Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#88762 - 12/13/11 02:36 PM New to the group - Amp question
fc911c Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NE Pa.
Hi

I was wondering if anyone is using the 7125 or any other outlaw amp to power Linkwitz Orions speakers. I am in the market for new Amps. Also when do they usally run sales?

Thanks
Frank
Akai GX-747DBX R2R
Blue Jeans interconnects
Linkwitz Orions 3.3 Speakers
Outlaw 7125 Amps X 2
SennHeiser Hd 580 Head phones

#88764 - 12/13/11 03:57 PM Re: New to the group - Amp question [Re: fc911c]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't recall anyone posting with experience with Linkwitz Orions, and they appear to be a rather unusual product. The brochure isn't real clear on how the speaker is configured. It does mention that they recommend eight channels of amplification for a pair, even though the speaker is listed as a three-way active design, which suggests that three channels are needed per speaker. The "active" design made it sound almost like the design incorporates the amplification, but it appears that they've done active tri-amping with crossover networks meant to be connected upstream of the amps. Will a seven-channel amp suffice for these, assuming the woofers share an amp channel so you only use six channels of amplification?

This is actually the best time of year to look for sales.

#88766 - 12/13/11 05:25 PM Re: New to the group - Amp question [Re: gonk]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
The Orions take 4 amplifier channels per speaker: one for the tweeter, one for the mid, and one for each 10" woofer. The Linkwitz base design is to drive these with a 60 Watt per channel amp. Linkwitz has a 12 channel design available.

Alternatively the two woofers in each speaker can be connected in parallel and then you only need a 6 channel amp. Linkwitz has a 6-channel, 180 watt per channel amp although he warns that 180 watts is enough to damage both the woofers and the tweeters if driven hard enough. Note: In parallel the woofers present a 2 ohm load to the amp.

The Outlaw amps should be able to drive the speakers although the manual does caution against driving 2 ohm loads at loud levels. I'd probably go with the 7125 to give plenty of headroom, but I will say I tend to be conservative. You'll need to add cross-overs somewhere.

I've looked at these designs a lot but never figured they'd be worth the money or effort. Also I've never run across anyone who had a pair. Do you have them? If so, how do they sound?

#88770 - 12/13/11 09:59 PM Re: New to the group - Amp question [Re: EEman]
fc911c Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NE Pa.
Hi yes I do. I built them myself including the EQ/XO. I like them very much. You are correct in what youv'e explained about them. As far as the two ohm load I was considering using two 7125's and using seperate channels for each tweeter. With the new seas woofers I think more than 125 wpc is needed to drive them in parralell but buy using two 7125's there are more than enough to run each driver on its own channel. The crossover goes between the preamp and the amp.
Akai GX-747DBX R2R
Blue Jeans interconnects
Linkwitz Orions 3.3 Speakers
Outlaw 7125 Amps X 2
SennHeiser Hd 580 Head phones

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts