Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#53308 - 05/15/05 09:14 AM Anybody want to offer some user feedback for the folks in line?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Anybody want to offer some user feedback for the folks in line? The nimber of units that have found their ways to equipment racks is starting to climb, after all.

I'll even start this up - I spent way too much time putting together a user review this week in between work and feeding the baby (who is currently napping on my shoulder, which for some reason is slowing down my typing smile ). The review is also linked from my sig now. I think it is a pretty accurate representation of my experiences so far with the 990, and those experiences have been quite positive. I'll be around some today, in between working this morning and some afternoon family obligations.

I've said this before, but in light of the recent comments of a couple people I will say it again - no one product is right for everyone. Even with the 990 available and offering what I think is a very impressive combination of sound quality, clean video switching, and robust features, there are still cases where a more expensive pre/pro (such as a Lexicon or Anthem's AVM30 or Statement D1) will be more fitting for someone. There will also be cases where budget will drive someone to options such as a used 950 or a receiver as pre/pro. None of those choices are wrong, which I think is important to remember. However, if you are looking for a surround processor and the 990 fits within your budget, I would suggest that you at least take some time to seriously consider it - maybe even take advantage of the 30-day return to give one a test drive.

#53309 - 05/15/05 10:19 AM Re: Anybody want to offer some user feedback for the folks in line?
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
Nice write-up, as usual, Gonk. Just a few questions I would like your take on.
What is your opinion on the lengthy OSD time? 15 seconds seems like a long time. I feel the 3 seconds of the 950 is pushing it. Wasn't there a revision with the 950 that changed the OSD timeout to allow the 3-second interval?
Does the size seem to be an issue? I'm trying to figure out the need for all that real estate. Possibly this case is used for different products such as a receiver which would need amplifier space.
How does the 990 handle switching between digital and analog cable signals?
Thanks

#53310 - 05/15/05 10:33 AM Re: Anybody want to offer some user feedback for the folks in line?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Keta, I may have to clarify that first bit - the OSD time-out is for the main OSD interface, not the pop-up. The pop-up seems to have a single delay of around three seconds, plus the option (adjustable for each input) of disabling it entirely - which is my preference. (EDIT: I added a sentence to point out that the pop-up is separate.)

The size wasn't an issue for me - it fit into my cabinet fine once I cut the back out a little more (it had to be cut away before to give wiring clearance for the 950). The P-965 chassis was developed to be used for both the P-965 and the R-965 receiver, and where the P-965 has a lot of dead space at the sides (where the receiver's binding posts go) the 990 has the balanced outputs and DVI. It's not the most "efficient" use of space overall (spacing between RCA jacks is a bit looser than is often the case), but it does yield a roomier rear panel - made it easier to wire up.

My cable box's digital input is active for all channels - it provides a PCM signal for stations that come from the provider with analog only. I don't think the 990 will revert to analog signals if the digital input is silent, which would pose a problem for folks with some of the lower-end Scientific Atlanta boxes. If you fall into that category, I'd seriously recommend checking into the availability of a Pace box - most SA-based cable provides seem to also offer Pace (DC-510 for digital cable, DC-550 or DC-551 for HD cable), and the Pace boxes seem to me to be better units.

#53311 - 05/15/05 11:00 AM Re: Anybody want to offer some user feedback for the folks in line?
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Nice write up Gonk. I am going to cover a few things you wrote about (since you just about covered it all smile ).

After nearly two days of listening I am ready to give a few initial impressions. I would say that the 990 is definitely warmer sounding than the 950 and to my ears I prefer the warmer sound. Movie soundtracks seem to be more full or rich and the surrounds seem more involved, or better integrated. Everything has a slightly more cohesive/fluid sound to it.

Musically I am still switching back and forth between analog bypass, digital stereo and digital upsample. I use an Onix CD-88 as my CD player and with the 950 I felt there was no comparison between the DAC in the CD-88 to the 950's. With the 990 I am amazed to say it but I really have a hard time telling the difference between stereo and bypass right now. The digital stereo in the 990, like in movies, just sounds warmer and more, well... analog. I would sum up the differences between the two as bypass is more controlled, tight and focused where the stereo has a bit more depth, better separation, and a touch more forward. Right now I am leaning towards the CD-88's DAC, but it may change as I get more familiar with the 990's sound. The wildcard to me is the upsample mode. To me, its very in your face. It reminds me of when I used to have Klipsch. The separation of instruments and the overall layers of soundstage I really like, but there is a sort of digitalness about it that is overbearing at times. Its really hard to explain until you hear it. Its a wildcard because sometimes it sounds wonderful but others it sounds harsh and artificial. I will continue to play around with this one, but after just 2 days I would easily say the DACs in the 990 are much more to my liking than the 950's.

Feature wise, I love the renaming of inputs, the start up volume level, the 3 component video inputs and the ability to choose bypass as a default for your equipment. With the 950 I always had to hit bypass when I listened to my CD's, but with the 990's you can set up your CD input to default to bypass. Very convenient for me, but most importantly others at my place who don't get all the bypass mumbo jumbo. One criticism I did have was it was a lot easier to set up the 950 without the OSD.

One quirk I have for fellow X1 users is that you can't use the OSD through component/HD. To me its really a hassle, but that is the X1's fault for not allowing 480i through their HD input. Just thought I would give you all a quick heads up.

I will post more impressions as the week goes by and I have more time to listen to it. Overall I would say Outlaw has a big hit on their hands sonically. In all honesty, I will gamble and say the biggest negative Outlaw may hear about this is the sheer size of the unit. I can't think of any enclosed shelving that won't need to be cut out from the back to accommodate it. Hopefully that won't be a major concern for most. Congratulations Scott and crew on another job well done!

#53312 - 05/15/05 02:15 PM Re: Anybody want to offer some user feedback for the folks in line?
sraber Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Green Bay, WI
I have kind of a lame-o write up here. I just haven't had time to do a good write up.

later,
simp
Outlaw Audio Model 2200 (center)
Rotel RMB-1075 (ss, rs)
f, B&W DM604S3
c, B&W LCR600S3
ss, B&W DM302
rs,Polk M3II
HSU VTF-3 MK3
APC H-15 Power Conditioner
Display: Panny PT-AE4000 Proj. + 92" DIY Screen
Little Dot MKIII Headphone Amp
Denon AH-D1100 Headphones (needed a quick, cheap set. looking for an upgrade worthy of the h/p amp.)

#53313 - 05/15/05 03:02 PM Re: Anybody want to offer some user feedback for the folks in line?
Logain Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
Gonk thanks for the review!! It is going to take me a couple reading to get everything in your review:)

So do you feel it is a large improvement over the 950?

#53314 - 05/15/05 05:42 PM Re: Anybody want to offer some user feedback for the folks in line?
trikos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
Ya Gonk, great review, it helps the wait..

#53315 - 05/15/05 06:19 PM Re: Anybody want to offer some user feedback for the folks in line?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Glad it helps ease the wait, trikos - hopefully you'll be listening to one of your own soon rather than just reading about them. And as far as the move from the 950 to the 990, I think there is a noticeable sound improvement (which I consider a pretty large difference) as well as some new features that have been a real hit - the editable input names is probably the biggest benefit for mrs. gonk.

#53316 - 05/16/05 08:07 AM Re: Anybody want to offer some user feedback for the folks in line?
rance Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston. MA
Excellent review Gonk...thanks!

#53317 - 05/17/05 02:29 AM Re: Anybody want to offer some user feedback for the folks in line?
southpark Offline
Gunslinger

I'm looking to upgrade from a Pioneer Elite 45tx and I was thinking of a 990 and a 770 but am a little concerned that I would be just as well off adding only the 770 and using the 45tx as a pre-pro or spending more money to move beyond the level of the 990.

Any off the cuff thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts