Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#13803 - 09/22/04 03:52 PM Axiom Speakers
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita, KS
Howdy all...

I'm sorry if this is out of topic, but I trust the comments of other outlaws. My question, does anyone own, or has anyone tried, the Axiom M80ti speakers? or even better, the whole Axiom M80 speaker system? Are they any good...would the 7100 have any problems powering them?

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Incog

#13804 - 09/22/04 05:47 PM Re: Axiom Speakers
lomb7 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I have the M60's with the QS4's and am very happy with them. I would not get the "full" package as their subs are week. I have the LFM from outlaw but have heard great things about HSU and SVS subs. I do know that most people on Axioms own forum do not recomend the sub in the package. The M60's are very nice and it fits my room and taists very well. I do know that your 7100 will drive them well but, depending on the size of your room, you may want to look at the M60 package with the QS8's. I have heard that if your room is average in size that the M80's may be too much. I know that Axiom has a great forum and owners are always willing to invite you over for a listen. Do that and you will get a feel. You may want to listen to the M60's & the M80's. Let me know if can help out anymore.

#13805 - 09/22/04 11:44 PM Re: Axiom Speakers
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Lomb for the reply.

I actually own two of the LFM-1's..so I was going to try to get a package and substitute two more surrounds for the sub (7.1 system). I think my room volume is close to 3000 ft^3. According to their web site, I think I am in the M60 range...but I thought that if I was going to spend the money anyway, I might as well get the bigger speakers. I will definitely check out their forum, thanks. With their 30 money back policy like the outlaws, I might just audition some of them.

Thanks again!

#13806 - 09/23/04 02:18 AM Re: Axiom Speakers
lomb7 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Since you are looking, you may want to look at the Rocket packages at www.av123.com. I just picked up some RS750 B stock. I have read a lot about these and they rank high on a lot of lists. Again, you may want listen to both packages to get a feel since I know that almost every major city has someone with the speakers you are looking at.

#13807 - 09/23/04 01:56 PM Re: Axiom Speakers
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Axiom and Rockets are very different sounding. If you are into a brighter sounding speaker, Axiom is your speaker. If you prefer a warmer speaker then you should check out Rocket. I believe both have 30 day money back guarantees so you may just want to order both and lose 50-100 on shipping one back. It cost more, but its an important decision you are making.

[This message has been edited by Jed M (edited September 23, 2004).]

#13808 - 09/23/04 05:13 PM Re: Axiom Speakers
lomb7 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I think that it is great to hear the speakers in your house but your first move should be to listen to them at someones home. Unless you want to spend the $$ to send one set back. I have teh M60's, like them a lot. I am also having some RS750's coming in this Friday so I will have the best of both worlds. Both sites have a lot of people that will allow you to listen in their home.

#13809 - 10/01/04 11:42 AM Re: Axiom Speakers
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

I'm back...sorry for the delay guys...

I got the Axiom Epic 80 system without the sub, and with two additional surrounds. I love the clarity of these speakers...but the center (VP150) is bothering me. It doesn't have very good off axis performance, and it isn't blending in well with the mains. I have it atop a big entertainment center (because there is no room under the TV). I put coasters under the back of it to angle it down toward the cough some...but when I watch a movie..it still sounds like the voices are coming from atop the cabinet (when I am not sitting in the exact point in which I calibrated the system). I'm not referring to a long distance from the calibrated point either...I'm talking about sitting on the couch to sitting on the floor in front of the couch. My old DefTech center sounded the same regardless of where I sat...and was in the same location (on top of the EC).

My question....has anyone else had any problems getting this speaker positioned, or found a way to get it to blend better with the other speakers? It looks like it is made for being closer to the TV, or positioned under the TV. I love the other speakers though. I hate to send the center back and get a center that isn't from the same manufacturer.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome. Thanks all!!!

Incog

#13810 - 10/01/04 01:25 PM Re: Axiom Speakers
lomb7 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Sorry to hear about your center. I am not sure what to do with it. Sounds like you may have to play around with it's location and tilt angle to get what you want. Since I do own the M60's from Axiom I know that you can call their customer service. They are very versed in placement and will be more then willing to help you through this issue.

On a side note. I got the Rocket 750's and they are AWSOME. I like my Axioms but the Rockets are in a whole different catagory. Take into account that I have the M60's, not the M80's when making this comment but I have to say that the Rockets are a much better all around speaker. In my head to head I found that the Axioms are fairly bright. The Rocket has awsome base and the music quality is a 10 where the Axiom would be around an 8.

#13811 - 10/04/04 08:19 AM Re: Axiom Speakers
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

Just out of curiousity...what made you get the Rockets? Are you going to have a seperate HT and music speaker? After your comments, I thought about ordering a pair of those and comparing them too...but I really like the M80's. I'm sure they aren't much different than your M60's. My friends think they are bright..and they are a little on the bright side...but I tend to like that sound. Once I got my ICBM hooked up and put in an SACD....OMG! I couldn't believe the detail I get out of the Axioms. I think I would find it hard to believe that any speaker could be more detailed than these. The only thing that bothered me was the center channel, and I decided to not angle it. It actually blends a little better now. So, I'm going to put these through their paces in the next week and if I decide to return them..I'll give the Rockets a chance. They are a bit more pricey than the Axioms though.

I am pretty curious what prompted your purchase of both sets though. Are you just in a comparison phase too, or did you have an intent for the Rockets before you bought them?

Thanks for all of you comments and suggestions! I'm hoping to be a proud owner of one of these two sets of speakers soon. I'm all for this direct buying thing. The Outlaws got me hooked.

Thanks again!

#13812 - 10/04/04 11:43 AM Re: Axiom Speakers
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

Ok...I broke down and ordered a set of the Onix Rockets (5 speaker package) to listen to them against the Axioms.

I hope that the rest of the speakers sound as good as you say the mains sound.

Thanks for you comments, again. I'll let you know what I decide. They should be here by Thursday.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 171 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts