Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#23455 - 11/29/04 01:59 PM Speaker wire, wall plates, O what fun it is
Grizzly Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Elmira, New York
LOL, you would think something like speaker wire would be simple choice to make. I'm finding this to be the hardest.......

So what to get? I've read any of my threads in the 7100 amp section you would now that i've been remodling a room, so time to get the wiring out of sight. So what wiring do you recommand. I'm looking for the best bang for the buck.

Crutchfiled has monster cable Monster CRS142RCL-300, 300 ft. 14 ga. 2 conductor UL Speaker Cable
THX-certified • CL3/FT4 rated for in-wall installations • high-purity copper conductor with twisted-pair construction • EZ-Strip rip cord for quick jacket removal • sequential footage markers printed on jacket • special low-friction jacket; easy to pull through walls

for .55 per foot

Is this wire any good?

I've read some of the other post in this forum.

How do blue jean cables Belden 5000UE (Gray jacket, 12 AWG) 0.39/ft or Cobalt at 1.09 a foot.

What other brands?

the room is 12 feet wide, so the max distance would be 20 feet for the rears if the amp is stored next to the tv location and from ear height all the way up the wall to the ceiling , over 12 feet to the ceiling and the down the back wall 4 feet to listing height

What about wall plates. any brand do a better job? Crutchfield has niles! any good? actual suitable?

What way is better actual pros and cons of bare wire to the connectors or banana plugs?

12 guage or 14 guage?

I've got a headache from this, man what a pain in the Beep!!!!

#23456 - 11/30/04 01:21 AM Re: Speaker wire, wall plates, O what fun it is
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
id go with thicker guage wire. if you are going to use wall plates, id solder the speaker wire to the plate. solder is not perhaps the ideal connection, but it will be the least problematic. then from the wall plates to the spakers, bananas would be nice. bare wire is fine, but it tends to become loose over time and will oxidize as well...

if you are going to put high dollar speaker wire into a cheap wall plate then that is silly.

i guess it all depends on what you want to have coursing through your walls, be it monster or "lamp cord", all of it will transmit the signal... however i would stick with in wall rated cable that is a low guage and is a good price... for your use, i would probably go with the cheapest lowest guage i could get from the likes of belden or canare... particularly if you are running the wire through a conduit, the amount of insulation/jacketing will not be very important, but if you are running the wire without conduit, the wire should be well insulated/protected from interference...

its really not the biggest deal, dont worry about it so much. the idea of home theather is to enjoy it, im sure most any wire that you would pick will allow you to do that.

#23457 - 11/30/04 02:53 AM Re: Speaker wire, wall plates, O what fun it is
Sound Killer Offline
Gunslinger

Speaker gauge has to do with the length of run. Heavy gauge cable for short distance is unnecessarily and expensive. For your small 20 feet room, 16-gauge wire is sufficient. There is no pro and con between bare wire and binding post plug. The only difference is ease of connection. Don’t waste your money on brand name cables. Most of them are liars.

#23458 - 11/30/04 03:35 AM Re: Speaker wire, wall plates, O what fun it is
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
For your set-up make sure you use speaker cable rated for in-wall use. This will be necessary to pass the building code in most locations. Your other option is to run the speaker wire in conduit.

I also disagree that 16 gauge wire is all that is necessary for your application. I would suggest at least 14 gauge wire since some of your runs will be in excess of 20 feet when you include all the bends plus you want to leave some slack.

Lastly, I do agree that designer brands are not necessary. You should check out some other vendors such as Parts Express or Audio Advisor . Audio advisor does tend to be a little pricey but you can get some good deals in their clearance section. I picked up some in-wall rated 14/4 speaker cable from them for a really good price.

I use Leviton Quick-Port Wall Plates. They are very flexible in their design. You can buy the plates and various connectors at Home Depot or online at numerous vendors.

#23459 - 11/30/04 08:13 AM Re: Speaker wire, wall plates, O what fun it is
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I would prefer to at least use 14ga for any home theater wiring, and for a run of 20 feet (which will probably require closer to 25 feet when you factor in turns, offsets, and a little slack at the ends to facilitate making connections) I'd start to consider 12ga. When I did my surround speaker wiring back in January, I used an assortment of Radio Shack plates ( four speaker , two speaker , and one speaker variations) that were particularly useful for installing in existing paneling and sheetrock. Since you'll be working from scratch, I'd put a single gang junction box in at each speaker location and a single gang (or double gang if you'll have wiring for four surrounds) j-box behind the equipment rack. With a true j-box to work with, something like the Leviton Quick-Ports could also work well.

I've used Blue Jeans Cables' interconnects a bit lately and been pretty satisfied with their products - of the two listed, I'd go with the Belden 5000UE at $0.39/foot, but I'd also ask them if the stuff is in-wall rated as I didn't see any mention about that on their info page. Definitely check Parts Express before you order, though, as they may also have some good prices on similar wire.

#23460 - 11/30/04 09:58 AM Re: Speaker wire, wall plates, O what fun it is
Lee44 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, Oregon USA
Good article about speaker wire:

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Lee

#23461 - 11/30/04 10:58 AM Re: Speaker wire, wall plates, O what fun it is
Grizzly Offline
Gunslinger

Thank you all for all the help,

My thoughts are the colbalt wires, I've sent a email about the blue jean cables .39 a foot, to see if they are in wall rated.

Any one have any suggestion on wire for the cable tv

#23462 - 11/30/04 11:49 AM Re: Speaker wire, wall plates, O what fun it is
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
For cable TV, I'd first check to see if your local cable provider will do the wiring for you for free or fairly cheaply (I think I paid $75 or so for an interior-run cable outlet when we renovated the kitchen), since that will get it connected properly at the service box. If you do elect to do it yourself, pretty much any RG-6 cable should do - I certainly wouldn't invest anything extra in the wire for that.

#23463 - 11/30/04 01:56 PM Re: Speaker wire, wall plates, O what fun it is
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
i just had to get some extra speaker cable for my surrounds, my b&w dealer sold me tributaries 14/2 in wall for .35 a foot,i'm not dealing with high power or a long run.i suppose you could shop around and pick up bulk a bit cheaper.it does seem like good wire,pretty flexible,with fairly fine copper strands.

btw
i'm not any kind of wire expert,but if it works...

#23464 - 11/30/04 03:40 PM Re: Speaker wire, wall plates, O what fun it is
Grizzly Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:

I've used Blue Jeans Cables' interconnects a bit lately and been pretty satisfied with their products - of the two listed, I'd go with the Belden 5000UE at $0.39/foot, but I'd also ask them if the stuff is in-wall rated as I didn't see any mention about that on their info page. Definitely check Parts Express before you order, though, as they may also have some good prices on similar wire.
Yes; 5000UE's NEC rating is CL3R, and it's also UL listed.

Thanks,

Kurt
BJC
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 5:34 AM
To: sales@bluejeanscable.com
Subject: Belden 5000UE

Are the Belden 5000UE wire rated for in-wall installation?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts