Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#79779 - 01/05/10 05:25 PM Center Channel Different From L,R and Rears
nortynorty Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I have 5 Mirage Omnisat v2 speakers and an LFM1-EX connected to my 1070. This setup meets my needs although I am least happy with the center channel. The design of the Omnisat's are such that they disperse the sound in multiple directions. I recently purchased the Standout Designs Horizon N702 Plus TV console which has a space for a center channel, but I find that while listening to movies, I often find that my wife and I are asking, "what did they say?". I think a purely front firing speaker would be better, however, I am concerned about mixing the Outlaw LCR with the Mirages. How much of a concern should that be?

#79780 - 01/05/10 06:32 PM Re: Center Channel Different From L,R and Rears
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Certainly mixing speakers like that across the front soundstage is not optimal. I haven't heard the Mirage Omnisats to know how they compare to the Outlaw speakers, though, so it's hard to say just how significant a difference you would end up hearing. The LCR's certainly a mighty fine speaker...

#79781 - 01/05/10 09:01 PM Re: Center Channel Different From L,R and Rears
nortynorty Offline
Gunslinger

That is my concern. As I don't think I can accommodate LCR's for my L&R I thought I'd seek advice here. I don't suppose comparing specs between the Omnisats and the LCR would provide any meaningful information. Probably the only real way to evaluate would be to buy one and try it at home.

#79782 - 01/06/10 05:02 AM Re: Center Channel Different From L,R and Rears
gonk Offline
Desperado

Yeah, unfortunately specs really won't tell you much about how they would integrate...

#79783 - 01/06/10 05:53 PM Re: Center Channel Different From L,R and Rears
og33 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: White Cloud, Michigan
I tried the LCR with my mains as they use the same SEAS drivers so I thought they would work pretty well...didn't integrate across the front very well. Your best bet is to get one and give it a shot!
Panasonic BDP-45
Outlaw LFM-2

2 Channel:
Red Dragon M-500 monoblocks
BAT-VK3i
Salk HT-1TL's
Apple TV
Beresford 7520 DAC
Surgex XS10

#79784 - 01/07/10 12:04 AM Re: Center Channel Different From L,R and Rears
gunslinger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Spring Lake, Michigan
I recently purchased an Outlaw LCR and I am using it with my B&W 685's and so far I am loving it. I did turn the high frequency switch to the -2 position and turned the center down a little on my 970. Multi channel music sounds amazing. Voices are so much more forward sounding and detailed. I honestly was not thinking there would be as much of a difference as there is. My previous center was a B&W LCR60 which has been a great speaker but I sold it to my father for an excuse to try an Outlaw speaker product. So far it has been a great choice. The build quality is amazing for the money. The cherry finnish is very nice and I love the metal grill. I would say it is worth a listen.

#83190 - 04/02/10 12:16 PM Re: Center Channel Different From L,R and Rears [Re: gunslinger]
nortynorty Offline
Gunslinger

Finding a matching center channel which would have been an upgrade over the Omnisat v2 was not easy. I kept an eye on the Outlaw and Emotiva websites waiting for a speaker sale. Outlaw won. I was thrilled to have received the recent email and ordered 3 LCR's. They arrived Wednesday, were calibrated with my RS SPL. I have watched one movie so far and plan to give them more activity over the coming weekend. I set the crossovers to 80 as that was recommended for my 1070. Speakers are still set to small, (large on the Oppo BD). Is that correct? Also, how long a time would you expect it to take for the break in period? First impression is good. Look forward to further eval over the course of the month.

#83194 - 04/02/10 04:18 PM Re: Center Channel Different From L,R and Rears [Re: nortynorty]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: nortynorty
I set the crossovers to 80 as that was recommended for my 1070. Speakers are still set to small, (large on the Oppo BD). Is that correct? Also, how long a time would you expect it to take for the break in period? First impression is good. Look forward to further eval over the course of the month.

That all sounds correct. I assume you've got the analog bass management switch on the 1070's rear panel set to "HPF/LPF", right?

#83201 - 04/03/10 08:12 AM Re: Center Channel Different From L,R and Rears [Re: gonk]
nortynorty Offline
Gunslinger

Actually, I had it set to Digital so I changed it to HPF/LPF. Let me go through my other connections: BDP-83 connected to TV via HDMI. Audio output to 1070 is coax and 5.1 analog out.

#83203 - 04/03/10 08:51 AM Re: Center Channel Different From L,R and Rears [Re: nortynorty]
gonk Offline
Desperado

That all sounds good.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 145 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts