HDBaseT the new standard?

Posted by: rectilineariii

HDBaseT the new standard? - 07/01/10 11:16 AM

It looks like HDMI is being replaced. The delays of the 997/998 might actually have been a very good thing. Timing is everything.

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/06/29/hdbaset-1-0-finalized-lg-samsung-and-sony-ally-behind-one-do-eve/
Posted by: gonk

Re: HDBaseT the new standard? - 07/01/10 12:13 PM

The Model 998 will still use HDMI - by now, it should be far enough along that it can't be delayed and re-worked for a newly-finalized spec. I kind of like the concept - an existing connector, a widely-used cable type, a locking connector (as long as the little tab doesn't break off), and much less restriction on cable length. It could be exactly what custom installers need.
Posted by: rectilineariii

Re: HDBaseT the new standard? - 07/01/10 12:29 PM

It'll be interesting to see how the industry reacts to this. I believe in skating to where the puck is going, and not to where it has been.
Posted by: DavieJ

Re: HDBaseT the new standard? - 07/01/10 01:51 PM

I'm loving this! Think about having the ability to make your own cables to your own specific lengths!! Now I know some people are going to say "I still want mine made by a pro", however, I for one will love making my own with high quality connectors and cables at a fraction of the cost of an expensive HDMI or Toslink cable!!

Re: HDBaseT the new standard? - 07/01/10 03:18 PM

Terminating Cat5e and Cat6 is pretty easy with the right tool (I've done it quite a few times) and the results are reliable. I do prefer connectors with some protection (cap or side guards) for the locking clip, and at least with the crimping tool we have at work that's harder to obtain.
Posted by: Steve0616

Re: HDBaseT the new standard? - 07/01/10 04:09 PM

Intel is designing a 10Gb/s optical cable it hopes will replace everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDHHM-NsGOo
Posted by: fm

Re: HDBaseT the new standard? - 07/02/10 01:12 PM

I wish the companies would stop playing around and just go Displayport already, at least in comparison to HDMI. Displayport is FREE and the VESA standard and has been out for a few years in the computer industry and supports 21.6 Gbps in addition can support auxiliary channels for things like USB and Ethernet. Aside from the fact it is a packet architecture so it can drive multiple displays/devices by one cable (using "hub") unlike HDMI.

After looking at their info, HDBaseT looks good, but these continue to throw another wrench into the hardware side of the products. Although the fact seems to show that HDMI is not what (industry) would like to use if they could help it, because it has many limitations. Anyway, glad I wired up CAT6 at home.

Here are some links

HDBaseT homepage:
http://hdbaset.org/

The Chinese open standard they want to drive (my understanding is this is based on CAT6):
http://www.diva-interface.org/index.html

Displayport VESA site:
http://www.displayport.org/

Looking back again, I remember reading about this Valens technology, this press release was before any big name companies apparently had signed up with it.

http://www.japan21.co.jp/valens/pdf/Vale...rsion%20_3_.pdf
Posted by: Durask

Re: HDBaseT the new standard? - 07/02/10 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: DavieJ
I for one will love making my own with high quality connectors and cables at a fraction of the cost of an expensive HDMI or Toslink cable!!

Well, HDMI and Toslink cables are a few bucks on Monoprice so price is not really an issue, but I agree that using one cable for everything will be great.
Posted by: AvFan

Re: HDBaseT the new standard? - 07/03/10 12:11 PM

I certainly like the idea of using Cat5e/6 for audio/video. Due to an upstairs water leak four months ago I had to open up the wall with all my HT wiring so I ran two Cat 6 wires from the wall behind my HT gear to my wall mounted TV. I thought I was pretty smart to future proof my next TV purchase. Little did I know the future was right on top of me!

So what tools are folks using to terminate the Cat 5e/6 cables? I tried it but couldn't get all those small wires in the right slots in the jack. There has to be a better/faster way.
Posted by: Jimna

Re: HDBaseT the new standard? - 07/03/10 01:51 PM

cat 5/6 termination is an art form much like macrame. Ive never seen an easy way to do it, just an inform method.
Posted by: Ritz2

Re: HDBaseT the new standard? - 07/03/10 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimna
cat 5/6 termination is an art form much like macrame. Ive never seen an easy way to do it, just an inform method.

As Gonk mentioned, with any decent crimping tool, it's trivial to make cheap/reliable etherhose. Can't wait for the Monster version that will claim to use pixie dust to make the zeros rounder and the ones straighter for $100 per meter (and a cost of about 20 cents/foot to manufacture).

Best,
Posted by: AvFan

Re: HDBaseT the new standard? - 07/03/10 04:05 PM

It wasn't the crimping that was the problem, it was threading the eight wires into the correct slots. The wires seemed to have a mind of their own when I slid them into the end of the connector with wrong wires in slots and two wires trying to share a slot. Maybe there are other connectors that open up to allow for easier insertion of the wires into their correct slots. When I had walls open I also ran four Cat 6 from my computer desk to my HT wall so those have to be terminated too but with female jacks. Does anyone have a recommended tutorial that describes the process as I'm clearly missing something. Thanks!
Posted by: Jimna

Re: HDBaseT the new standard? - 07/03/10 04:17 PM

I was a cable data and VOIP tech for the last 4 yrs, I have made hundreds of these cables. Its is a pain in the a$$ until you get the technique of how to hold your color groups in one hand between your thumb and finger in order, and then slide it right into a connector. It took me a few until it became easy, but by the hundredth or so they are second nature, you will do it while talking on a cellphone!
Posted by: Ritz2

Re: HDBaseT the new standard? - 07/04/10 08:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Jimna
I was a cable data and VOIP tech for the last 4 yrs, I have made hundreds of these cables. Its is a pain in the a$$ until you get the technique of how to hold your color groups in one hand between your thumb and finger in order, and then slide it right into a connector. It took me a few until it became easy, but by the hundredth or so they are second nature, you will do it while talking on a cellphone!

It does take a few times to get your technique down, but it really isn't that hard. The "gotcha" is that some folks don't make sure the strands are all the way inside the connector before crimping....or folks that use connectors meant for stranded cable with solid core wire, etc.

The good news is that the cable is CHEAP and you can buy bags of 50 connectors for about $10.

Best,
Posted by: Smarty-pants

Re: HDBaseT the new standard? - 07/04/10 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: gonk
Terminating Cat5e and Cat6 is pretty easy with the right tool (I've done it quite a few times) and the results are reliable. I do prefer connectors with some protection (cap or side guards) for the locking clip, and at least with the crimping tool we have at work that's harder to obtain.

I took on the task of running some CAT5e cables in my home about a year ago.
On one hand, it is fairly easy to do, but you do have to have the right tool.
Some of the really cheap crimpers are not very good.
I thought I could just buy the cheapest one I could find, and it would be fine for a 1-day job, and maybe use it far a few cables in the future.
It was very hard to work with, but I ended up just buying a better one, and it was much better.
Still at the same, you have to figure how much does a decent tool, plus all the connectors and a box of wire all cost.
Most people will be better off just buying premade cables since they are very cheap.
I got into the DIY because my brother-in-law works for a telecommunications company and gave me the wire and connectors for free.

Re: HDBaseT the new standard? - 07/04/10 10:19 PM

The plus I can see for a system like this is for long runs. You can punch down onto wall jacks without special tools (the ones I've used came with a cheap but functional plastic punch-down tool) and use short pre-made cables - great solution for feeding front projectors.
Posted by: charlie

Re: HDBaseT the new standard? - 07/09/10 02:17 PM

Just comb out the wires into a flat plane and in the right order, cut them evenly and to the right length, slide on the connector and crimp. It's super easy.
Posted by: Retep

Re: HDBaseT the new standard? - 07/09/10 09:25 PM

I think it's good to buy crimpers with built in testers or have a tester. I've seen too many ethernet cables get setup and installed and then they figure out it's no good. Never pinch the cables and you can't pull it through rough like you might with electrical wires. Ethernet cables require a delicate touch.