Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#51445 - 08/31/07 07:39 PM UUGH!! Clean Power for DLP
phatlac Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: lake mary, fl, USA
Okay! Just a bit perplexed on this end!

I have a couple of DLPs but they are not being powered anything with a UPS. Is this a problem? I have PANAMAX 5510 Regen and Monster Power 3600s for the smaller DLP and the LCD Monitor. Stereo boutique store suggested the DLPs need something with a UPS . . . . .well my original DLP is a first generation Samsung and no UPS for going on 6+ years.

Is there any truth to the DLP needs a UPS matter? I say no, but I've been out of the buying game for while and things may have changed a bit on me. I think they just need some clean steady power and that's it.

Thanks!!!

#51446 - 08/31/07 09:03 PM Re: UUGH!! Clean Power for DLP
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
In general, all the DLP displays that I know of are running without a UPS, and I've not heard the need for a UPS suggested before. I'd assume that the reasoning behind the UPS is cooling (if you lose power, you could turn the display off and the UPS would provide power for the cooling fan if the TV deemed it necessary), but I think that there's a fair bit of paranioa in going so far as to implement that - especially since you need a UPS that's fairly large by PC standard to handle the load represented by a projection TV's bulb. I might even go so far as to argue that if the designers cut things so close that a loss of power could reasonably produce enough overheating to cause damage to the display, then I don't know that I want to buy one of their displays.

#51447 - 08/31/07 09:21 PM Re: UUGH!! Clean Power for DLP
phatlac Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk!

I am thinking that I don't need one. After 6+ years of no issues . . .knock on wood . . .I am leaning toward just clean power.

I really like the Panamax products, but may try something different. I only need something for the dislpay. No other devices will plug into the new unit. I considered running a heavy duty power chord(25ft) to the disply from the current Panamax, but it would have to be next to the speaker/video/hdmi runs. I didn't think that would be such a good idea due to interference. I am actually doing that now temporarily, but the chord is not near the other signal cables.

Thanks again!

#51448 - 09/01/07 01:49 PM Re: UUGH!! Clean Power for DLP
slbenz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern California
Been using my current Mitsubishi DLP for almost two years with my Panamax 5100 without a problem. Seen several black and brown outs during that time without it affecting my DLP's bulb. So I think having a UPS connected would be overkill.

#51449 - 09/01/07 06:06 PM Re: UUGH!! Clean Power for DLP
mdrconsult Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
OK, I will jump in on the other side of the discussion as I have a Monster HTUPS500 in my system. I have it supplying power (down stream form my line conditioning) for both my DLP and my 990. The idea is in the event of a power failure I can gracefully shutdown both the processor and the DLP. In fact the HTUPS500 has an IR output that will send a signal to shutdown the system for you. Although I am not sure that is really needed unless I am asleep in front of the TV! I bought my HTUPS500 for around $100 on ebay and they are up there all the time. I figure $100 vs. the thousands I have in my system as a minor investment.

Please note I am not trying to provide UPS to my whole system that would be pointless. I am merely trying to protect the two units that can suffer most from sudden power loss. The DLP does have a circuit that keeps the fan running to cool the bulb after the system is powered down. The engineers put that in for a reason. Believe me if they could have gotten away with not having it they wouldn't have spent the extra money to put in that feature. Another thing in regards to power loss is that it often doesn't just drop out. It is very common for the power to bounce several time in a very short period of time. Prior to my installing the UPS I had an event where the power flickered on/off three times in about 2 seconds. This caused my 990 to lock up completely! Once the power came back and was stabilized I had to do a complete system reset after trying to simply unplug the unit for 5 minutes which didn't solve the problem. The complete reset of course meant I lost all of my settings and I had to go back through it all over again. Personally I would have paid $100 (the cost of the UPS)just to not have to do that!

In summary, I see it as a minimal investment that adds no additional noise to the system but adds a fair amount of protection. Of course that is just my opinion others may see it differently.
Emotiva XMC-1, Outlaw 7500, Sonus Faber Olympica III Fronts, SF Liuto Center, SF Surrounds, LFM-1 EX, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV (Gen. 4), Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP, Outlaw Cables, PS Audio Power Quintet, Duet and power cords.

#51450 - 09/01/07 07:54 PM Re: UUGH!! Clean Power for DLP
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Loc: NY
Belken PureAV PF60!
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Audio Note Dac 2.1 "B" signature
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

#51451 - 09/01/07 08:42 PM Re: UUGH!! Clean Power for DLP
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The Monster HTUPS500 looks to provide about 390W, which is probably just enough for a rear-projection TV and the 990. I wouldn't want to put anything else on it, so you'd still need some sort of protection for the other components (amp(s), sub(s), source components, ...). Having said that, $100 is certainly a reasonable enough price to pay for that.

#51452 - 09/02/07 02:05 PM Re: UUGH!! Clean Power for DLP
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
In most of my dealings with stores selling home hi def the sales people try to prey on peoples paranoia and "push" more equipment than the purchaser needs! I've been running a Mitsubishi DLP, Samsung LCD, Outlaw 990, Crown Amps for over a year without UPS without any problems.

The UPS is better as a preventer of lost data in a computer system than as a power back up for a TV! The only reason I could see to have a UPS supplying a HT system is to provide clean power from a "noisy" electrical system.

I do feel a form of surge suppression is more important for a HT system.

Just an opinion on my part. Jim

#51453 - 09/11/07 07:51 PM Re: UUGH!! Clean Power for DLP
phatlac Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the commentary and info everyone. I have tried TWO of the Monster units and both have failed. One did not power on, and the other did not charge after 72 hours of being plugged in. Must have come from a bad batch or something. Quality issues at Monster lately?

I will stick with what I know, Panamax Regeneration line of products. I too have a early version of the SAMSUNG DLP that has been plugged into more than one model of Panamax over the years. No issuses. I'll stay with this set up and leave the UPS talk for my computer room. The new DLP goes into a new Panamax.

Thanks again!

#51454 - 09/11/07 08:34 PM Re: UUGH!! Clean Power for DLP
charlie Offline
Desperado

I use an APC 800VA UPS to hold up my systems, including the display but not including the power amps. It works fine and APC gives $25000 damage insurance to equipment that the UPS is protecting.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts