potential owner

Posted by: scm0300

potential owner - 11/12/14 01:55 PM

Hey outlaws,
I am in the market and have been interested in the rr2150. I have the bic america DVD84 floor speakers. And was wondering if this would be a good match with the outlaw? I am asking this because I'm not sure if the receiver is more designed towards bookshelf speakers as opposed to towers. I also am looking at the mono 200 watt amp sold by outlaw. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Posted by: EEman

Re: potential owner - 11/13/14 12:32 PM

The RR2150 will drive towers or bookshelves equally well. It does have the subwoofer output should you choose to use it, but it does not depend on it.

You could always take advantage of the 30-day trial and just be out shipping should you choose to return it.

Re: potential owner - 11/13/14 08:02 PM

Thank you for the reply,
I re-read the steophile review today. and the measurements they took looks like the 100watt measurement was conservative. I get wrapped up in reviews when people talk about soundstage. I don't know if I've ever heard or experienced this in my music. as I am new to this audio thing. I am hoping to achieve this elusive soundstage with the rr2150. anyone able to comment on the sound from the outlaw.
thank you again,
Shawn
Posted by: EEman

Re: potential owner - 11/14/14 02:15 PM

Soundstage is when you close your eyes and say the guy playing guitar is there, the drums are a little to his left and the bass player is even more left than the drums. You no longer hear your individual speakers but just sound as if the band is in the room with you.

There's lot's out there on speaker placement for stereo. Here's one from my current favorite speaker provider:
Stereo Speaker Placement

You'll know when you get it right.

Re: potential owner - 11/18/14 01:35 PM

I just placed my order yesterday. I will keep you guys posted when it arrives.

Re: potential owner - 11/21/14 07:02 PM

OK so I got everything hooked up. First I would like to say this is a beautifully made piece, it looks amazing in person. Some people may not like the style of it but I think it's really cool.
The sound is amazing I haven't had much listening time on it because of work and life but plan to this weekend. I am a little confused on how to set up the speaker EQ or if I should even be using the feature. Current speakers are:
Bic America DV84:
Design: Two-way tower with dual woofers and dual passive radiators
Frequency Response: 27 Hz - 22kHz (+/- 3dB)
Sensitivity: 90 db @ 1 Watt, 1 meter
Drivers: Two 8" polymer low bass woofers, two 8" passive radiators, & one 3/4" soft dome tweeter
Magnetic Shielding: YES
Gold-Plated Terminals:YES
Recommended Power: 10-250 watts per channel
Impedance: 8 Ohms

These are the specs from bic America website, according to outlaw manual I should set the speaker EQ setting to 55 based on my speaker frequency, however I do not hear much difference. I still wind up turning the bass up as well. the manual states not to turn the bass all the ay up while the speaker EQ settings are engaged. So should I not even bother and just use the tone controls for bass.
I like to have a lot of bass in my music, I feel my next purchase will be a sub to go along with the speakers.
any help on properly setting up my system would be appreciated.
thank you
Posted by: Helson

Re: potential owner - 11/22/14 09:32 AM

I found the best way, for me, was to play something at a low volume
and try each setting. The setting that produces the best bass response should be the correct one.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: potential owner - 11/22/14 12:23 PM

The speaker EQ function basically adds a 6 db bass boost below whatever setting you have selected to compensate for your speakers rolloff. Your speakers rolloff at 27 hz which is pretty low. Adding the boost at 55 hz should provide some effect. I would do as Helson above suggests and listen without the EQ engaged at a decent volume and get the boost via the bass control. Try moving your speakers around the room to enhance the boundary effect if you desire more bass. Depending on how much of a bassaholic you are, even a small sub will greatly improve you satisfaction with your system for both music and movies. One of the great benefits is that the sub allows much more headroom to be available on your mains so your can play them louder without drawing as much power from the amps.
Posted by: PeterT

Re: potential owner - 11/22/14 12:47 PM

I would try the 65 Hz setting. That frequency affects music above and below and is close to where most listeners perceive "weight" or "bass". I know that sounds counter-intuitive but I would give it a shot.

Re: potential owner - 11/22/14 08:28 PM

Thanks guys for the suggestions.
Up until this point have only been listening through an old turntable, and when I switched sources over to stream music the sound coming through was much more dynamic and sounded fuller. I believe the problem was the turntable. So a new TT will be on my short list now. The RR2150 sounds unbelievable I have found the right amount of bass with the EQ set at 65 hz. I really feel this is an incredible receiver I hope to enjoy it for along time.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: potential owner - 11/25/14 04:45 PM

I have a old turntable. Check yours to make sure the stylus isn't damaged or just dirty. Mine sounded horrible when I took it out of the box after being stored for 20 years or so. Cleaned it up and aligned it properly and it made a huge difference. Check out needledoctor.com for lots of good advice and tips.