auro. So it seems to me the average consumer would have to pick one or the other setup.

If in fact you are effectively limited to just one of these technologies for a given speaker configuration, may initial feeling would be to go with the Auro. My reasoning being that the requisite elevation speakers could use a greater variety of speakers, i.e. ones that would match sonically with my 5.1 equipment. However, another thing to consider is going to be how much content will there be. In that regard I think Auro is way behind. I think I'll wait this one out for awhile before I jump in.

Now the next big question is will Outlaw's upcoming processor support Auro. I'm almost hoping it won't! I'd hate to see the Outlaw processor get caught in the death spiral of feature creep.
Emotiva XMC-1, Outlaw 7500, Sonus Faber Olympica III Fronts, SF Liuto Center, SF Surrounds, LFM-1 EX, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV (Gen. 4), Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP, Outlaw Cables, PS Audio Power Quintet, Duet and power cords.

#94530 - 11/12/14 12:28 AM Re: Marantz AV77702 with Dolby Atmos [Re: mdrconsult]
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Originally Posted By: mdrconsult
I'm having a hard time conceiving how you could get both Atmos and Auro 3D to coexist in the same room (assuming a home theatre) without having a bunch of extra speakers and possibly having to switch cables back and forth.
The main 5.1 speakers around ear level are the same for Atmos and Auro. If the first pair of height speakers are designated "Front Heights" then they will work with Atmos and Auro (and their associated upmixers) and even DTS Neo:X.

The problem is the second pair of height speakers. If you designate them "Surround Heights", then they will only work with Auro, since there is no such designation for Atmos. Likewise, if you designate them "Top Middle" or "Top Rear", then they will only work with Atmos, since those designations don't apply to Auro.

So it's not so dire, since all the speakers except one pair will work with both formats. Personally, I would not fuss over Auro. There doesn't seem to be enough content on the horizon to make it worth the rumored $249-299 firmware upgrade.

#94538 - 11/17/14 11:03 PM Re: Marantz AV77702 with Dolby Atmos [Re: dandiodati]
crlalbr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Peter,

I applaud Outlaw's efforts at design and operation simplicity, since the Marantz processor represents overkill for my system. However, I would like to suggest the following from my experience with the 975 processor. I would drop some of the older technology such as composite and component jacks in favor of including 7.1 analog ch jacks for use with DSD rather than PCM as well as HDMI of course. A processor ranging in the $1K range is what I am driving at.

crlalbr

#94548 - 11/25/14 07:10 PM Re: Marantz AV77702 with Dolby Atmos [Re: dandiodati]
legivens Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Euless, Texas, USA
I'm not sure this is the appropriate place to put this, but I found it interesting. The Dolby layouts I've seen for ATMOS haven't really agreed with my thoughts on positioning. Also, I really hadn't put much thought into using wide channels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DFbqJkjfABQ

Edited by legivens (11/25/14 07:12 PM)
Outlaw Model 7900
Outlaw Model 5000 (for the ceiling speakers)
Marantz AV7702 MK2
Oppo BDP-105D
Axiom M80's, GoldenEar Super XXL, GoldenEar Aon 3's (sides and rears), GoldenEar HTR 7000's (in-ceiling for Atmos/DTS:X)
Outlaw LFM1-Plus and EX
Directv HD DVR
2 HD Monster Power centers
PS3
Harmony One

#94549 - 11/25/14 10:13 PM Re: Marantz AV77702 with Dolby Atmos [Re: legivens]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
First off: Thanks for that link. I thought 1 hour 12 minutes? You're kidding? but I was riveted.

And it brings up the very important question of what is the minimal, best-bang-for-the-buck Dolby ATMOS configuration for home theater use?

If we believe the video post (which makes a lot of sense from an engineering point of view, imho) then there is more benefit for a 9.x.2 system than there is for a 7.x.4 system.

So what paradigm is the new Outlaw processor going to implement? And why? I say without shame that my house is currently full out Outlaw Audio. products Why should I take the next step?
LG 65" OLED
RR2150 w/Klipsch SCR-2

#94554 - 11/28/14 08:02 PM Re: Marantz AV77702 with Dolby Atmos [Re: EEman]
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Originally Posted By: EEman
And it brings up the very important question of what is the minimal, best-bang-for-the-buck Dolby ATMOS configuration for home theater use?
The minimal 5.1.2 set-up will give you the essence of Atmos by letting you hear sounds around you vs sounds above you. For anyone that already has a minimal 5.1 set-up, that means either adding a pair of speakers overhead or a pair of Atmos-enabled height modules. Everything beyond that is an incremental improvement (i.e., better sounds around you and better sounds above you).
Quote:
If we believe the video post (which makes a lot of sense from an engineering point of view, imho) then there is more benefit for a 9.x.2 system than there is for a 7.x.4 system.
A little lopsided for my tastes. Given 11 speakers, I would do a more balanced 7 around me and 4 above me. Plus, 4 speakers above allows for left-vs-right AND front-vs-back movement overhead.

Grimani's rooms tend to be a bit overdamped for my tastes. By absorbing early lateral reflections he reduces soundstage width, then advocates speakers at the Wide locations to fix a problem he created.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 90 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM