Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#94394 - 07/29/14 01:29 PM Dolby Atmos?
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I was just reading about the pending home release for Dolby Atmos and was curious if there are any plans by Outlaw to include it in a future firmware update. I'll readily acknowledge this is not a terribly probable scenario for the 975 but I thought the question was worth asking. smile

If not, are y'all considering it for a future pre-pro?

#94395 - 07/29/14 04:15 PM Re: Dolby Atmos? [Re: Owl's_Warder]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Firmware updates are generally limited to fixes or improvements to features already installed on a piece of gear. Since the 975 has no current similar feature I would think it would be difficult to add it now especially since the processing power it will use may be pretty extensive. From what I have read a fully compliant bluray player will decode Atmos and the height channels can be used to provide the overhead signal to speakers.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#94435 - 09/08/14 03:48 PM Re: Dolby Atmos? [Re: Owl's_Warder]
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Originally Posted By: Owl's_Warder
...are y'all considering it for a future pre-pro?
Apparently they are. The Dolby press release from this morning lists Outlaw Audio as one of the "manufacturers who have committed to delivering future Dolby Atmos products".

http://investor.dolby.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=869623

#94442 - 09/09/14 07:14 AM Re: Dolby Atmos? [Re: Owl's_Warder]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
I just read Outlaw's notice of product development and wish them success. I have misgivings about Atmos - mainly that ceiling-fired speaker performance will be highly room dependent, rather than a "drop-in" average person installation. Other planned features of Outlaw's next gen pre/pro will be great to see, though and I'll surely buy in.

#94450 - 09/10/14 10:57 AM Re: Dolby Atmos? [Re: Owl's_Warder]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
There are a lot of speakers being designed to reflect from the ceiling also. Kind of an upfiring driver just for atmos effects. I will probably add 4 ceiling speakers just for the effects when I finish my HT since I already have the amp room. I also would be interested in how room correction will account for the ceiling speakers or the reflections as similar or not.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#94454 - 09/10/14 10:54 PM Re: Dolby Atmos? [Re: XenonMan]
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: XenonMan
I also would be interested in how room correction will account for the ceiling speakers or the reflections as similar or not.
For the ceiling speakers, room correction will work as normal (many people already have surrounds placed high up on the side walls or the ceiling).

For Atmos-enabled upward-firing speakers, there will have to be a high frequency squiggle (two peaks and a notch) inserted into the target curve. This squiggle in the frequency response is part of Dolby Elevation processing and fools our human heariing into perceiving those sounds as coming from above.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=256866&d=1410403980

However, psychoacoustic notches cannot fool a microphone, so room correction systems have to come up with a way to figure out where the virtual speaker is (since it is difficult to measure a virtual image). Audyssey, for example, will be doing this using simple trigonometry, assuming typical listener and ceiling height. So if a height module is roughly at ear level 8 feet away from you, the virtual speaker will be about 11.3 feet away.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=221778&d=1408599474

#94458 - 09/12/14 01:25 PM Re: Dolby Atmos? [Re: sdurani]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Interesting. So I'm getting up there in years and my hearing given out right around the notch in the frequency graph. Does this mean that the up-firing Atmos speakers won't work for me?

#94460 - 09/12/14 06:02 PM Re: Dolby Atmos? [Re: Owl's_Warder]
sdurani Offline
Desperado

If you can localize sounds coming from above you, then the Atmos-enabled upward-firing speakers will be able to trick your hearing.

Sounds coming from above bounce off your shoulders and outer ear (pinna) to create a notch in the frequency response. This notch lets our ear-brain mechanism know the sound is above us.

This notch is built into Atmos-enabled speakers, which is what tricks us into hearing those sounds from above. The fact that they are pointed at the ceiling just re-enforces this illusion all the more.

The notch is also inserted into the target curve of the receiver's room correction, to keep it from undoing the notch (flattening out the response).

#94464 - 09/16/14 08:27 PM Re: Dolby Atmos? [Re: Owl's_Warder]
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Speaking of Atmos, looks like the upcoming height modules from Atlantic Technology were greeted favorably at CEDIA:
Quote:
Unfortunately, I missed Atlantic Technology’s demo at the Expo, but I got to hear the company’s new 44-DA speaker module in a demo conducted by chipmaker Analog Devices. The $449/pair 44-DA fits atop Atlantic’s 4400 LR speakers so closely that you don’t even notice that there’s a separate module sitting on top. Each one has a 5.25" woofer and a 1" tweeter in a concentric array. Maybe it’s because Analog Devices’ demo was in a small, quite hotel room instead of in one of the prefab sound rooms on the show floor, but I thought this system delivered perhaps the most precise imaging of the object-based sound effects, such as the spears whizzing toward you in the opening of Star Trek Into Darkness.
http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.ph...akers-and-demos

#94467 - 09/27/14 04:57 PM Re: Dolby Atmos? [Re: Owl's_Warder]
S. Sharkey Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
Hopefully with the new Atmos equipment Outlaw is working on, they don't get duped as they did with the 978, when it got cancelled before release.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts