Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#88799 - 12/20/11 11:38 AM Outlaw 7125 and EQ
TrasKY Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hey Outlaws,
I just purchased and am slowly breaking in my 7125. Thus far I am only running the left and right channels as my pre/pro has not yet arrived. The first thing I noticed was that the mid-range seems very boosted on this amp, a little out of balance with the bass and treble. Some reviewers have referred to the 7125 as having "rolled off highs" but my ears tell me that it's really boosted mids. Has anyone else noticed this? Do people run EQs or room calibration with this and, if so, what frequencies seem to be in need of boosting or, more likely, tamping down.

Thanks,
STephen

#88800 - 12/20/11 04:02 PM Re: Outlaw 7125 and EQ [Re: TrasKY]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Most of that would probably depend on your room. A good equalizer might help.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#88803 - 12/20/11 10:39 PM Re: Outlaw 7125 and EQ [Re: XenonMan]
TrasKY Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

thanks for the response. I do know that the room will play a big part in it. There is a 10 band parametric EQ as part of the Rotel RSP-1572 I will be receiving shortly so I will have options. I know, of course, that the room is a big part of it. but objectively, and comparing with other amps this one clearly has a boosted mid-range. I was mostly wondering if anyone had sussed out which parts of the mid range were the offenders. I don't need to run an EQ after the amp, do I?

#88845 - 12/28/11 02:47 PM Re: Outlaw 7125 and EQ [Re: TrasKY]
fc911c Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NE Pa.
Hi I just received one also and so far I am pretty dissapointed. The highs really roll off, the rest sounds pretty good. I just sent back an Emotiva XPA-5 which sounded great with my system. There seems to be a hum issue with them and that's a no go for me. The 7125 is dead quiet which is what an amp should be. So far its pretty boring compared to the Emotiva and no wow factor at all. It also seems a little muddy. I cant see it changing that much but I hope I am wrong.
Akai GX-747DBX R2R
Blue Jeans interconnects
Linkwitz Orions 3.3 Speakers
Outlaw 7125 Amps X 2
SennHeiser Hd 580 Head phones

#88846 - 12/28/11 05:37 PM Re: Outlaw 7125 and EQ [Re: fc911c]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

TrasKy and fc911c

Welcome to the Saloon. Here you will find some great people who are enthusiastic about their gear (Both Outlaw and other brands) and are always ready to help new members.

I usually don't comment about customer's subjective observations but in this case I thought I would point out a few things about the 7125.

TrasKy, I am not sure where you read that some reviewers have commented that the 7125 has "rolled off highs" We are not aware of any remark like that in any review. If you have read that somewhere please forward along the review to us. The 7125 have been our strongest selling amplifier (several thousand) and it has been tested as being virtually ruler flat. For example here are the measurements from Ultimate AV magazine:

http://www.hometheater.com/content/outlaw-model-7125-amplifier-measurements

As you can see, from the measured frequency response nothing is emphasized. If you were hearing elevated midrange I would check your speakers, processor, or room set-up

Fc911c

If you are not hearing a "wow factor" we can only say that the 7125 reproduces exactly what it is fed with absolutely no spectral shift. Sometimes amplifiers can sound 'brighter” if there is a minor limit to the power supply and the low end weakens a bit. An amplifier can also be perceived as "crisper" if it is producing a small bit of noise. (An analogy comes from the days before there was digital TV. Sometimes viewers would perceive a picture as having more "detail" if the screen exhibited a slight amount of video noise In the same way minor hiss often adds to the perception of more treble response.)

In any case the 7125 is and always has been a neutral sounding amplifier, which adds or subtracts nothing from the original signal except, of course, power.

That said, if for any reason the 7125 does not measure up to your expectations please don't hesitate to return it since you are both in the 30-day window evaluation window

Best Regards and Happy New Year

Peter

#88851 - 12/28/11 09:25 PM Re: Outlaw 7125 and EQ [Re: PeterT]
fc911c Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NE Pa.
Thanks for info Peter. Perhaps I may have jumped the gun, shortly after running the amp one of the channels has a problem. I thought one of my drivers may have blown but it turns out it was one of the amps channels. I moved it to a previously unused channel and everything sounds much better. I waited a week for it, I hope I won't be with out the amp for weeks. Maybe they could send a replacement modual for the bad channel and avoid all the shipping hassels. I had to do this for my ATI 6012. I will contact them tomorrow.

Frank
Akai GX-747DBX R2R
Blue Jeans interconnects
Linkwitz Orions 3.3 Speakers
Outlaw 7125 Amps X 2
SennHeiser Hd 580 Head phones

#88944 - 01/05/12 01:24 PM Re: Outlaw 7125 and EQ [Re: fc911c]
TrasKY Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Peter,

Thanks for your response. First, the amp entirely lives up to my expectations. Perhaps by saying that the highs were rolled off I was being a bit imprecise. Reviewers have mentioned the high end not being as "airy" or being a touch on the dark side or the cold side of neutral. This is obviously metaphoric language but that's how I took it. In any case, mu assumption was that there was an area of the mid-range that was ever so slightly boosted that was a. bringing those regions out a touch and b. making the highs sound less airy. The home theater review didn't include their usual graph so it was hard to tell where the ups and downs were on the frequency response. My pre/pro has a parametric EQ and I plan to use it. I also plan to calibrate my system but I don't necessarily want to trash the personality of my speakers in the name of some sort of clinical perfection and so I brought this up to see if anyone with more experience than I had a suggestion of helpful piece of information. But I can just use my ears.

As far as satisfaction goes, this amp is just fantastic sounding, even not considering the price. I've compared the 7125 side by side with other amps and I would have to spend a lot of money to out and out beat the sound and dynamics that you guys are delivering with this product.

I hope that clears up my query or at least dispels the notion that I am in anyway dissatisfied. Quite the contrary.

STephen

#88951 - 01/05/12 06:56 PM Re: Outlaw 7125 and EQ [Re: TrasKY]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

TrasKY

Thank you so much for your comments. I am really pleased that you are satisfied with the performance of the 7125. We wish you years of great enjoyment from this amplifier.

Peter

#88982 - 01/07/12 07:33 PM Re: Outlaw 7125 and EQ [Re: PeterT]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I too had a channel go out on my 7125 within the first year. I ran the amp for about a year with an alternate channel filling in for the left. I eventually sent it back to Outlaw and got it back within 10 days. Fortunately I had the 7500 sitting in a box waiting to go into my northern system to use while the 7125 was out.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

Who's Online
0 registered (), 83 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM