Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 21 of 31 < 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 30 31 >
Topic Options
#84231 - 07/05/10 07:07 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: sdurani]
srrndhound Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: sdurani
Which is why I said "I can understand locking you out of features when using the Speaker Re-mapping function, which relies on phantom imaging to re-align the soundstage and could be ruined by futzing with critical parameters such as time alignment, levels, etc. But when using Trinnov just for room correction, you should have access to some controls that allow you to shape the sound to taste."
When you said “shape to taste” I read more into it—like applying some EQ. Trinnov does have a “target curve” capability same as MultEQ. Ignoring that, I suspect that the lockout we see happening in the 972 is not a result of careful thought, but because that's what they happened to do. Maybe it was the easiest solution?

Quote:
How does Onkyo manage to give users tone control on a per-speaker basis without it being part and parcel of Audyssey's unique process? Audyssey isn't recomputing its filter coefficients each time you turn up the bass. There's no reason to lock the user out of those kind of adjustments if you're using Trinnov solely for room correction (no speaker remapping).
Sure, it's easy to design a product with room EQ and separate tone controls. Thus far, no one has bothered to design a product like that with Trinnov. In the case of a Trinnov product, it would have to be done prior to the Trinnov block, but that's not a problem.

Edited by srrndhound (07/05/10 07:32 PM)

#84236 - 07/06/10 08:35 AM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: srrndhound]
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Originally Posted By: srrndhound
When you said “shape to taste” I read more into it—like applying some EQ.
Correct, that is what I meant: EQ or tone controls. My point (in response to what Marc had said about the 972) was that I could see locking out those features when using speaker remapping but not when using only room correction. Again, not so much for movies, where things are standardized, but more for music listening, where there is lots of variation in program material. Sean Olive blogged about the latter: http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/10/audios-circle-of-confusion.html

#84462 - 08/18/10 07:40 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: gonk]
Wrong Hombre Offline
Gunslinger

Anyone mention digital audio on zone 2/3... this is a major gripe of mine on the current/future onkyo models

#84463 - 08/18/10 11:54 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: Wrong Hombre]
Smarty-pants Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

The... thread... is... alive... again...

Nice point Wrong Hombre.:)

#84464 - 08/19/10 05:13 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: Smarty-pants]
Wrong Hombre Offline
Gunslinger

I am unclear as to how it works with zone 2 video/audio in receivers such as the onkyo x007 models, but on my 806 i cannot play anything from hdmi digital coax or toslink in zone 2, and the manuals for the x007s seems to say no digital audio output on zone2/3 in a fashion similar to the manual for the 806. I am building a home theater room with a tv for general purpose viewing and an electric screen for big movies. If the zone 2 can play video but no audio from hdmi, well then buying a prepro like this defeats the whole purpose of a zone 2 hdmi out, right? Am I missing the boat?

#84465 - 08/19/10 06:30 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: Wrong Hombre]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The second zone in most receivers and processors is basically a separate analog audio pre-amp. Doing more requires duplicating at least a DAC and possibly much more - you could handle up to PCM stereo if the second zone had its own DAC, but to go beyond that would require a separate audio processing chip for the second zone (decode DD, DTS, etc. and transcode down to PCM stereo to feed the DAC). Second zone video is often handled similarly (composite output requires composite inputs, component output requires component inputs) for the same reasons. That being said, I can see where supporting digital audio into a second zone could be pretty handy for some users. It could be done - it's just a matter of cost.

I don't know that I've seen any products that offer HDMI into a second zone yet. Multiple HDMI outputs typically feed two separate displays in the main zone (flat panel for normal use and front projector for movies, for example), while the audio goes to the same place either way. For your application (TV for general purpose viewing and projector with motorized screen for big movies), that's exactly what you'd need. Audio would go to the pre-amp outputs no matter which display you're using, and you would just toggle between the two HDMI monitor outputs.

#84466 - 08/19/10 07:23 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: gonk]
Wrong Hombre Offline
Gunslinger

So iirc the 998 is planned for 2 hdmi outs as layed out by gonk. I still reckon that zone 2/3 digital would help me at least, as I use my macbook to play music from itunes or pandora when I throw parties, and toslink would be preferable, just to cut down on cord clutter (and maybe a marginal benefit to audio quality), but analog outs from the macbook work as well anyway. It seems, however, with the increasing popularity of hdmi ( even considering the likewise decline of toslink and digital coax) that digital zone 2/3 would be a good feature suggestion nonetheless. So consider a feature suggested.

#84467 - 08/19/10 10:40 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: Wrong Hombre]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Yes, the two HDMI outputs should cover you for the projector and TV.

It's worth considering digital audio for second zone - but I wouldn't assume it would support HDMI. If we see folks start offering digital audio support for a second zone, it's more likely to be coaxial/optical only and probably just PCM stereo (no Dolby Digital or DTS). Grabbing HDMI audio for the second zone would require including a second digital audio processor and second HDMI transceiver under the hood, with a substantial extra cost and complexity. There may be a simple solution, but I wouldn't count on it.

#84469 - 08/20/10 08:56 AM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: gonk]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I feed one of my iPod docks to the CD input analog channel and then out the Zone 2 output to the spare channels on my 7125 and then out to the back of my house for music at the pool. While it certainly isn't audiophile grade, it sounds great out at the pool.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#84481 - 08/21/10 12:16 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: XenonMan]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
The Denon i have in my livingroom has zone 2 digital audio that I feed my outdoor speakers with via an Adcom amp. Its really nice to stream my music outside while I work, and mean while my kid watches something else on TV via the same unit. The Denon is proving to be a solid machine while my 970 is looking at its third trip to Outlaw in the first yr of owning it. frown

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

Some Of My Live Recordings: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/J.Mimna

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

Page 21 of 31 < 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 30 31 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts