Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#18498 - 06/10/09 11:00 PM My OPPO
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
I received my new OPPO BDP83 this Saturday smile but did not have a chance to introduce it to the rest of it's new family.
Excited I was. smile laugh
I just sold my Sony BDP S550 on e-bay in literaly the last few minutes of the auction. I had it listed at a reasonable price of $250.00 with FREE SHIPPING. I still cannot believe how long into the bid that it took to sell. In any event that story is over and a new one has begun with the OPPO.
First I was really impressed with the packing. eek Tight. The player itself was also in a black bag that ressemble a carrying bag for a laptop. The instruction manual is made very well resembleing a hardback book rather a cheap paperback that one is use too.
The remote is fantastic. cool A well light for all of the keys. The keys themselves are a deceit size. The 550 did have a light but not for all of the keys. It became irratating using that remote. mad
The player itself is very well made. Pretty good looking also.
Tuesday I did have the chance to sort of plug and play and was very impressed with the picture and I had not been in the setup menu.
Today I was able and ready to dive into the manual and the setup menu.
I am not much for tech talk or jargon. Sometimes intimadated by the likes, so when I say that it was easy...IT WAS REALLY EASY. wink I read the manual first. Scanning over most items since I was familiar with other players. The manual was easy reading which made the setup simple.
I set the speaker configurations to small, sub on. All trim setting are set to 0 and likewise the distance settings for the speakers.
The video adjustments that I made were minor.
The Sony 550 was always on the dark side no matter what settings.
The OPPO is quick loading and quiet and fast.
I set the contrast on the OPPO at +2 and the brightness at +2. The result was exactly what I was looking for. I was watching and listening to ELO-ZOOM DVD. Beautiful picture. Terrific audio...awesome audio...awesome picture. The best part about this I thought was that it was NOT a blu-ray disc. Without delay after the concert I slipped in King Kong.(Blu-Ray)
Need I say how pleased I am with my purchase. Absolutely. I am estatic.

I lost money on the Sony 550. Stupid me. Spent a pretty penny on the OPPO but I cannot say enough about this product.
If you are thinking confused about pulling the trigger on the OPPO BDP 83...Just do it. You won't be dissappointed.

Now I will have to update my pics.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#18499 - 06/14/09 06:06 AM Re: My OPPO
TooManyHobbies Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: XXX
There's a few other posts on this site regarding the BDP-83, all or mostly excellent. My wife and I are thrilled with ours. We've had it about a month. The first few disks we watched were standard DVDs upconverted to 1080p. After watching a standard DVD on a 52" screen in native resolution, the BDP-83 upconversion was a real joy. Now that we have our Netflix subscription switched over to Blu-Ray, we've had an opportunity to watch several Blu-Ray titles. The BDP-83 is an awesome player. I haven't hooked up the 7.1 analog to our 990, so we haven't experienced TrueHD audio yet, but the DD 5.1 audio has not been disappointing. Every aspect of the BDP-83 we've tried so far has been a pleasure to use. My middle-aged eyes even like the bigger buttons on the remote.

Bill

Who's Online
0 registered (), 319 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM