Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#83172 - 03/31/10 11:20 AM buying a 2150
cetb Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Looking to invest in a decent two channel system. I'm plucking pieces from different manufacturers on line and came up with the following:

outlaw 2150 receiver
oppo s/e blue ray player to play cd's
orb classic 2 speakers with sub

I'm wondering what people who know more about audio than I do think about the above and whether there are other suggestions you may have.

thanks

#83175 - 03/31/10 05:49 PM Re: buying a 2150 [Re: cetb]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I haven't ever heard the Orb speakers, but I will say this: your plan is very close to what my long-term plan is for my own living room stereo system. I've already got the RR2150, and I plan to eventually replace the OPPO Digital 980H with the BDP-83SE as a stereo source (for CD, DVD, DVD-A, SACD, and BD). Speakers will get an upgrade, too, but I'm not sure what I'll do there.

One thing you might consider: if you pick up a small and inexpensive display (maybe something like a 7" LCD), you could have access to the BDP-83SE's on-screen information and could then easily use it with any disc format the player supports. It doesn't have to be fancy, as all you need is a composite video connection to be able to see the menus. CD and SACD are easy without a display, but player setup is going to need a display and once you have one in place permanently you can easily enjoy other music options like DVD-Audio, DVD and Blu-ray music discs (concerts, etc.), and even MP3 files stored on CD-R, DVD-R, USB, or a file server (although that last one will require a DLNA-compatible file server and a network connection to the player).

#83177 - 03/31/10 07:35 PM Re: buying a 2150 [Re: gonk]
ndskurfer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND
Great decision on the receiver and player.

I have owned the classic 2 orbs with sub and paired them with an rr2150. My thoughts on the Orbs: ok if you are looking for sat's and are limited on what you can place out in the room. Orbs are nice, but they will definately be the weekest link in your proposed system. I believe the recommended crossover is 120 hz, making it very easy to localize the sub.

I had the orbs in my system for roughly 6 months and am now running in-wall's (Def Tech uiw65). Which I prefer even without a sub (although missing all below 70hz), but will likely get an Outlaw LFM-1 Compact sub eventually. Ideally I would be running bookshelf speakers, but it is in the living room and my wife is the primary user - she prefers not seeing the speakers.

Edited by ndskurfer (03/31/10 07:36 PM)

#83186 - 04/01/10 12:07 PM Re: buying a 2150 [Re: ndskurfer]
cetb Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

thanks for the input. I at least know that I'm on the right track. Really hoped the orbs would work BUT not tied to them. Nice to get feedback from those who have the equipment. Any ideas about decent speakers for the price of the orbs (about $700 - $800)? They are going in the living room as well and I'm not sure how my wife will take to the idea of towers so they may have to be bookshelf on stands.
Thanks for the tip on a small display, it would not have occured to me until after.

#83188 - 04/02/10 05:47 AM Re: buying a 2150 [Re: cetb]
fdxsteve Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: rhode island
I also have a set of Orb Audio mod 2's. The 886 Audessy set the crossovers at 150 for the Orbs. I have two Uber 10 inch subs and DefTech Mythos One's as my fronts. The Orbs fill out my 7.1 setup. All in all my system sounds great as a surround sound unit and as a stereo sys I finally tweaked it to sound the way I want it to. I tried other center channel speakers and found the Orbs to better present dialogue than the more popular larger ctr channel speakers. My wife wears 2 hearing aids and the Orbs were the only ctr channel speakers she could hear clearly. There seemed to be too much low frequency sound from the ctr for our taste. The Orbs were not my first choice but when my wife saw the copper Orbs she had to have them. I knew then that these speakers would sound great because they looked real good with the home decor. Such is life.
SAMSUNG 5265/ ONKYO PRO PR-SC886/ FRONT SPEAKERS DEF TECH MYTHOS 1'S/ CENTER DEF TECH MYTHOS 9/ SURROUNDS ENERGY C20'S/ OPPO BDP-83/ OUTLAW 7700 POWER AMP/ VERIZON HI DEF DVR.TWO UBER 10 INCH SUBS FROM ORB AUDIO

#83208 - 04/03/10 12:02 PM Re: buying a 2150 [Re: fdxsteve]
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Well, I have an Orb Audio Super Eight subwoofer in my RR2150-driven two-channel system. I'm quite pleased with it. I have the sub paired with cosmetically-pleasing NHT Classic Three speakers in glossy piano-black, but unfortunately, NHT is no longer in the speaker business, so they're not available any longer. It's too bad, because I think they sound amazing with the RR2150.

#83211 - 04/03/10 02:33 PM Re: buying a 2150 [Re: tru blu]
gdawg55 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I just bought a Yamaha av receiver and may be looking to sell my RR2150 if you're interested. It's in "like new" condition and is a great overall 2-channel unit.

#83215 - 04/03/10 09:57 PM Re: buying a 2150 [Re: gdawg55]
ndskurfer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND
tru blu -

NHT is back! They shut down for a few months and are now selling direct. They actually just made some new product announcements as well. I love the classic 3's, ended up buying their in-wall 3's thinking of putting them in my living room, but I had some odd stud spacing where i wanted to place it. The in-wall 3's are now in my storage room, never been hooked up.

#83219 - 04/03/10 10:52 PM Re: buying a 2150 [Re: ndskurfer]
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Well, well…just checked the NHT site for the first time in months and, yes, it seems they're back in bidness. That's good news. And in that case, I'd say cetb should go over to nhthifi.com and let his wife have a look at the Classic Three bookshelves. They're in the price range he cited. My wife thinks they're pretty easy on the eyes, but to be honest, ours are somewhat hidden. Anyway, thanx for the info, ndskurfer!

#83234 - 04/06/10 10:09 AM Re: buying a 2150 [Re: tru blu]
cetb Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

thanks everyone, heading over to nhthifi.com now!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 94 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts