I have a question for a two speaker system I am hoping on building. First of all, I have to say that even though I have been reading/studying this audio scene for more than a year now, I am still a newbie. That may become painfully obvious soon enough. I have a SAE A202 Power Amp which I bought new when I was in college, and an OPPO BDP-83SE. The SAE will NOT be part of my system, the OPPO will be. I hope to use this forum as my inspiration and guidance as I build, learn, and ultimately put together a decent system.

I plan on purchasing the Legacy Focus SE speakers, which run at 4 Ohms, and each speaker has two pairs of binding posts so that they can be bi-amped. I was planning on buying 4 M2200 amps for this purpose, 2 for each side to get 300 watts into 4 ohms x2 for a total of 600 watts per channel/speaker. Since the recommended amplification for these speaker is 10 - 500 Watts. The two amps per side should give me more than enough power.

That being said, and being a newbie to this new enterprise, I have to admit that I have no idea how to go about connecting them all since the preamp I plan on buying will be a two channel preamp with only one set of L & R outputs. By this I mean: How do I use ‘one’ L balanced output connection from the preamp for the ‘two’ L balanced inputs of the two M2200’s. I first thought that I would have to go from the preamp to a crossover to the speakers, but I soon realized that the crossovers also have only one input/output per side, and secondly, bi-amped capable speakers already have an internal crossover to better split the frequency that the bi-amping can afford. Blue Jeans Cable makes a splitter, Belden 1508A Y-splitter Balanced Audio Cable, but would that not just degrade the sound. So . . . , what do I do? Or would it be ridicules to add these amps to the legacy speakers? Thank you all who respond.

Guido

Edited by Tuvac (03/28/12 02:11 PM)