rg-6 cable

Posted by: BrettCottel

rg-6 cable - 02/19/04 10:02 PM

after reading lots of threads regarding cable...looks like the rg-6 quad I pulled for my component video cables are not really up to par? (Run of about 30 feet.)Is rg-59 really that different of a beast and should I rerun new cables to the tv? also, should I use rg-6 cable or rg-59 to make digital patch cables for the run between my new 950 & 7100 amp? I have some peices of rg-6 quad but really don't want a weak link if you know what I mean. Also just got a LFt-1 subwoofer & thinking the same questions about that cable as well. thanks for any help in advance....Brett

------------------
;-)
Posted by: soundhound

Re: rg-6 cable - 02/19/04 10:27 PM

If you are referring to RG-6 coax, then it actually has a wider bandwidth and less loss than RG-59, and as such is very good for all video uses, even satellite dish downlead.

RG-59 is great for use as audio interconnects, S/PDIF digital audio interconnects, and standard def component video use.

Re: rg-6 cable - 02/20/04 02:49 PM

hey thanks soundhound...talking with Steve at outlaw he had confirmed what you just said as well. So really then my rg-6 quad sheild was a good choice as long as I terminate them well. Canare has rca terminations that don't require soldering. good idea for a novice solderer?
Thanks for the help....

------------------
;-)
Posted by: soundhound

Re: rg-6 cable - 02/20/04 05:08 PM

The Canare are excellent, but you need to purchase the crimping tool made by Canare specifically for thieir plugs. If you buy some generic crimp tool, you will not end up with a good termination. Don't cheap out on this!

Re: rg-6 cable - 02/23/04 07:33 PM

hey Soundhound...bought a Canare crimping tools & plugs....ya! they are expensive! bUT OVER THE COURSE OF MY LIFE i'M SURE THEY WILL BE WELL SPENT $ THANKS

------------------
;-)

Re: rg-6 cable - 02/23/04 07:34 PM

Sorry, didn't mean to SCREAM ! ;-)