#29878 - 10/27/05 05:07 PM Read me
Scott Offline
Desperado

Follow me

#29879 - 10/27/05 07:32 PM Re: Read me
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
that ipod input is not even right.that is the biggest turn off in a product i have been eagerly awaiting.call me petty but no way will i buy this now.killer looks,but...i just can't believe it's there.what a shame. frown i can handle the usb,though i probably would not use it as my 'puter has spdif which runs to the 1050 and there was to be no 'puter in the 2-ch room.

who,why,what.....it's retro,not ipod.i'm blown away.

guess the 1050 will continue handling 2-ch and everything else i throw at it.

#29880 - 10/27/05 08:22 PM Re: Read me
PodBoy Offline
Gunslinger

I'm confused at what has you so upset.

There is no "iPod input" as far as I can see. The front panel has an analog input for use with any portable audio product. Why is having a stereo mini-jack type input on the front panel for use with any analog source different from any other analog input? This is not a "direct" input from iPods as is found on some Pioneer Elite, Denon and Harman Kardon models, but even with those it is an analog, not digital input.

So what's the problem? If you don't want to use a connection, DON'T! Reminds me of an old vaudeville routine, where a patient moves his arm in a funny way and then says to the doctor, "Doctor, it HURTS when I do this!". The doctor responds, "Then DON'T DO IT!" Sounds right to me!

You raised the point, so I hope you won't be insulted if I say that seems as though you really are being a bit petty about this. Did you possibly consider ordering one and listening to it? If the unit sounds good, as it most likely will, why would you let this stand in the way of pure audio enjoyment? By not doing that you are denying yourself the chance to see -- or should I say HEAR -- what it is all about rather than dismissing it on the basis of something that, if you don't use it, should have absolutely NO IMPACT on the unit's performance.

You are right, the looks ARE killer and the sound ought to be awsome.

#29881 - 10/27/05 08:36 PM Re: Read me
painttoad Offline
Desperado

i got a message from scott, and i sent a reply.

yep,you are right.any portable device.i think it's cheesy.i think it's the wrong product to put this feature on.i thought this 'retro reciever' was aimed at 2-ch 'purist' not the 'portable device' generation!

sorry,my opinion.

#29882 - 10/27/05 08:38 PM Re: Read me
painttoad Offline
Desperado

and i'm not offended,nor do i want to offend any 'portable device' owners

#29883 - 10/27/05 08:43 PM Re: Read me
PodBoy Offline
Gunslinger

You're certainlly entitled to your opinion, no need to be sorry. No offence taken, and none meant from here.

However, I respectfully disagree. While they are calling it a "RetroReceiver", it is clearly positioned to be a mix of old and new, as evidenced by the USB port and all the bass management stuff. If anything, I would think THAT would get a two channel purist upset, but if I read your post correctly, curiously that doesn't bother you.

The jack is small, so it clearly doesn't detract from the appearance at all. I would enjoy being able to use a turntable on one hand, and plugging in an iPod on the other, when I'm too lazy. After all, how much worse can the sound from an iPod be than an old analog cassette deck?

I guess we just differ here, but I think you are worked up about something insignificant.

#29884 - 10/27/05 09:04 PM Re: Read me
painttoad Offline
Desperado

i am no purist,but do like quality.who knows maybe one day i'll pull the plug(then wipe egg off face).

i actually don't even want a reciever,i want a decent pre.as much as i like my 1050 i thought the 2150 would suit the bill,and it probably would.

oh well,'nuff said,you guys can talk about how great it will be and i'll read the reviews when they start comin' in.

joe

#29885 - 10/28/05 12:14 PM Re: Read me
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Outlaw announced the inclusion of a front analog input intended for use with portable devices back when they first announced the RR2150. It, the USB input, and the analog bass management are all features that are not historically present on stereo receivers. Part of the 2150's target market is people's secondary systems (since most people's central systems are moving or have already shifted to include video and surround), where you may find people quite happily using the front input. As PodBoy points out, it's not a large physical presence on the faceplate, and there's no acoustic "contamination" involved in having the input there. I see the front analog and rear USB inputs as features that will be ignored or rarely used by many buyers but will be appreciated by a few (and in some cases may even serve as the main reason for making the purchase). The analog bass management is probably a more important feature, and one that I'll be interested to hear more about.

I'm surprised you'd be looking to replace the 1050 with a 2150, painttoad - you've got a 5.1 system currently (at least the last I heard), while the 2150 is a purely two-channel unit (completely analog except for whatever DAC is tied in to the USB input).

#29886 - 10/28/05 01:39 PM Re: Read me
painttoad Offline
Desperado

gonk,i wouldn't replace the 1050(never ever),i want a 2 ch system for a pair of towers i'm in the planning stages of building.i also have my CAL transport,d/a converter& monarchy DIP that were to be hooked up and the vintage audiocontrol eq i just bought that's just itching for a processor loop.

i have calmed a bit,and may buy this thing at a later date.

jesse james didn't use a squirt gun.

click below to see my 'music on the go device' laugh (which i just finished painting it again(after the wreck) and should have back next week)

btw.as soon as my mdf gets cut(i have drivers/x-overs/etc.) i can build my new center,put the current center to the rear and have 6.1!

#29887 - 10/28/05 02:26 PM Re: Read me
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Ah, that makes sense... Separate setup... Look at it this way, perhaps (assuming the squirt gun analogy refers to a lossy audio source like MP3) - Jesse James didn't only use a squirt gun, but he might have used one to entertain himself from time to time. wink

Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts