Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#14248 - 11/11/04 04:50 PM DEF TECH - BP2000 - How do YOU wire??????
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Redwood City, Ca USA
I have asked this question before, and never recieved an answer....do you Def Tech owners (with built in powered subs) use the speakers wired direct, or use the subwoofer "full range low level input" by splitting FL/FR output with a "Y", using a subwoofer cable going to the speakers subwoofer inputs ( used as full range speakers with Sub switched off) or,..... do you use the Sub output split with a "Y" going to both subwoofer inputs???? (Stereo or mono subwoofers???)
I am using the "stereo" Sub wiring option, and am quite happy with the sound..with Outlaw 950 and 755 amp it is a real "lease-breaker" laugh !!! Just wondering if others have tried using the Sub out and splitting for a two subwoofer "mono" approach....
Hope this makes sense......Chet at Def Tech recommended the "stereo" sub approach rather than wired direct or using Sub output......anyone have any input or ideas????? smile

#14249 - 11/11/04 05:00 PM Re: DEF TECH - BP2000 - How do YOU wire??????
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
my center speaker has built in subs and what i do, having the channel set to large, is output an ic from the center pre-out and connect it to the center speaker. run speaker wires from the center output terminals to the high input on the center channel. i have removed the jumper between the lower and upper terminals on the speaker.

this setup would work best when wanting to tie any bass (well mid-bass in my example) in a channel to that specific point. better for surround sound presumably.

in your application what you would do is run the front r/l preouts to the main speakers using an ic (may or may not remove any jumper depending on def techs instructions), and have the speakers set to large. this would give you NO LFE though, unless you have a seperate sub.

if you wanted LFE coming from the front speakers, then you would split the sub pre-out and run it to each front speaker.

if you have a seperate sub, then i would use the front r/l preouts for bass for those channels, if not, then i would split the sub preout.

hope that answers your question, eventhough i am not a def tech owner, the principles are all the same for any powered sub in a speaker.

#14250 - 11/11/04 05:23 PM Re: DEF TECH - BP2000 - How do YOU wire??????
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Couple of thoughts from someone with mains that lack a built-in sub... Do you have a dedicated LFE sub? If not, does your system include a DVD-Audio or SACD player?

I ask because it would be fairly reasonable for a system with no dedicated subwoofer to set the sub to "off" and the mains to large, then split each pre-amp output to feed both the amp and the main speaker's sub - this would deliver essentially a full-range signal to each main, plus it would mix the LFE track into the mains (and thereby the subs). On the other hand, doing this would also require you to be able to mix the LFE channel in the the mains at the player for DVD-Audio and SACD - otherwise the LFE signal stays in the LFE channel and ends up going to the nonexistent dedicated subwoofer.

#14251 - 11/11/04 07:06 PM Re: DEF TECH - BP2000 - How do YOU wire??????
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

WOW!! A whole new problem!! I do have a DVD-Audio player - a Denon DVD3800....although I hardly use it for DVD-Audio....(only have a couple DVD-Audio discs....) and never even thought that I would be missing any signal below 80Hz...........
Leave it to Gonk to thoroughly think this stuff out......now I don't know what to do about fixing the DVD-Audio LFE....or how to remedy this slight oversight on my part........would the ICBM help??? Thank goodness I almost exclusively watch movies, and haven't invested much in DVD-Audio...( both Grateful Dead DVD-Audio discs, and Queens "The Game" are all I own)
Seems SACD is where multi channel music is headed anyway....the lack of new releases on DVD-Audio is pretty sad.....
Well, on to the next dilemma........

#14252 - 11/11/04 08:28 PM Re: DEF TECH - BP2000 - How do YOU wire??????
gonk Offline
Desperado

As a matter of fact, the ICBM would be able to redirect LFE into the mains, which would let you stay with your current system and not lose anything.

#14253 - 11/19/04 12:44 PM Re: DEF TECH - BP2000 - How do YOU wire??????
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Just received a note from Steve at Outlaw saying that if I set my DVD Player to all speakers "large" and subwoofer to "off", the subwoofers output in the DVD players .1 LFE would be directed to the front speakers. I would also turn off the 950's bass management to allow for full range speakers, which would allow playback of 5.1 hi-rez material and still maintain stereo subwoofers......
I have it set up this way, and this is what I originally believed would happen....and really never noticed any loss of the low end when playing my few DVD-Audio discs.....
but,
it's just that Gonk, who's opinion I totally respect, and is one of the smartest and most logical contributors in these forums going, really got me to wondering about the 5.1 playback....
has ANYONE else run up against this problem/solution????

#14254 - 11/19/04 12:53 PM Re: DEF TECH - BP2000 - How do YOU wire??????
gonk Offline
Desperado

It depends on the DVD player. Steve looks to be right on target, but his solution works because the Denon 3800 actually applies bass management to the DVD-Audio analog output. A number of newer players are finally doing this fairly consistently, but many older players (such as the DVD-Audio player I just recently replaced) are not so smart, and I did encounter a loss of bass with my old player prior to adding a subwoofer to my system - which makes me particularly sensitive to the problem.

#14255 - 11/19/04 01:39 PM Re: DEF TECH - BP2000 - How do YOU wire??????
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

GONK, if Outlaw was smart, they would put you on their payroll.....you are so helpful, and so nice to take the time to help all of us out.....
I'm serious......you should get paid for your role on these forums......
....there is always alot of interesting and helpful information in these forums, but your contributions are always the most sensible, and always cut to the chase.......
OUTLAW, these forums, and GONK really add to the enjoyment of my Outlaw products, and my Home Theater.....
This is the best Home Theater Forum going!!!!

#14256 - 11/20/04 11:26 AM Re: DEF TECH - BP2000 - How do YOU wire??????
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
maybe he already is on the payroll!

#14257 - 11/20/04 02:42 PM Re: DEF TECH - BP2000 - How do YOU wire??????
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
If Outlaw was business smart, they would keep things as they are with gonk because of the enormous tech support he already gives for free. :p They'd pay him if they thought they could get a more substantial return by him giving out more and better answers, if that were possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts