Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#18498 - 06/10/09 11:00 PM My OPPO
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
I received my new OPPO BDP83 this Saturday smile but did not have a chance to introduce it to the rest of it's new family.
Excited I was. smile laugh
I just sold my Sony BDP S550 on e-bay in literaly the last few minutes of the auction. I had it listed at a reasonable price of $250.00 with FREE SHIPPING. I still cannot believe how long into the bid that it took to sell. In any event that story is over and a new one has begun with the OPPO.
First I was really impressed with the packing. eek Tight. The player itself was also in a black bag that ressemble a carrying bag for a laptop. The instruction manual is made very well resembleing a hardback book rather a cheap paperback that one is use too.
The remote is fantastic. cool A well light for all of the keys. The keys themselves are a deceit size. The 550 did have a light but not for all of the keys. It became irratating using that remote. mad
The player itself is very well made. Pretty good looking also.
Tuesday I did have the chance to sort of plug and play and was very impressed with the picture and I had not been in the setup menu.
Today I was able and ready to dive into the manual and the setup menu.
I am not much for tech talk or jargon. Sometimes intimadated by the likes, so when I say that it was easy...IT WAS REALLY EASY. wink I read the manual first. Scanning over most items since I was familiar with other players. The manual was easy reading which made the setup simple.
I set the speaker configurations to small, sub on. All trim setting are set to 0 and likewise the distance settings for the speakers.
The video adjustments that I made were minor.
The Sony 550 was always on the dark side no matter what settings.
The OPPO is quick loading and quiet and fast.
I set the contrast on the OPPO at +2 and the brightness at +2. The result was exactly what I was looking for. I was watching and listening to ELO-ZOOM DVD. Beautiful picture. Terrific audio...awesome audio...awesome picture. The best part about this I thought was that it was NOT a blu-ray disc. Without delay after the concert I slipped in King Kong.(Blu-Ray)
Need I say how pleased I am with my purchase. Absolutely. I am estatic.

I lost money on the Sony 550. Stupid me. Spent a pretty penny on the OPPO but I cannot say enough about this product.
If you are thinking confused about pulling the trigger on the OPPO BDP 83...Just do it. You won't be dissappointed.

Now I will have to update my pics.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#18499 - 06/14/09 06:06 AM Re: My OPPO
TooManyHobbies Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: XXX
There's a few other posts on this site regarding the BDP-83, all or mostly excellent. My wife and I are thrilled with ours. We've had it about a month. The first few disks we watched were standard DVDs upconverted to 1080p. After watching a standard DVD on a 52" screen in native resolution, the BDP-83 upconversion was a real joy. Now that we have our Netflix subscription switched over to Blu-Ray, we've had an opportunity to watch several Blu-Ray titles. The BDP-83 is an awesome player. I haven't hooked up the 7.1 analog to our 990, so we haven't experienced TrueHD audio yet, but the DD 5.1 audio has not been disappointing. Every aspect of the BDP-83 we've tried so far has been a pleasure to use. My middle-aged eyes even like the bigger buttons on the remote.

Bill

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts