Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#57020 - 01/04/06 11:26 AM Re: 990 Bass Mangement Update
braidkid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: WA
Capt, may I ask why you are so concerned with no bass management through 2 channel analog inputs? Do you use these inputs?

As Scott states, it is possible to integrate a subwoofer via analog connection by activating the crossover on your sub.

BTW, there is bass management via 7.1 bypass. The only place I've found no bass management is through 2 channel analog inputs.
Denon DVD-2910
M&K LCR750
M&K Surround-55 tripole
Dual M&K VX-1250
Outlaw PCAs
Blue Jeans Component and HDMI
Panamax 5500

#57021 - 01/04/06 11:45 AM Re: 990 Bass Mangement Update
The Capt Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wisconsin
Braidkid

Sure you can ask, no problem. I still prefer the sound of analog and want to continue using my Adcom cd player (no digital out). I love the way it sounds.

As far as using the crossover in my sub...yeah that is a possibility. But I don't want to have to flip the switch every time I change from a digital to analog source. Which, as I understand it, if the digital input bass management is working properly I would have to do.
Pioneer DV578A (SACD,DVD-A)
Monster HT3500MKII
X Box, Samsung HLN-4667W
Energy C-9 (mains)
Energy C-C1 (center)
Proficient C645 (surr)
Hsu VTF2MKII Sub

#57022 - 01/04/06 12:41 PM Re: 990 Bass Mangement Update
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Sounds like the ICBM may still be the best option for pure analog listening with proper bass management.

#57023 - 01/04/06 01:10 PM Re: 990 Bass Mangement Update
The Capt Offline
Gunslinger

It is worth noting that Outlaw tech support actually started to recommend to me installing my old ICBM to solve some of these problems.

I say started to recommend....then they reconsidered. wink for some reason.

While I am at it, I guess I could just get another pre/pro with 7.1 pre outs and use its bass management with the signal fed to the 990.
Monster HT3500MKII
X Box, Samsung HLN-4667W
Energy C-9 (mains)
Energy C-C1 (center)
Proficient C645 (surr)
Hsu VTF2MKII Sub

#57024 - 01/04/06 01:47 PM Re: 990 Bass Mangement Update
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
Capt,

Couldn't you do as Braidkid pointed out and plug the CD player into the 7.1 input (this should provide bass management provided you are not using the 7.1 input for something else)? I use a digital connection from my cheapo Denon CD player and let the DACs in the 990 do the work so I have not tested this myself.

#57025 - 01/06/06 03:29 AM Re: 990 Bass Mangement Update
TheNetGuy Offline
Gunslinger

What i dont understand here is the fact that There is PROBLEMS with the outlaw 990 and it seems that outlaw people are only interestes in telling us what works instead of confirming the problems.

Scott keeps saying in stereo Bypass mode...

This has nothing to do with Bypass mode, The Capt was reffering to NOT in the bypass mode.

THUS this IS a verified bug as they are not Denying it. They are just 'running around thse issue' like a politition.

Also I cannot understand people responses as 'why do you even use the analog' etc. These people are just admiting that there is problems and You just have to live with a product that does not do what it is suppose to do.

Or worse, people thing everyone has to have the same setup and use the processor the same way, If this was the case then why offer other configurations to begin with.

As it stand i will be returning my unit as well, and I will be informing others if i dont even get a simple confirmation of the errors i posted in an earlier post.

#57026 - 01/06/06 07:40 AM Re: 990 Bass Mangement Update
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I think that some 990 owners have found that in their case they are using nothing but digital input, which is probably where the comment "why use analog" comes from - for them, it didn't provide a benefit. Heck, until I hooked up the SMS-1 recently I didn't really have any analog sources to think about.

As I understand it, Outlaw is fully aware of the bug in the bass management and is working on both a software fix and some sort of official summary of exactly what is currently going on with the 990's bass management. As I mentioned in another thread recently, I contacted Outlaw directly earlier this week to try to put together a summary of how the bass management was designed (which as you have discovered gets complex when you try to look at all scenarios) to help everybody around here understand what is going on. I was told that an official statement was going to be more appropriate (something that would more clearly run down the issue rather than add to the "running around"). Based on that, I feel comfortable saying that they are actively working on this issue and plan to give all of us exactly the sort of confirmation/summary you are looking for.

#57027 - 01/06/06 09:24 AM Re: 990 Bass Mangement Update
The Capt Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk,

From reading your posts, I have the utmost respect for your knowledge and willingness to help other Outlaws. Heck, I think you have even helped me a time or two.

But the issue is not really a defective unit or how the bass management is "supposed" to work. That will be Outlaws problem in the near future. MY issue is that I am under the 30 day timer. I know there is a problem with my 990, and I really want to keep the unit. When I called Outlaw tech support they WOULD NOT ADMIT THERE WAS A SINGLE PROBLEM. They immediately closed the service ticket and sent me the response that I posted above..."the 990's bass managment works as designed". In talking with tech support, I tried to explain the full range sub signal in Stereo and Upsample and what I got in return was stock answers read off the computer screen about how the unit was SUPPOSED to work. It is very hard to bring problems to light when the tech people are committed to thinking only about how it is supposed to work. I am telling you how it DOES work...and there are some notable differences.

My request is simple. Acknowledge (i.e TEST the thing) that a problem exists. State, in writing, a committment to providing an acceptable fix. Lastly, provide even a rough timetable for the fix.

I get those....and my unit stays with me and Outlaw keeps my money. I don't, and the unit goes back next week.
Monster HT3500MKII
X Box, Samsung HLN-4667W
Energy C-9 (mains)
Energy C-C1 (center)
Proficient C645 (surr)
Hsu VTF2MKII Sub

#57028 - 01/06/06 09:44 AM Re: 990 Bass Mangement Update
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
My request is simple. Acknowledge (i.e TEST the thing) that a problem exists. State, in writing, a committment to providing an acceptable fix. Lastly, provide even a rough timetable for the fix.
I agree that this request is reasonable, and I'm optimistic that something along these lines is pending. Some of the senior management may be away at CES (there's no official Outlaw presence, but I suspect some folks are probably there in research mode), so they may have to wait until next week to get an official response reviewed, but I trust that Outlaw will dig into it properly and fix you up. My faith alone may not be enough to keep you happy, though, and that's what the 30-day return window is there for.

#57029 - 01/06/06 11:40 AM Re: 990 Bass Mangement Update
Scott Offline
Desperado

As announced previously, we have been and continue to work with the software engineers at Etronics to provide an extensive software update for the Model 990. These things simply do not happen overnight. However, we truly appreciate the time and effort of those users who have experienced these bugs as well as the patience they’ve exhibited while we worked to resolve them. Unfortunately, the nature of this thread and the frustration experienced by some of these users has forced us to make the following announcement sooner (and thus somewhat less detailed) than we would have liked.

While it is true that some bug fixes can be implemented quickly (such as we were able to provide in the past on the Model 970/1070 platform) others, due to increased complexity, just take longer. In the case of the Model 990, its early adopters made a handful of requests for feature additions and modifications. Couple this with some bass management anomalies, continued research towards an acceptable, high performance implementation of Auto EQ and a lengthy test and retest process and you can image the time to release is long.

While we don't know how long the testing will take, an update will be forthcoming. These anomalies will be addressed via a downloadable software fix. Like all software fixes, extensive field-testing will insure that other unanticipated problems do not crop up. What we will not do is rush a fix to market that is NOT RIGHT.

For the time being, there’s a very simple work around to receiving a full range sub signal in stereo or upsample mode with an analog input signal: activate your sub’s crossover. For many people with subwoofers like the LFM-1 or LFM-2 the sub x-over can remain in bypass, as its high frequency roll off is already quite steep.

We appreciate your patience and ask that you hang in there just a bit longer as we believe the update will add a level of refinement unrivaled in the Model 990’s category. These fixes are coming, and as we have demonstrated in the past, we will not leave our customers hanging. The above notwithstanding, we are sorry that we have not been more communicative along the way. Often we must walk the fine line between providing accurate/factual updates while at the same time avoid creating unreasonable timing expectations. We were wrong to close the communication lines on this and wish to reassure you that we are hard at work morning and night on two separate continents to resolve these issues for you as quickly as possible.

Best Regards,

Scott

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts