Losing right channel during analog phono play

Posted by: rrvillan

Losing right channel during analog phono play - 08/02/14 07:54 PM

Wondering if anyone has experienced this. I have Pro-Ject turntable hooked into the analog input and after a hour or so of loud play the right channel stops. I think something is getting to hot because if I let it cool for a few moments it starts working again. Even if I switch inputs to radio or disk still the right channel is out.

I have the 975 hooked into the 7175, and I'm not sure if the issue is the pre or amp. Any ideas?
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Losing right channel during analog phono play - 08/03/14 10:45 AM

Does the turntable have a built in phono pre-amp and is it in the stream? If not you will need to get one in the stream. Phono output from a turntable is a very small signal. If no preamp is in stream then the 975 is doing overload trying to get the signal up to snuff.
Posted by: rrvillan

Re: Losing right channel during analog phono play - 08/03/14 02:15 PM

The turntable has a built in pre-amp, no issue there. However, I just experienced the same problem when streaming music, but this time the left channel went out. I'm beginning to think it's a heat issue, because when I turn everything off for like 5 min or so it's all working again. So far I have only experienced this while listening to high volume in stereo mode, not when watching a movie. But of coarse I don't listen to movies as loud as music either.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Losing right channel during analog phono play - 08/03/14 04:07 PM

Make sure the amp has plenty of breathing room. I use a small electronics fan to keep my gear cool in a cabinet. Also check your connection to your speakers to make sure no stray strands are touching the case or the other channel.
Posted by: Outlaw Ben

Re: Losing right channel during analog phono play - 08/04/14 12:00 PM

Sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. Please give us a call, M-F 9:00am - 5:00pm EST, at (866) OUTLAWS. We will be able to discuss heat with you, proper ventilation, and help troubleshoot your issue.