Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#68439 - 07/17/08 11:10 PM Audio Source ques.
Outlawnut Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Miami, Florida
Anyway to play two audio sources thru the same set of speakers without Multi-room? I like to listen to Music from my PC and play Xbox at the same time. I know the Xbox plays music but I have to put the Xbox in stereo which kills my games in 5.1.

#68440 - 07/17/08 11:38 PM Re: Audio Source ques.
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
If you have the xbox getting the music from your PC using Media Player why would you have to set your processor to stereo? The music still gets played in stereo but the game info is still output in 5.1.

At least that's been my experience with it.

Are we talking xbox 360 here?

#68441 - 07/17/08 11:53 PM Re: Audio Source ques.
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Two audio sources can't be actively input at the same time. You can have an audio input active while watching a different video input (select the video input first, then change to an audio only input like CD, Aux, Tape, Phono, or Tuner), but you'll only be listening to one thing.

#68442 - 07/18/08 03:35 PM Re: Audio Source ques.
Outlawnut Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Two audio sources can't be actively input at the same time. You can have an audio input active while watching a different video input (select the video input first, then change to an audio only input like CD, Aux, Tape, Phono, or Tuner), but you'll only be listening to one thing.
Damn, my cheap Pionner did that .. on well. Thanks anyways. Something to add to the suggestions list smile

#68443 - 07/18/08 03:37 PM Re: Audio Source ques.
Outlawnut Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by BloggingITGuy:
If you have the xbox getting the music from your PC using Media Player why would you have to set your processor to stereo? The music still gets played in stereo but the game info is still output in 5.1.

I have to set it to Stereo 5 chan for my sub to work. I have large fronts and the sub set to LFE only. Yea I'm talking about the Xbox360, I would like to keep that device in 5.1 for my games since they sound better in surround. I wanted to play music straight from my PC to the 990 in 5 CHan Stereo while listening to a 5.1 source at the same time. Gonk says not possible so I'll have to deal with it

At least that's been my experience with it.

Are we talking xbox 360 here?

#68444 - 07/18/08 04:00 PM Re: Audio Source ques.
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Playing two sources at once when both are stereo analog is relatively straightforward, but when you start mixing audio formats (as you are bound to do when dealing with a modern surround sound setup) would be very complicated.A CD will be PCM stereo, which doesn't require decoding by the DSP prior to surround processing, but I would expect mixing two PCM digital signals outside the DSP will take some additional hardware. Your Xbox360's games are playing back as a Dolby Digital bitstream (hence the 5.1 sound), so the processor has to decode that into raw multichannel PCM before applying other DSP. That means it can't be mixed with something else outside the DSP, so you would need a DSP with multiple inputs and the ability to mix those inputs downstream of decoding. And that doesn't even address issues with audio levels (DVD's are mixed lower than CD and broadcast TV to preserve headroom), which will require some sort of system to manage unless you want to be at the mercy of individual sources.

Bottom line: I may be missing something, but I don't see how it would even be possible to mix multiple audio inputs in a surround processor without significant cost and complexity.

#68445 - 07/19/08 02:35 AM Re: Audio Source ques.
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Why not just buy a boombox and play the music through it. With the game makin all the racket you won't notice the sonic loss anyway.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#68446 - 07/21/08 02:09 PM Re: Audio Source ques.
Outlawnut Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Playing two sources at once when both are stereo analog is relatively straightforward, but when you start mixing audio formats (as you are bound to do when dealing with a modern surround sound setup) would be very complicated.A CD will be PCM stereo, which doesn't require decoding by the DSP prior to surround processing, but I would expect mixing two PCM digital signals outside the DSP will take some additional hardware. Your Xbox360's games are playing back as a Dolby Digital bitstream (hence the 5.1 sound), so the processor has to decode that into raw multichannel PCM before applying other DSP. That means it can't be mixed with something else outside the DSP, so you would need a DSP with multiple inputs and the ability to mix those inputs downstream of decoding. And that doesn't even address issues with audio levels (DVD's are mixed lower than CD and broadcast TV to preserve headroom), which will require some sort of system to manage unless you want to be at the mercy of individual sources.

Bottom line: I may be missing something, but I don't see how it would even be possible to mix multiple audio inputs in a surround processor without significant cost and complexity.
OK thanks . I just sucked it up and listen to the music in Dolby. Oh well doesnt matter anyways with the noise from the game. cool

#68447 - 07/21/08 04:29 PM Re: Audio Source ques.
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
Yeah and last time I checked the sound coming from my speakers when my preamp was in Dolby Digital mode, the Xbox was playing the music streaming from the PC in stereo only, in other words it didn't matrix the audio information to make it play in 5.1 as well. YMMV

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts