Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#23205 - 02/16/04 07:56 PM Digital Coax and Audio RCA, what is the difference?
NYC-EMT Offline
Gunslinger

My older brother gave me a pair of Monster Digital Coax cables. I was going to use them as Audio interconnects between my stereo preamp and a pair of M200s which I hope to purchase soon.
http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=150

Can someone explain the difference between Audio RCA interconnects like the ones you would use to connect a CD, Tuner, or Tape player to a preamplifier or receiver and a Digital Coax interconnect (like the one mentioned above) that you would use to connect the digital out on a CD player to a DAC?

Can Audio RCA ICs and Digital Coax ICs be interchanged? If not why? If I cannot use them for the purpose I would like what else can I use them for?

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by NYC-EMT (edited February 16, 2004).]

#23206 - 02/16/04 08:00 PM Re: Digital Coax and Audio RCA, what is the difference?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
DigitaL coax has wider bandwidth and characteristic impedance suitable to the S/PDIF digital circuitry. Auido coax may or may not. You can safely use digital coax for audio but not necessairly vice versa. The interconnects in my DIY project are suitable for both uses in addition to component video.

#23207 - 02/17/04 03:46 PM Re: Digital Coax and Audio RCA, what is the difference?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
a digital coaxial cable has different resistance to a typical analog audio cable. a digital coaxial cable is more similar to a video cable than an audio cable really. i think it would work if you used digital coax in place of analog, but im sure its not ideal! i have a plan for them though, put them up on ebay and go buy yourself (or make, there you go sh) some proper cables.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 153 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts