Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#31899 - 04/09/08 05:02 PM Re: RR2150 vs NAD C720BEE Help!!
William Kasimer Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Sharon, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by Washburn:
...any thoughts on the MH? anyone heard/own this thing?
Actually, this was what I used after I decided that the RR2150 wasn't for me. It's a nice piece of equipment for the price (and you can easily find one used for $300 or so), but I found the sound a little thin and bass-deficient with my Dali Ikon 6's. I thought that the RR2150 produced a fuller and better balanced sound, but the MH was a little clearer. It might be a matter of power; for a while I used the pre-amp section of the MH with the amp section of the RR2150, which improved things a bit. Then when I thought about how much $$$ I had tied up in this arrangement, I figured that I should just upgrade to a better integrated and sell off the RR2150 and the MH - and that's what I did.

#31900 - 04/09/08 05:10 PM Re: RR2150 vs NAD C720BEE Help!!
Washburn Offline
Gunslinger

thanks for the feedback, Bill.
do you think a sub (I have an x-sub) might have improved the SQ of the MH? did you ever try the MH with one?

and what amp did you end up with after you sold the Outlaw and the MH?

(I have the same speakers that Gonk here uses with his Outlaw 2150...they're kind of laid back, and my be too soft for the MH, wich itself sounds kinda soft from what people say...but I like laid-back sound, so I'm gonna give it a try anyway, and the audition is risk-free, so why not, huh? smile )

#31901 - 04/10/08 03:36 AM Re: RR2150 vs NAD C720BEE Help!!
William Kasimer Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Sharon, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by Washburn:
thanks for the feedback, Bill.
do you think a sub (I have an x-sub) might have improved the SQ of the MH? did you ever try the MH with one?
No; this is an office system, and space is a bit limited. Bass is usually not a huge issue for me, but I think that's what made the MH sound a bit anemic - I couldn't really put my finger on the problem until I hooked the Dalis up to something better.

As for my current electronics, I was saving up for the Simaudio I-3 or I-5, when a PW-5000 hit A'gon. It's about ten years old, but it's supposed to be virtually the same as its successor, the I-5, but sells for about half the price because of age. It sounds fabulous

#31902 - 04/17/08 04:15 PM Re: RR2150 vs NAD C720BEE Help!!
Washburn Offline
Gunslinger

gotta wake this thread up again smile

hooked the Music Hall up:

first thing: I've NEVER lifted anything that looks this dainty and innocent looking and felt so much weight!! it's HEAVY for its size, and built like a tank:...love the feel of the very heavy and smooth vol knob (in contrast, this reminded me of the sloppy, plasticky vol knob of the Cambridge 640a amp that i auditioned a few wks ago...see earlier in this thread)

However, I'm not going to say anything about the SQ right now wink
just wanna see if there's any break-in factor etc,
but Mostly due to the following limitations I have right now:

1) I don't have the modded super pro DAC I usually use(sent it to a DAC shoot out at av123).
so I'm listening with the Onki dvd/cd changer direct. (the DAC makes a big difference in imo)
2) i'm using only 1 channel of the pre outs only to the R of the sub. (don't have 2 coax cables long enough for both channels). I know that running cables into both L and R of the xsub did make a difference even with the single sub out of the onki.
3) power cord is horrible..i mean horrible feeling (the power cord of the x-sub is better!). have to change that anyway, if it makes SQ improve or not...(although this amp has a reputation of being very finicky about power cords affecting its SQ, even according to Roy Hall himself, who openly commented about the power cords shipped with early batches especially being sub-par; it may have changed now, but it remains a sensitive amp to different power cords, according to all the internet research I did)

However, ASA I get the DAC back, or at least another coax cable for both pre outs to be connected to both L / R of the x-sub, I will do some crictical listening and post again.

I will only say 3 things for now:

1) listening to 13th step, I heard some muttered background vocals from Maynard I've never heard before (these lyrics are normally in parentheses when you look up the lyrics, and I've always wondered why I never really notice them...well now I know! reminder: this is without the DAC !)
i'm holding myself back from saying more now...I really want to listen with the DAC and both L [i]and R pre outs going to x-sub.[/i]

2)It's strange having no tone controls, but don't feel the need...at all. btw, it's 50 wpc, and out of a range of 00-80 on the digital vol control, i can't go past 30...at 30, it's already at my normal max listening level eek drives the x-ls classics super easy.

3) it looks gorgeous, simple, but elegant...very high-end and classy (I know that my other contender Outlaw has already lost in the war of looks...)
so until my next post, here are some quick photos (NOTE: the display is crisp, and only the letters/numbers can be seen; not the blue glow around the latters/wash-out that you see in these pics: camera did that)

will post a more detailed update when i get my DAC back. and then after that I will try the Outlaw and see how it stacks up against the MH..

[I][U]an annoyance: the remote of the Music Hall operates my CRT Toshiba TV eek with no rhyme or reason to the buttons. and of course the Toshiba remote also operates the music hall...

#31903 - 04/18/08 05:13 AM Re: RR2150 vs NAD C720BEE Help!!
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Wait a minute, you are all concerned about the UI of the RR2150 and "QC Issues", but you pass over the fact that the Music Hall wasn't designed to use a unique remote code as an annoyance? It would seem to me that this is much more a QC issue than any play in the source selector knob.

I have the feeling that like many of us you make a commitment to whatever you own and overlook its faults to justify your purchase.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#31904 - 04/18/08 10:35 AM Re: RR2150 vs NAD C720BEE Help!!
garthr Offline
Gunslinger

I'd take a quirky source knob over an amp that you say comes with a "horrible" power cord . What is horrible about it ?

If the stock power cord is not good enough to use, I would question the wisdom of even selling such a unit. I don't buy the power cord making an amp better bit anyways .

I had considered this unit once, but the minimalist design was a turn off to me. The lack of tone controls was a big one, because while I understand their reasoning for this, in the real world ...... music is not recorded all the same way. Tone controls done right do nothing but add to an amp, in my opinion.

Happy testing smile

#31905 - 04/18/08 11:57 AM Re: RR2150 vs NAD C720BEE Help!!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It's a handsome little unit - like the 2150, it seems like one that can photograph well. (I've gotten some really nice shots of the 2150 in our dining room with some natural light from the south-facing window.)

We kicked around the remote code issues a bit over at AV123 (I've heard of it happening before), and if your ears do pick that one rather than the 2150 I hope that one of the options discussed will take care of matters for you without too much cost.

#31906 - 04/18/08 02:48 PM Re: RR2150 vs NAD C720BEE Help!!
Washburn Offline
Gunslinger

thanks guys. i AM annoyed about the remote issue don't get me wrong, but with the new TV it will go away.

VERY BAD NEWS FOR ME NOW:
No B-stock Outlaw available: I really can't afford the new price, even for testing! I was really hoping to get one B stock, $649 is way over budget and I can get the MH a lot cheaper, but I'm gonna send the MH back anyway...(I can get it later for a lot cheaper somewhere)

IF ANYONE HAS ANY LEADS ABOUT WHEN B-STOCK WILL BE AVAILABLE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I WILL BE VERY THANKFUL.
THANKS.
I WILL ALSO BE INTERESTED IN ANY UNITS MEMBERS HERE ARE SELLING, IN THAT CASE PLS LET ME KNOW, TOO.

#31907 - 04/18/08 03:14 PM Re: RR2150 vs NAD C720BEE Help!!
Washburn Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by garthr:
[QB] I'd take a quirky source knob over an amp that you say comes with a "horrible" power cord . What is horrible about it ?

If the stock power cord is not good enough to use, I would question the wisdom of even selling such a unit.
it's just badly put togther, feels flimsy, BUT it is detachable and i can just replace it in a sec. with a better one, so no need to get rid of the unit. smile

#31908 - 04/18/08 04:02 PM Re: RR2150 vs NAD C720BEE Help!!
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
VERY BAD NEWS FOR ME NOW:
No B-stock Outlaw available.
Yeah, there were a few around for a while, which to be completely honest I didn't quite understand. Are B-stocks all returns, or are there other reasons for them? Just curious…

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 93 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts