Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#60364 - 05/20/06 07:05 PM 990 and Acurus Amp
Star113 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Gardena California
Well I've been a visitor here for awhile and decided on the 990 to replace my aging but great sounding Acurus ACT3. This may belong on the 7500 thread but I still have an Acurus A200x3 and want to get the 7500, but I'm concerned as to how the amps will compare. I decided on either Paradigm reference 100, or Deftech 7002, for the fronts and I will use the same brand for the rest of the speakers. My question is should I retire the Acurus and go with the 7700 or just let it drive the rear channels.

#60365 - 05/20/06 09:41 PM Re: 990 and Acurus Amp
Darth Tater Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South Carolina
I'll offer two comments:

I've never actually heard the Acurus amp you have, but it was on my list of amps when I was looking for a 3 channel amp. Actually it was at the top of my list until a super Rotel deal came along.

The only way to compare the sound quality is to do just that...get the Outlaw and compare. If it's not worth the difference in price to you, send it back. That's what the 30 day trial is for. However, I personally think that the balanced inputs of the Outlaw are worth it. But on the other hand, the Acurus is no slouch..but you can sell it for a good price on Ebay.

As far as speakers...I say Paradigm all the way. I never was a fan of DefTech, the bi-polar thing just rubs me the wrong way. I like a solid sounstage instead of that 'sound from everywhere' that I heard with DefTech. But again, it may be your thing. I just don't think you can go wrong with Paradigm. It will be years until you will get the itch for something else.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts