Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#73652 - 11/15/05 02:08 PM best outlaw amp option right now?
rdperry Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Dayton Ohio
I am going to order an outlaw amp(s) in the next few days and I am wondering if I should go with the 7125 or the buy four get one free 2200. Maybe I should wait for the new 200 watt multichannel amps that will be here soon. I am thinking that the 5 mono amps give me alot of connection options while the 7125 or one of the new 200 watt multichannel amps will be a simpler cleaner install. Is there advantages to having one mutltichannel amp as far as performance is concerned. I am taking my first venture into the world of seperates and was wondering if some of you outlaws out there could help advise on some of the pros and cons of my chosen options. Thanks abunch.

#73653 - 11/15/05 04:06 PM Re: best outlaw amp option right now?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
What speakers are you using? There's a very good chance that the 7125 will suit your needs perfectly, although there are a few cases where the speakers used (due to low speaker efficiency, often in conjunction with a large room) can benefit from the extra power of the 200W amps. Presumably you're not getting a 990 at the same time (since that would let you go with the 7125 trade-in deal ).

#73654 - 11/15/05 05:31 PM Re: best outlaw amp option right now?
rdperry Offline
Gunslinger

I have polk Rti100, with 50 watt powered subs built in. I think that they are 90db sensitivity but I can't remember for sure. I have a Cerwin Vega Hts-2 with satellites and center that have a sensitivity of 91db and side surrounds that are jbl n28 with a sensitivity of 90db. The Hts came with a 10" 100 watt powered sub that due to living in a townhome I rarelly get to let loose. This is far from a great speaker set up I know but due to a couple of deals and Sams and circuit city I got this system for around $500. Speaking of Sams I dont know if any of you outlaws out there are members but word has it that they are having some huge deals on tvs the day after Thanksgiving. Any way I plan to upgrade my speakers in the coming months as my budget and wife will allow. I am going to use my current Nad 752 as my processer for now although I do plan on upgrading to a dedicated pre/amp after upgrading my speakers and letting the whole hddvd format war pan out. I was kind of thinking that a 5x200 watt set of the 2200 would would be worth the extra $222 as compared to the $999 7125. I really enjoy a strong dynamic presentation of my movies, movies and video games. I know that a better speaker suite and pre/pro would yield a better soundstage and cleaner sound but I am thinking that a decent receiver like the Nad 752 and five of the 2200's would really give me a large leap in performance compared to the mid-level receivers that I have used in the past.

#73655 - 11/15/05 05:49 PM Re: best outlaw amp option right now?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If you expect to stick with a 5.1 speaker setup for the foreseeable future, I think you have a good point about the value of the five M2200's (even though my initial reflex is to say that the 7125 should serve you fine) - it would give you a bit more reserve depending on what speakers you upgrade to, and there are certainly benefits to monoblocks if you can handle the inconvenience of five amps and five power cords. And if you do decide to go to 7.1, a decent used two-channel amp or an extra pair of monoblocks will get you on track pretty easily.

#73656 - 11/15/05 07:13 PM Re: best outlaw amp option right now?
rdperry Offline
Gunslinger

I planned on using the 752 to power the rear surrounds of my 7.1 setup. You kind of got me thinking that maybe I should give the 7125 a try first since I have 30 days to audition it and see if it meets my needs. That $222 that I will save if it does fit my needs will be the first step towards a better set of speakers or perhaps I could sell my Nad on ebay and get a 990? What would have the bigger impact on the overall sound speakers or the 990.

#73657 - 11/16/05 09:32 AM Re: best outlaw amp option right now?
BruceH Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by rdperry:
What would have the bigger impact on the overall sound speakers or the 990.
Speakers will always have the biggest impact on the sound. What sort of space do have for a home theater? Are you limited with the size of speakers you can implement? Please also note that placement of speakers is very critical in creating a seamless and full soundstage.

The next improvement would be the amp. The NAD receiver is a fine piece of equipment. Most peopl are happy with the 5.1 setup, though there are those who have the 7.1 and say they would never go back.

Bruce

#73658 - 11/16/05 08:19 PM Re: best outlaw amp option right now?
rdperry Offline
Gunslinger

I know that speakers have a big impact on the overall sound of your system but I guess that I feel that my polk rti 100 speakers are pretty good for the type of listening that I do. It has been my experience that after a point the quality of the speakers reaches its point of diminishing return (for me any way)before your source components and your means of processing snd amplification. I like music and I have a dvd audio player and some dvd audio disc but I wouldnt consider my self a critical music listener. For me I think that improvments that I have heard in my system after upgrading my speakers (from cheap KLH to the POlKS)have not been equal to the improvments that I heard when I have upgraded receivers. For the future though I see my self upgrading to a dedicated amp either the 7125 or 5 2200's then speakers and finally a dedicated pre/pro. The hard part now is weighing the pros and con of the 7125 vs the 2200's. I like the idea of the easier connections of the 7125 and think that it will be enough power for my current 21x17 townhouse but,I would also like knowing that with the 2200's I have the power and flexablity for any system that I might put together in the future. The buy four get one free on the 2200's is the real hook right now. I could wait for the 755's replacment but I believe that it will be in the $1500 range while the 5 2200's will run me about $1222 right now.

#73659 - 11/17/05 08:56 PM Re: best outlaw amp option right now?
rdperry Offline
Gunslinger

Are there any of you outlaws out there that are running a stack of five or more 2200's and if so how are they working out for you. I am 99% sure that I am going to order a stack of five next week and was wondering if any one who has this set up has any tips or comments they might be able to share. I know that a 7125 would most likley do the trick but I want to be able to focus on other upgrades and with 200 watts x 5 I wont have to worry about speaker sensitivity or room size being an issue in the future.

#73660 - 11/19/05 04:12 PM Re: best outlaw amp option right now?
musiciseverything Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Missouri
I stack my five M200s on an amp stand with plenty of space around them and have never had a problem.

#73661 - 11/19/05 06:36 PM Re: best outlaw amp option right now?
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
Do you mostly watch movies or mostly listen to 2-channel audio? If you spend a lot of time with 2 channel audio, having the huge power supply from a 5 or 7-channel amp can be a real benefit over the relatively small supply in the 2200.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 59 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts