Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#31755 - 01/27/08 08:04 PM Re: Want to upgrade speakers
Sweet Spot Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY, NY
Thanks Psy... I really thought that they did though for some reason. Don't worry about me though. I really think that the MG 12's will eventually work their way into one of the systems I'll have down the road, since I was really wow'd by their clarity and presentation. Acoustic guitar, vocals, brass, woodwinds etc.. are so sublime when coming out of them, so I can certainly see having a dedicated room for such a reason.

For now, I'm going to experiment with different placement of my Energy Speakers and such, and then perhaps save a bit for some tower speakers.

These look very interesting for $1500

I'd love to keep the price around $1000-$1300, but if I hear something phenomenal which deserves to have a bit more money put into it, I'll always consider such a thing. Then again, I'd also love to get a new Cartridge, such as the Dynavector 10x5, or similar.

We shall see. I also have to seriously consider that I'm now looking for another job. Gave my place 2 weeks, and tomorrow is my last day. (way too much stress at that hospital)

I'll check back for any suggestions and updates.

Doug

#31756 - 01/28/08 02:16 AM Re: Want to upgrade speakers
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
They sure do look interesting - and I see they're less than $2500 with a subwoofer. From the reviews at the Salk site I wonder if with these babies the electronics might become the limiting factor! If you get them please let us know how they sound.

#31757 - 01/28/08 02:20 AM Re: Want to upgrade speakers
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
One point of caution: The frequency response chart that's linked to the speaker page actually cuts off at about 200 Hz, so you have to take the 40-Hz bass limit on faith. It would have been nice to see the bass performance.

#31758 - 01/28/08 11:39 AM Re: Want to upgrade speakers
garthr Offline
Gunslinger

Ditto on the caution . Those 5" drivers just won't cut it . These will lack deep bass, and adding a sub to floor standing speakers just seems like a waste of space to me ...... but that's me smile

And again, since you like to move around while listening , these are typical "ray gun" speakers . They'd likely leave you wanting for more dispersion.

About the Ohm's ..... the one's that use use the reconditioned cabinets with new drivers/hardware are ___not listed___ on their web site. You have to fill out the "speaker selector" portion, then they'll email with speaker options. The unlisted speakers are usually much less than the retail for the all new ones. They may or may not fit into your price range, the only way to know is ask because they are __not listed__ .

#31759 - 02/03/08 06:47 PM Re: Want to upgrade speakers
rru2s Offline
Gunslinger

I'm thinking of a pair of bedroom speakers, the Polk Audio Monitor 60s, with 3 drivers of 5.25 inches and a tweeter. But I'm waiting for the price to be right.

They will need a sub, but that will be a convenient excuse to move the 130 watt velodyne sub out of my living room and into the bedroom so I can order a 15 inch sub for the living room.

P.S.-- What happened to my game day post? LOL

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Who's Online
0 registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts