Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#94691 - 01/15/15 09:34 PM Noisy USB port on desktop computer
Clarinet Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Florida
There is some noise coming from my desktop computer's USB port - more from the port directly on the back of the computer than through the self-powered USB hub, but still a nuisance on quiet passages.

I have confirmed that more noise is coming from the desktop computer than from the USB cable by trying a laptop. This resulted in about a 50% decrease in noise, but it was still there, which means that either most computers generate some noise, or the cable is partially to blame.

What solutions have you experienced to eliminate noise on the USB port? If I can't reasonably quiet the USB line from my computer, I will need to consider other sources to play my music files from.

Related: Has anyone wired their tablet, especially the Kindle Fire HDX into the USB in on the RR2150? I'm not sure if a usable USB digital signal comes out of the latest Kindle Fire HDX or not. What has been your experience with tablets as a source compared to a desktop computer as a source?

Edited by Clarinet (01/15/15 10:38 PM)

#94709 - 01/20/15 10:50 AM Re: Noisy USB port on desktop computer [Re: Clarinet]
Clarinet Offline
Gunslinger

Still no solutions to the USB noise problem. I will try this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LFVMC9U/ref=...=I1Q9C10RNUR2XG
If that doesn't cure the problem, I will address this through Outlaw.
I didn't expect to have to spend an extra $100 to cure a problem in a USB input that was supposed to improve the sound. Hmmm.

#94710 - 01/20/15 11:09 AM Re: Noisy USB port on desktop computer [Re: Clarinet]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Texas
I am not sure buying another component is going to solve your issue. You mention a self powered USB hub. What else do you have plugged into the hub? USB has current limitations and if I had to take a guess you have most likely found and exceeded the upper limit for your system. System quality is also a factor when it comes to noisy USB

I have an Intel board in my multimedia machine and found the onboard USB to be lacking. I would look at adding a proper USB card before anything else. Much cheaper with an opportunity to upgrade to USB 3 if you are not already there.

Edited by Stephen B (01/20/15 11:09 AM)

#94715 - 01/20/15 11:35 PM Re: Noisy USB port on desktop computer [Re: Stephen B]
Clarinet Offline
Gunslinger

I unplugged all other cords from the hub with no difference in result. Even though only around $20, a new USB card is "another new component." There is nothing in the literature of a number of new USB cards that claims they minimize or suppress or deal with noise any better than any other USB. How can I know that this would work any better than the card I am using? Is there something about newer USB cards that make them less prone to generate or transmit noise? What distinguishes "a proper" card from the one I have? How is that kind of card identified?

Edited by Clarinet (01/20/15 11:46 PM)

#94716 - 01/21/15 11:17 AM Re: Noisy USB port on desktop computer [Re: Clarinet]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Call Outlaw

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#94722 - 01/22/15 11:39 AM Re: Noisy USB port on desktop computer [Re: Clarinet]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Hello Clarinet. The idea behind unplugging everything except the USB cable in between the computer and the RR2150 is to eliminate as many items from the chain as possible. I have an old Kodak photo printer that will create a hum through the onboard USB every time it is powered on.

Any modern day USB 3.0 card requiring a connector from the power supply with be capable of running signals at a higher speed and carrying more current than the USB hub on the motherboard in your system. Even on multimedia boards the USB header will not be up to the same standards as a card built for the purpose. The audio chain can be a fragile thing so lets not connect it to the same power supply and signal path used by the printer and other peripherals when at all possible.

It is how I fixed a similar issue in my system. I was told by my geek to treat it like a ground loop hum

Am I allowed to name the card I used on the public forum?

XenonMan makes a great suggestion as well. I have spoken with Ben on several occasions and have found him to be knowledgeable and genuinely interested in helping.

Edited by Stephen B (01/22/15 02:16 PM)
Edit Reason: dyslexia

#94726 - 01/22/15 02:10 PM Re: Noisy USB port on desktop computer [Re: Clarinet]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I agree with Stephen B in that until you eliminate all the possible sources of the noise you can't fix the issue. Going directly from the laptop or PC via a good USB cable will allow you to decide if it is the computer, the cable or the 2150 usb port.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#94730 - 01/22/15 09:35 PM Re: Noisy USB port on desktop computer [Re: Clarinet]
Clarinet Offline
Gunslinger

Great idea to "unplug everything." But I've already done that. I've both unplugged all USB cables from the hub, as well as run the USB cable directly from the back of the computer with nothing else plugged into it. The USB noise was worse directly from the computer, even without anything else plugged into USB ports. The powered USB hub clears it up "some." The noise I get is not so much a "hum" but a low/mid frequency static sound on top of a slight hum.

Also, on my wireless trackball mouse, when I rotate the track ball I get an additional layer of mid-pitch static. When I move the scroll wheel and there is something to scroll on the screen, I get an added layer of low pitch hum. If I turn the scroll wheel and there is nothing to scroll, there is no additional noise. Fascinating, eh Scottie?

This is in addition to the noise constantly there.

Edited by Clarinet (01/22/15 09:57 PM)

#94731 - 01/23/15 09:15 AM Re: Noisy USB port on desktop computer [Re: Clarinet]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Fascinating indeed. We can run this down we just have to work by the numbers and it will get sorted.

Have you tried a different cable than the one you took from the desktop to your notebook? If you are right on the coast connectoritis is quite common and can occur both inside and outside the system unit. Check all of the connections carefully looking for any crud or corrosion.

Who made the trackball and how does it connect to your system unit? You said wireless so I am guessing it connects via USB? Have you tried unplugging the trackball while playing music? If the trackball can add noise does unplugging it while listening to music reduce the noise? Do you carry the trackball between your desktop and notebook? If the only thing moving between your desktop and notebook was the USB cable then lets please set that one aside while we troubleshoot the issue.

Here are a few general questions but we might as well try to cover everything.

I forgot to ask earlier, PC or Mac? If running Windows which version?

How is your desktop unit connected to the wall outlet? any surge suppression or battery back-up? (any major electrical storms or power outages lately) What else is plugged in through the same outlet? How do you connect to the internet?

What is connected to the computer and how does it connect? Are you using all factory cables or have you switched any of them for some reason?

Has anyone worked on the computer requiring the case to be opened? If so what service was performed?

I know it is a bunch of questions but we should be able to narrow it down quickly.

#94733 - 01/23/15 05:37 PM Re: Noisy USB port on desktop computer [Re: Stephen B]
Clarinet Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: Stephen B
Fascinating indeed. We can run this down we just have to work by the numbers and it will get sorted.

Have you tried a different cable than the one you took from the desktop to your notebook? If you are right on the coast connectoritis is quite common and can occur both inside and outside the system unit. Check all of the connections carefully looking for any crud or corrosion.

I used the same cable to compare the notebook and the desktop.

Who made the trackball and how does it connect to your system unit?

Logitech connected to a USB via a dongle. No difference in noise level with and without the dongle plugged in.

You said wireless so I am guessing it connects via USB?

Yes. And I unplugged that and all other USBs and noise did not change.

Have you tried unplugging the trackball while playing music?

Yes. No change, with and without playing music.

If the trackball can add noise does unplugging it while listening to music reduce the noise?
No, no change.

Do you carry the trackball between your desktop and notebook?

No.

If the only thing moving between your desktop and notebook was the USB cable then lets please set that one aside while we troubleshoot the issue.

Here are a few general questions but we might as well try to cover everything.

I forgot to ask earlier, PC or Mac? If running Windows which version?

PC, Windows 7

How is your desktop unit connected to the wall outlet? any surge suppression or battery back-up? (any major electrical storms or power outages lately)

PC connected through the "surge only" side of a large APC UPS along with the Outlaw amp. Previously I powered the amp from a smaller surge suppressor to see if there was any change in the mechanical noise in the amp from the toroidal transformer. No change in either the transformer buzz or the USB noise between the two.

What else is plugged in through the same outlet?

Nothing else.

How do you connect to the internet?

DSL via Century Link Prism router.

What is connected to the computer and how does it connect? Are you using all factory cables or have you switched any of them for some reason?

A Davis Instruments weather station is plugged into the computer as well as the APC USB, and a TV used as a monitor. There was no change when I unplugged all USBs.

Has anyone worked on the computer requiring the case to be opened? If so what service was performed?
Only me. I replaced an optical drive and added an AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series video card.

I know it is a bunch of questions but we should be able to narrow it down quickly.

I have ordered the Schiit Wyrd Decrapifier. If that solves the problem without spending more hours of troubleshooting it will be well worthwhile. If not, I'll return it. I should get it by Jan 7 and have more info mid-week.

Question: Should the USB "in" be totally quiet even with the volume control on the RR2150 cranked up 25% or beyond without music playing? 25%+/- volume setting is when I begin hearing the USB noise.

Edited by Clarinet (01/23/15 05:53 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts