What cal. levels are you getting?

Posted by: westlee

What cal. levels are you getting? - 06/10/05 02:33 PM

Howdy folks! Say, what cal. reference levels can you get with you 990...I'd imagine 75db wouldn't/shouldn't be too hard...I understand it has a 9 volt max pre-out...Does it crank even harder than the 950??
Posted by: gonk

Re: What cal. levels are you getting? - 06/10/05 05:33 PM

Perhaps it's been a longer week than I'd realized, but I'm not sure I follow your question. Since the 990 and 950 are both pre-amps relying on amps to do the "heavy lifting," the output is not really any different, especially if you calibrate to the same level.
Posted by: westlee

Re: What cal. levels are you getting? - 06/12/05 12:34 AM

Let me clarify my question... Right now, I'm using a Denon 2803 pre-out to outboard any number of amps I use to play with and tweak...At 0db input level I get near 70db regardless of any combo of amps or speakers...My brother runs a custom a/v installation business in Ventura and I get to play with all kinds of fantastic gear I'll never be able to afford..I've been able to demo everything from Bel Canto to Parasound/Nad/Integra/Aragon and with those in play I ddin't have any trouble hitting 80 to 85 db range at their 0db input level..and with some gear, I have to trim back the individual levels a bit...I think I read on one of the threads here that someone had to pull back the channel ponies because they were measuring a bit more than they did with their 950 at ref level....but I could have been mistaken..
However, I cal. my system to around 70 db for now, and wouldn't bump it up any more than 75 when I, hopefully, get to bring this beauty home.. Thanks, Gonk for the reply..
Posted by: pills

Re: What cal. levels are you getting? - 06/12/05 10:16 PM

I have to boost the channel levels to + 2 or 3 to acheive 85 db on the 990 using the avia disc.On the other hand with the 950 most channel levels were at - 3 to 4 to get the same spl.Not sure why this is so.