Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#73092 - 07/27/07 04:37 PM Wish list for next receiver model
Green Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
Hi all,
After using 1070 receiver for about a month, I like it very much. It sounds clear, transparent, dynamic with good speaker separation. Overall sound is very good for both music and movie. There are many nice reviews about this receiver by users and professional. You can check them out. However, there is always room for improvement. Here is my wish list for the next receiver, just in case I buy a new one in the future.

My wish list:

- Take out Dolby Pro logic II Cinema, Music and Game since the receiver already have Dolby Pro logic IIx. The receiver should be able to output 5.1 or 7.1 signal based on the number of speakers that is set in the menu.

- Take out 5 channel stereo and 7 channel stereo and replace with one "all channel stereo" label. Again, receiver should put out signal based on the number of speakers that is set in the menu.

- Inputs in the back of receiver should label from 1 to 8 and user can assign the label for each input or set as "skip input". In that case, user does not have to scroll through 8 inputs when only 3 are in use. I've seen it is done in the menu of Sony XBR2 HDTV. There should be at least two DVDs and two CDs labels rather than just one for each.

- Firmware can be updated directly by using USB 2.0 flash drive, no need for cable, laptop, or desktop computer.

- No need for a power switch in the back. User can turn off the system by unplug it.

- Higher output 75 watts/channel rather than 65 watts/channel (it is never hurt to have a little more power). Hope that it does not drive up the cost.

- Have HDMI connector for HDTV rather than DVI. It is crazy to use DVI connector. All new HDTV have HDMI, not DVI!

- Faster start up and response when switching between inputs.

- Having ability to wakeup a subwoofer by sending a signal to subwoof when system is turned on. The signal needs to be short and strong enough to wake up the subwoofer without creating any audiable sound.

- Crossover for speakers is in 10 Hz increment rather than 20 Hz.

- MUST KEEP: A GOOD SOUND QUALITY OVERALL FOR MUSIC AND MOVIE.

This wish list is based on my limited usage and knowledge about this receiver. Feel free to add more in. I hope that someone in Outlaw read this list and think about it for their next model.

Thanks all,
Think Green.

#73093 - 07/27/07 04:58 PM Re: Wish list for next receiver model
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Good list, Green.
Quote:
Take out Dolby Pro logic II Cinema, Music and Game since the receiver already have Dolby Pro logic IIx. The receiver should be able to output 5.1 or 7.1 signal based on the number of speakers that is set in the menu.
The difference between PLII and IIx is largely one of semantics in most cases. Having said that, unless Dolby requires PLII to be retained I agree that it would seem to be fine to let PLIIx stand alone.
Quote:
Inputs in the back of receiver should label from 1 to 8 and user can assign the label for each input or set as "skip input". In that case, user does not have to scroll through 8 inputs when only 3 are in use. I've seen it is done in the menu of Sony XBR2 HDTV. There should be at least two DVDs and two CDs labels rather than just one for each.
The option to skip an input is more common on TV's than receivers because TV's often lack discrete input buttons. Receivers allow you to jump straight to an input, so disabling inputs isn't as useful a feature. Labeling inputs, on the other hand, is a feature that I have really liked on the 990. This would also allow you to abandon "DVD" and "CD" inputs entirely if you wanted - you could just have Video1 through Video5 and Audio1 through Audio3, and the user names then as appropriate. You can then have two DVD players and have the input labels identify which is which.
Quote:
Firmware can be updated directly by using USB 2.0 flash drive, no need for cable, laptop, or desktop computer.
If they could do it, I'd certainly second this suggestion.
Quote:
No need for a power switch in the back. User can turn off the system by unplug it.
I wouldn't mind keeping the rear power switch. it's not particularly intrusive and is a nice bit of easy insurance when making cable changes (without pulling the power cord and possibly losing track of it in the snake pit of cords).
Quote:
Have HDMI connector for HDTV rather than DVI. It is crazy to use DVI connector. All new HDTV have HDMI, not DVI!
This is inevitable. When the 1070 was developed, HDMI was a very slippery slope while DVI was much more stable. In the intervening years, HDMI has muscled DVI out of the way and finally reached a point where it can really carry audio in a useful manner.
Quote:
Having ability to wakeup a subwoofer by sending a signal to subwoof when system is turned on. The signal needs to be short and strong enough to wake up the subwoofer without creating any audiable sound.
This is sort of a neat idea, although implementing it so that it was at a high enough level to trigger most subs without creating user anxiety could be tricky ("What's wrong with my sub!? It makes a funny noise whenever I turn it on!")

#73094 - 07/28/07 08:31 AM Re: Wish list for next receiver model
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Loc: NY
The 1070 is clearly the Audiophile's path into HT. The Music sounds like MUSIC, not some thin, lean crap that other receiver and even some preamp/amps setups. The movies sound is nice yet my system sounds better whit stereo music. The room is better setup for music which is harder to get to sound right. Note the system I use: The DVD player went out for mods so when it comes back, the music sound (I use the analog out)while be unreal! I went to listen to other units out there in better set up rooms which have 12 feet between fronts, 8-18 feet from seat to the rears. I thought movies in those rooms sounding awesome yet when I tried music, I wanted to vomit. The Outlaw sound is musical and that is why I love the unit. The 1070 and I am told by Gonk the 990 too, does and great job and decoding the audio stream which using the ditial out (Thanks Gonk). The cabel I use , the best out there still needs to break in so I expect movies to sound even better soon.

The movies audio is lossy so my audiophile ears may tell my brain that the sound is not at good as in can be. I feel having move room behind me for the rears would help and more space between the fronts.

Music is the #1 thing most important to me yet I have to give it little up to enjoy good surround sound.

For the next receiver, I want Outlaw to keep the sound signature the same. I do feel some more power will benefit me for live DVD concerts.

I also would like to see a USB port for updates for the firmware. That way, I and anyone can use a laptop. I have been told the serial port is better than USB for some people.

As far as HDMI is concerent, wait the HDMI 1.3 is settled on and do not be like the japs who throw that on when in fact is is useless. I would like the see Outlaw Audio wait the HD-AUDIO decoding can be done on the unit!

Maybe a power on button on the remote would be nice. I use a universal remote so it is not a big deal.

Liz out
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Audio Note Dac 2.1 "B" signature
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

#73095 - 07/29/07 06:17 PM Re: Wish list for next receiver model
chas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minnesota
Quote:
Take out 5 channel stereo and 7 channel stereo and replace with one "all channel stereo" label. Again, receiver should put out signal based on the number of speakers that is set in the menu.
Let's at least have the ability to use this mode with a digital signal. The 1070 only seems to be able to use this with an analog signal - every receiver I've owned had this mode as an option regardless of incoming signal...I would think this would be an easy modification.

#73096 - 07/29/07 07:21 PM Re: Wish list for next receiver model
Green Offline
Gunslinger

Hi all,
Of course, bigger display on receiver is needed.

Lizard King, I heard about "cable break in" concept floating around on the net. However, no "official physic books or scientific literature" supports and proves the existence of this concept except for "cable selling manufactors"! Don't believe in this. I am willing to learn and be educated if you can provide me with chapters in physic book or scientific articles published by researchers from establish universities.

Thanks,
Think Green

#73097 - 07/30/07 07:36 PM Re: Wish list for next receiver model
chas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minnesota
Quote:
Of course, bigger display on receiver is needed.
Good one Green - that's a must. The current display is worthless.

#73098 - 07/30/07 11:12 PM Re: Wish list for next receiver model
OutlawDuck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, OR
HDMI is given. My guess HDMI 1.3a will be used for HD support.

Response between inputs is the software decoding the stream. Cambridge Audio I demoed was about 7 seconds between Input change. The Denon AVR 3802 I just replaced with the 1070 was about 2 seconds. I have no problem with the current timing.

I would agree for a bigger display and the ability to edit labels. Having Video 1-5 would be enhanced with label editing.

Firmware update via USB would be great. Building in support for the future model to recognize a USB device and supply the power could be problematic.

Outlaw Duck
Paradigm CC-300 Center
NAD T-534 DVD
AMC CD8b CD
Transparent MusicLink Plus Interconnect
Analysis Plus Oval 12 speaker cable
Salamander Synergy Triple 30
Samsung LN-T3252H LCD

#73099 - 07/31/07 03:42 AM Re: Wish list for next receiver model
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Loc: NY
Green,

I know for fact that certain desings in cables and componets absolutely require break in time for the sound to be musical.

Back in the early 90's, I used and sold the Illuminati Digital cable which was the best. When Chris Sommivigo released the next cable, the D-60, I got one and was not pleased. I spoke with Chris and he convinced me to week as few weeks. Sure enough, after 3 weeks I clearly heard the changes and I was HAPPY! That D-60 is still in use as I have it from mu HD cable Box to the 1070. I now have the next cable from Chris under his Sterovox line and was told give it 300 hours. I took that cable to an audiophile meeting and the effects were that it was very Clear yet still needed some break it time.

The Denon DVD 3930CI needed about 50 hours for me to begin liking the sound yet I would say after 150 hours, the capactiors broke in.

"Lizard King, I heard about "cable break in" concept floating around on the net. However, no "official physic books or scientific literature" supports and proves the existence of this concept except for "cable selling manufactors"! Don't believe in this. I am willing to learn and be educated if you can provide me with chapters in physic book or scientific articles published by researchers from establish universities. "

Thanks,
Think Green
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Audio Note Dac 2.1 "B" signature
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

#73100 - 07/31/07 05:40 AM Re: Wish list for next receiver model
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Well, I'm only scratching the surface of the whole audio thing, but it seems like there's science out there about cables that's somewhat specious. When I changed subwoofer cables recently (for practical reasons, explained above), I was surprised to find a pdf file on the Cobalt Cable site entitled "Common Cable Myths Explained." Here's just two of the myths, one specifically dealing with break-in:

Quote:
Myth #5: Cryogenic Treatment improves cables.
We know we will probably upset a lot of esoteric cable fans out there, but the reality is that the science this is based on is completely false. The theory supporting cryogenic treatment for cables has to do with molecular realignment. The argument is that when cables are manufactured, the molecules are arranged in a random pattern. By cryogenically freezing your cables (and letting them slowly return to room temperature), you will realign your molecules, allowing for better electron flow. OK, now for the truth. This is impossible. Cables are SOLIDS, and the molecules cannot realign themselves (it is like asking a fly in an ice cube to please rise to the top of the cube, while frozen). The only way to really realign molecules would be to run almost as much current as it would take to melt your cables, which would destroy all insulation on the cable, thus ruining the cable.

Myth #6: Cables need to break-in before being at their utmost. This myth is similar to Myth #5. Basically speaking, the logic goes that you need to introduce a signal to your cables to get the molecules to realign. As with myth #5, it would take so much “juice” to be run through your cables that the conductors would practically melt in order to rearrange the molecules. Our favorite has been “break-in service” offered by some companies where only one end of the cable is plugged in. We don’t know whether to laugh or cry about this. Another quick note on break-in, we have found it quite common for manufacturers to use the “break-in” period to get people out of their return window. In addition, it is a fact of life that if you have had an item in your system for several weeks; you are likely to not want to go through the effort of tearing apart your system to return something. Also, in our opinion, the phenomenon of break-in has to do with the break-in of your brain, rather than the equipment. Your brain naturally likes what is familiar, and if you re-train your brain to like a new sight/sound, you will most likely favor this new sight/sound.
FYI...

#73101 - 07/31/07 08:00 PM Re: Wish list for next receiver model
Green Offline
Gunslinger

Dear Lizard King,
You are sure having the expensive and well made cables. I bet that your audio system can get the benefits from those cable. However, I just want to point out that my disagreement is the concept of "cable break in". There are many reviews about audio cables but no one shows data on "cable break in". If you look at company that claims "cable requires break in", they don't provide any physical measurement data about it. It is just "hearsay from customers". Why these companies don't provide evidence supporting their claim?!? My guess, this concept is a "Myth".
Sincerely,
Think Green

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts