Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#31947 - 04/28/08 12:39 PM Need Advice on a new system based on RR 2150
maweiss Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
HI!

My wife and I are moving from a 450 sq foot condo to a real house and I am finally indulging a dream to get a real hi fi audio system. Based on reviews here and there, I've decided to center it around the RR 2150. For speakers and cds, here is where I am at right now:

Aperion 6t speakers - http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/NEW-Intimus-6T-Tower-Speaker,110,28,254.aspx

Cambridge Audio Azur 340 c cd player - http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/NEW-Intimus-6T-Tower-Speaker,110,28,254.aspx

This will put me a little over budget, but if the quality requires that, I guess it is okay - I really liked the Aperion 633s, but since we are going to be buying in August, they will probably be history by then.

This will be for an L shaped dining room and living room, with the system set up in the corner (unless that is a bad idea?). We listen to mostly jazz, classical, and world (African, Argentinian, and Brazilian music).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Marty

#31948 - 04/28/08 06:01 PM Re: Need Advice on a new system based on RR 2150
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
maweiss,
congrats on the home!
I like your approach.
Just to throw in another point of view....
For 2 channel - i would look into a book shelf-sub combo.
Specifically, find a book shelf that does well in the mids.... something like the B&W 685 (~$600). There would be money left over to pick up an outlaw sub and cables.

This sytem would cover everything, plus a nice starting point for surround sound w/ a sub.

Let us know where you end up....

#31949 - 04/28/08 07:21 PM Re: Need Advice on a new system based on RR 2150
maweiss Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thank you for the advice and the good wishes!!! I had actually started looking at bookshelf speakers, but since this is going in our living room -- I think my wife would rather me spend more on tower speakers than get bookshelf speakers and metal stands!!

On speakers, any thoughts between the Aperion 5 and 6 series? Given the $400 difference between the two, I would like to go with the 5 series if I can.

#31950 - 04/28/08 09:13 PM Re: Need Advice on a new system based on RR 2150
Washburn Offline
Gunslinger

I think you'll benefit more from a good bookshelf/sub combo which will give you a more complete prsentation over the towers, and you'll make use out of a great feature the RR2150 has: bass mgmt!.
stands are not that expensive.

#31951 - 04/28/08 11:21 PM Re: Need Advice on a new system based on RR 2150
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Congrats on the new home, Maweiss, and welcome to the forum. Is there some way you could "hide" bookshelf speakers and a sub in your furniture scheme? I know your wife gets final approval (like mine and everybody else's does), but you might end up spending considerably less for a bang-up system that really does the music you listen to (genre-wise, we seem to have kinda similar tastes) proud.

#31952 - 04/29/08 02:18 AM Re: Need Advice on a new system based on RR 2150
maweiss Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Tru Blu - I'm excited. Do you also like the B & W 685? Anything else I should consider? Can bookshelf speakers deliver really quality sound over a floorstander if they are placed on a bookshelf and not on stands?

#31953 - 04/29/08 02:51 AM Re: Need Advice on a new system based on RR 2150
William Kasimer Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Sharon, MA
I don't know the Aperions at all, but if you can find a local Dali dealer, their floorstanding Ikons sound terrific with the RR2150, particularly on classical and jazz. I picked up a demo pair of Ikon 6's for about the same money that you're considering.

Good luck with the house. When we moved into our first house 20 years ago, I did the same thing and bought the nicest floorstanders I could afford - a pair of Thiel 1.2's - and they're still my main speakers.

Bill

#31954 - 04/29/08 03:35 AM Re: Need Advice on a new system based on RR 2150
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I don't know the Aperions, either, Maweiss, but the bookshelves I ended up purchasing, NHT Classic Threes, compare favorably with the B&W 685s. Several other people on the forum have had good results pairing the NHTs with the RR2150, but unlike me, most use them in second systems. The combo is my primary. No harm in splashing on something a bit more lavish if you can afford it, but since it seems like you have a bit of time before you move in, auditioning prospective speakers might be a good way to make a decision.

#31955 - 04/29/08 03:47 AM Re: Need Advice on a new system based on RR 2150
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
maweiss,
The furniture 'hide' can work. Me, I'm a believer in letting the speaker have space to work - let them image. There are stands that look really nice. Stands under good sounding book shelf take up no more space than towers. But ultimately you and your better half have to live w/ the system.

I recommended the 685 because i have listened to them several months ago. I was listening to jazz – classical, etc. nice, nice – big - dynamic sound. I recommended them to my dad.
Personal - i did not care for Axioms M22's or small Aperions (4b or 5b). Really lack mid range and it shows on brass and drums/percussion.
Paradigm studio 20's or 40's could work – more neutral than B&W’s but very dynamic and image like crazy. Ascend Acoustics: Sierra-1 get good press, nice finish – but I have never listened to them. I hear them mentioned here in the saloon.

These are just some selection.... i know i missed several others that would fit your listening pallet and buget.

LFM-1 Plus is a killer sub.

Just my 2 cents…..

#31956 - 04/29/08 04:34 AM Re: Need Advice on a new system based on RR 2150
mookdoc6 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Antioch Il
Bookshelf and sub combo is the only way to go with the r2150! Keep the big towers for the movie room or some other crap hole. Paradigm SAts and and sub my man!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 93 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts