Firmware feature 7.1 Bypass - Please Add.

Posted by: fireanimal

Firmware feature 7.1 Bypass - Please Add. - 04/30/08 04:35 PM

Just wondering if possible to please add a 7.1 bypass modes, while still applying bass management to all other inputs. I would like to control the delays and bass management on my source and only use the 990 for volume control, and to remove a unnecessary conversion.

Thanks.
Posted by: gonk

Re: Firmware feature 7.1 Bypass - Please Add. - 04/30/08 05:44 PM

It's been asked about before, and I think that it would be a good feature for inclusion, but past discussion indicated that there were obstacles preventing this from being done. Having said that, we can still hope that this is something that can be re-visited...
Posted by: wolverine

Re: Firmware feature 7.1 Bypass - Please Add. - 04/30/08 05:47 PM

Yes, I second this motion!

Re: Firmware feature 7.1 Bypass - Please Add. - 04/30/08 07:54 PM

Another quick question Gonk. Do you know if the LFE signal is being rolled off at the crossover range, or if it extends to 120hz as per Dolby specs??

Some processors roll it off at the same frequency that the crossover is set at, so for example if you have a low crossover 40hz, you would be losing out on the upper LFE info that should be going to the sub.

Thanks.
Posted by: gonk

Re: Firmware feature 7.1 Bypass - Please Add. - 04/30/08 08:36 PM

The 990's adjustable crossovers do not impact the LFE channel.
Posted by: jrlouie

Re: Firmware feature 7.1 Bypass - Please Add. - 05/01/08 03:01 AM

Please see this post...
LFE Channel

Re: Firmware feature 7.1 Bypass - Please Add. - 05/01/08 09:53 PM

So I am getting mixed comments on this, I will have to test this and run frequency sweeps through the LFE jack at different crossovers, and see what happens.
Posted by: Lee Bailey

Re: Firmware feature 7.1 Bypass - Please Add. - 05/02/08 12:21 AM

LFE information from Dolby Digital will be sent to any speaker that is set to Large per the DD spec. In essence, there is no 'LFE' jack. Just a subwoofer jack.

Some docs at the Dolby.com site: Dolby Digital 5.1 Channel Production Guidelines

Here's more about the LFE Channel:
What is the LFE Channel?

Re: Firmware feature 7.1 Bypass - Please Add. - 05/02/08 11:03 AM

I know what LFE channel is. I can input a test signal into the 7.1 Sub jack, which is the same as the LFE channel. The 990 should roll off the signal at 120hz no matter what crossover is set for the mains. As well is should also be applying the 10db boost, and I know that it is doing that.

Re: Firmware feature 7.1 Bypass - Please Add. - 05/02/08 06:53 PM

Okay so I tested the subwoofer in jack on the 990, and it is filtering the LFE channel at whatever the lowest crossover is. So if you have your mains and sub crossing at 40hz the LFE is also being filtered at 40hz, and not 120hz as it is supposed to be.

The worst part is if you have Mains set to Large and Sub on LFE only, it is being sent a full range signal right up to 20khz, instead of filtering at 120hz.

This is a serious problem that should be addressed in a firmware update, as the 990's bass management is flawed.
Posted by: meatbag

Re: Firmware feature 7.1 Bypass - Please Add. - 05/09/08 01:18 PM

Wow another let down from Outlaws programmers.

Re: Firmware feature 7.1 Bypass - Please Add. - 07/14/08 01:57 AM

Has this issue been resolved with the new firmware update??
Posted by: jrlouie

Re: Firmware feature 7.1 Bypass - Please Add. - 07/14/08 02:48 AM

From what I can see, yes, it appears as though with the firmware update the 990 no longer rolls off the LFE channel. I likey.