Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#60185 - 05/10/06 11:18 PM Center channel calibration & harshness
Asx Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: FL
I noticed that if I try to calibrate the speakers with the internal noise I need to set the center channel to +5dB relative to L/R, which are left at 0. When I use the Avia disk, the same center channel needs to be calibrated to -1dB (mains are still at 0). How come???

Anyway, I have 4 days left to return the 990. To say the truth I'm a little bit torn. I think it sounds quite harsh or bright or whatever with my Paradigms Studio 100 speakers. In fact I never heard the Studios be that bright before. I have Cambridge Azur 640 CD player with Wolfson DACs. The difference between Stereo and Bypass is drastic. Wolfson DACs are not harsh at all, in fact swithcing to Bypass may seem to be dull at first as all that brightness is gone. But after listening for few minutes it's becoming clear that the sound is just more smooth and refined. Swithing back to Stereo or Upsampled from Bypass sounds like cheap boombox with highs boosted from 10KHz up.

So - I'm not sure what to do. Most probably will return the 990 and keep the 7700. Will use my old H/K 635 as pre/pro. In fact I think it sounds better than 990 (definetely not as harsh), but it has damn hum from the surround channels which I still need to fix. Oh, well.

#60186 - 05/11/06 12:17 AM Re: Center channel calibration & harshness
Skyblazer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Spokane, WA
I"m not familiar with the Paradigms Studio 100 speakers. sometimes it's the speakers themselves that are bright or harsh sounding. YOur old HK may have been more laid back in it's sound.

Do you have any other pairs of speakers you might be able to swap out with those and see how they sound?

Also, speaker wires and interconnects can add brightness as well.
Parasound P/HP-850 2 CH pre
Pioneer PL-530 TT
Polk Audio SDA 2B
NAD 2600A amp
Danger Boy here

#60187 - 05/20/06 06:55 PM Re: Center channel calibration & harshness
Asx Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Asx:
I noticed that if I try to calibrate the speakers with the internal noise I need to set the center channel to +5dB relative to L/R, which are left at 0. When I use the Avia disk, the same center channel needs to be calibrated to -1dB (mains are still at 0). How come???
I accidentally found that this was caused by Tone Defeat set to OFF too. If it's ON, everything calibrates fine with internal noise, if it's OFF, some weird channel level adjustments have to be made resulting in the center channel being about 5dB higher that the mains.

I wonder if somebody from Outlaws can explain what's going on with the DSP.

Btw, I still think DPLII Music is unusable with 990 as it shrinks the soundstage, messes up the bass, and brings harshness.

#60188 - 05/20/06 09:47 PM Re: Center channel calibration & harshness
Darth Tater Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by Asx:
[QUOTE]

Btw, I still think DPLII Music is unusable with 990 as it shrinks the soundstage, messes up the bass, and brings harshness.
I honestly do not hear this on my 990. When DirecTV is on, PLII is on and most of that time is spent on the XM radio channels. Sounds super smooth. Maybe you just don't like PLII? It's not the best thing in the world, but does good with DirecTV. I'd never listen to a CD with it on though. That's just blasphemy.

#60189 - 05/20/06 10:47 PM Re: Center channel calibration & harshness
Asx Offline
Gunslinger

I'm positive it does. Do you hear any difference in stereo when swithcing between ToneDefeat on/off? If you do, you should hear it with DPLII. Make sure you play a CD, not a DD 2.0 track, as I think it goes through the DSP already.
Btw I'm concerned about DPLII Music not sounding right exactly because I like it. Not always, but sometimes.

#60190 - 05/21/06 01:23 AM Re: Center channel calibration & harshness
Darth Tater Offline
Gunslinger

I'll try the tone defeat, I keep it turned off and all my 2 channel is done in bypass mode.

#60191 - 05/21/06 02:18 AM Re: Center channel calibration & harshness
Skyblazer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Spokane, WA
what does the tone defeat do exactly? it's turned off on my 990.
Parasound P/HP-850 2 CH pre
Pioneer PL-530 TT
Polk Audio SDA 2B
NAD 2600A amp
Danger Boy here

#60192 - 05/21/06 10:51 AM Re: Center channel calibration & harshness
Darth Tater Offline
Gunslinger

With tone defeat = on you're bypasing the tone controls for a cleaner signal.

With tone defeat = off the signal goes through the tone control circuit, but allows you to raise and lower bass/treble levels.

#60193 - 05/21/06 11:07 AM Re: Center channel calibration & harshness
Asx Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Skyblazer:
what does the tone defeat do exactly? it's turned off on my 990.
smile It certainly is not the purpose of the function.

I think it's just engaging the DSP. What the DSP is doing and why is it distorting the sound that much, that's the question.

#60194 - 05/21/06 11:50 AM Re: Center channel calibration & harshness
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
Asx,
As far as the paradigm go - i have not heard the harshness as you describe. I have 60's as mains and the big center from paradigm.

sorry you are having a tough time.
The system i have is very neutral and open. I'm working on bass traps for the room to clean up some lower end issues.

I have noticed a diference from video essential disk and the internal test tones. The test tones sound brighter and i have 1-2db in difference between the 2.
I like the 'thru entire system' approach.

thanks for your inputs ... cool
Give us an update to your final system.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 189 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts