Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#69931 - 01/08/10 05:36 AM Audio downgrade unless I use HDMI
bnashlund Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Northern Nevada
Hi all,

Just got my new Blu Ray player and it's got HDMI and optical audio out. Of course, we don't have HDMI on the 990, and I didn't think I'd miss it with so many digital audio options and DVI video support. So I went ahead and coughed up the MILLIONS of dollars for the new 990 pre/pro. wink

(Ok, my Carver CT-17 lasted me 18 years... It was time! Adios Analog surround!)

HOWEVER ! -

My Blu Ray player reviews say that I must use HDMI to take advantage of the truHD and other forms of hi-def audio.

Is it not true that the optical will decode the same audio? Or will I be missing "something" by using the optical vs. HDMI?

Thanks in advance!

#69932 - 01/08/10 10:54 AM Re: Audio downgrade unless I use HDMI
og33 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: White Cloud, Michigan
The only way you'll get Dolby True HD and DTS-MA HD is through HDMI or via analog outputs if your bluray player has them (but it sounds like yours doesn't). The optical will pass the core layer of regular Dolby Digital or DTS, whichever is set up on the disc. (gonk will correct me if I'm wrong!)

Welcome to the Saloon! I'm sure you'll love your 990.
Panasonic BDP-45
Outlaw LFM-2

2 Channel:
Red Dragon M-500 monoblocks
BAT-VK3i
Salk HT-1TL's
Apple TV
Beresford 7520 DAC
Surgex XS10

#69933 - 01/08/10 12:43 PM Re: Audio downgrade unless I use HDMI
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Og33 is right on target. See the HDMI FAQ in my sig for some more details, but Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, and multichannel PCM all involve too much data to fit across an optical or coaxial digital connection. Multichannel PCM discs have become rare, while TrueHD and DTS-HD have become the two standards. Both TrueHD and DTS-HD contain a "core" track that uses high bitrate Dolby Digital or DTS. This is generally disregarded by TrueHD and DTS-HD decoders (whether they are in a Blu-ray player or in a receiver with HDMI v1.3 support), but players will steer it to their coaxial and optical outputs for compatibility with equipment that doesn't support HDMI audio.

There are quite a few Blu-ray players that include a multichannel analog output. This output lets the player decode the new formats internally, convert to analog, and output that. You'll see quite a few people around here pairing the Model 990 (or the Model 970) with the OPPO Digital BDP-83. That is because the BDP-83 supports decoding of these formats as well as playback of SACD and DVD-Audio. It can then output all of that audio via 7.1 analog into the Model 990 or 970. There are other players with this capability, as well, such as the Panasonic BD80 and Sony S560. What player do you have currently?

#69934 - 01/08/10 03:52 PM Re: Audio downgrade unless I use HDMI
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
Does anyone have an opinnion on the quality of a 7.1 annalog connection vs. HDMI ?
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#69935 - 01/08/10 04:30 PM Re: Audio downgrade unless I use HDMI
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It depends on the player you are asking about, and for that matter on what receiver is at the other end of the HDMI cable. The biggest factor is where the DA conversion happens and how well it happens, although other considerations such as room correction can also have an influence. Typically, folks will recommend HDMI, but it isn't always that clear-cut.

In my BDP-83 review, I noted that I found the BDP-83's analog output to compare extremely well with the HDMI output when connected to the Onkyo PR-SC885. The 885 is no slouch (Burr-Brown DAC's and Audyssey room correction deserve some respect), but the BDP-83's stock Cirrus DAC's (the high-end offerings from Cirrus, making them pretty comparable to the TI/Burr-Brown chips in the 885 even if they don't have the name recognition) and some reasonably decent room acoustics were enough to prevent the HDMI connection from winning. In fact, for CD's we preferred the analog connection.

#69936 - 01/08/10 06:05 PM Re: Audio downgrade unless I use HDMI
bnashlund Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Northern Nevada
Thanks all, I guess I shouldn't complain TOO much. I ordered a new Sharp Aquos 52" this year, and because it was backordered past X-mas (and still is!) they sent me a BD-HP22U blu-ray as a "token gift" but it's only HDMI and no 7.1 analog out. I really thought about waiting to replace my old Carver stuff (I already waited 18 years!), but decided that with all the digital I/O and DVI, I'd be able to do whatever I needed. I was wrong.

Ok, so I'll "suffer" for now and either upgrade to a new blu-ray or maybe upgrade to the 997 if/when/ever it arrives.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Boy, you get out of technology for just 1 decade, and EVERYTHING changes! smile

Cheers!

#82726 - 03/08/10 10:50 AM Re: Audio downgrade unless I use HDMI [Re: bnashlund]
Bargamon Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: North Carolina
For the money the 990 is still a deal and very good piece.

I have pondered the new blue ray oppo but am still happy with my old DVD oppo and use the 7.1 analog inputs as described above. Its a wonderful sound.

This is the only way to listen to SACD or DVD-a.

For me it has taken a few years really to get the system totally right and I am very happy. I want blue ray but every looks and sounds so good now I want to just enjoy it for a time and work on another system in the house.

SACD and DVD-A is wonderful and even the most basic Oppo performs great!

Its not that Im not sold on blue ray but just have not seen other than Pixar type movies the resolution really making a huge difference in the experience.

Being said I have not heard a new BlueRay Audio disc yet either nor any reviews.

But no doubt if your upgrading that is the way to go and the oppo line is a great bargain.

In the end the better the recording the better the sound.

The original question was the 7.1 and when the player is set up proper, the sound is fantastic!

#82895 - 03/13/10 09:22 AM Re: Audio downgrade unless I use HDMI [Re: Bargamon]
ionhaze Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I don't think I would characterize the situation as a downgrade, but more of a preference - which component does the work, and which sounds best to you. I think it all depends on the source material and how sensitive your ears may be. For movies, I use a Panasonic BD-55 with analog outs to the 990, and couldn't be happier letting the BD player do the 5.1 decoding. A direct HDMI connection BD to TV works for me because it's one less component to get involved with the HDMI handshake mess. Movies require less critical listening. For serious music, I use the Arcam CD73 Cd player analog connected to the 990 in Bypass mode to the Klipsch RF5 speakers. So, it really is personal as to what is most important to you, and specifically what sounds best to you. Thank you.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 144 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts