Outlaw LCR (Snell Labs) for center channel duty
Tekton Lore monitors L/R
4- Emotiva ERD-1s surround speakers
Monster HTS3600MKII power center

#17873 - 09/05/08 07:49 PM Re: Oppo blu-ray
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I wondered if they'd have something hiding at CEDIA this week. Last year, there was a DV-983H hiding at ABT's booth and it took nearly a week for any pictures of it to emerge. This one may be at ABT again this year, as I see what looks like a DVDO Edge box in the background of one shot.

This is the first I've seen this (hadn't spotted the AVS thread until you linked to it), but a few things catch my eye and make me very curious.

Connectivity: I see a 7.1 analog output plus stereo analog, coaxial and optical outputs, the standard array of video outputs (possibly excluding s-video, but it's hard to fault anybody on that), what appears to be a USB port, and a network jack. Oh, and IR in/out, and what might be a second USB on the front panel? Cool...

Remote: A new remote for the OPPO boys. I wonder if it is backlit?

Logos: Drum roll please, but did anybody else notice the "VRS" on the rear panel? That's what's under the hood of the 983H. And perhaps an SACD logo there on the front panel, next to a DVD logo that might or might not include DVD-A?

It's hard to say anything definitive yet, but a player with the video abilities of the 983H, DVD-A/SACD support, Profile 2.0 Blu-ray, and on-board decoding of new formats could be something of a "holy grail" player in many ways. Nifty. I still would hazard a guess that it'll be 2009 before they start shipping hardware, but it seems possible that it could be the early months of 2009...

#17874 - 09/05/08 09:14 PM Re: Oppo blu-ray
butchgo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
With the Sony S550 coming out in the next couple of months it will be hard to wait but I really think it would be worth it.
It would be so nice to have one player that could do it all.
They say "things come to he who waits" and "patience is a virtue" but it will be tough waiting for the preorder to be posted for this baby!!!!
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Tekton Lore monitors L/R

#17875 - 09/05/08 09:39 PM Re: Oppo blu-ray
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
Nice find butchgo. The S83... This is the player I've been waiting to see.

#17876 - 09/06/08 05:45 AM Re: Oppo blu-ray
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
With all the BD player choices out there it has been difficult to "choose wisely" so I've stayed on the sidelines. OPPO could take care of all that with this player if it incorporates the 983 features along with BD capability. As Gonk said, the Holy Grail of players.

#17877 - 09/06/08 06:00 PM Re: Oppo blu-ray
butchgo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
I always felt the one of the reasons Oppo released the 983 was to test the platform for their Blu-ray player.
So I am going to assume that all of the features of the 983 will be in the S83.
I just wish we had some idea of Oppo's time frame.
I too have been waiting in the wings and actually had decided to buy the Sony S550 when it comes out but now, I am not sure about that.
Maybe Gonk can get us some inside info soon?
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Tekton Lore monitors L/R

#17878 - 09/06/08 06:06 PM Re: Oppo blu-ray
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

#17879 - 09/06/08 07:52 PM Re: Oppo blu-ray
gonk Offline
Desperado

Jon took some great pictures. Apparently they weren't putting "DVD-Audio" on the faceplate yet when they had this prototype built because they're still trying to get it working, but it's so similar to TrueHD that it would seem likely they can pull it off. And the new remote looks pretty nice, actually. They still have the "GOTO" button that I was so pleased with back when I first got my 971H as well as discrete "on" and "off" buttons. There's also a "P/N" button suggesting that they're retaining the PAL/NTSC support they've long been known for.
Quote:
Originally posted by butchgo:
I always felt the one of the reasons Oppo released the 983 was to test the platform for their Blu-ray player.
So I am going to assume that all of the features of the 983 will be in the S83.
I'd initially be skeptical of them being able to afford to retain the ABT solution of the 983H in a Blu-ray player simply because of the hardware costs associated with the 102 deinterlacing chip, but it appears they were thinking far ahead - the 102/1018 combo that they used when developing the 983H was also the basis for ABT's new 2010 chip, and the firmware by and large ports over. (In fact, new 983H's ship with a revised HDMI board that uses a 2010 in place of the 102 and 1018 that are in my 983H.) Apparently the BDP-83 is going to use the 2010 as well, which means it should mimic the 983H's scaling and deinterlacing performance. Which is just really, really cool...
Quote:
Originally posted by butchgo:
I just wish we had some idea of Oppo's time frame.
I too have been waiting in the wings and actually had decided to buy the Sony S550 when it comes out but now, I am not sure about that.
Maybe Gonk can get us some inside info soon?
If I knew anything "official" yet, I'd be under an NDA until they started either shipping or taking pre-orders. On the other hand, I've been watching developments in the forums as closely as most anybody, and what's cropping up there (mainly from folks who visited the ABT booth this week) indicates that they'd like to be shipping before the holiday season if possible. I'd tend to guess there's some possibly-misplaced optimism in that goal, but it sounds like even if they can't pull a holiday release off we've got a really good shot at seeing this thing shipping before winter's over.

#17880 - 09/06/08 08:40 PM Re: Oppo blu-ray
gonk Offline
Desperado

Here's a little more info that Gizmodo got from OPPO:
Quote:
The BDP-83 will be a Profile 2.0 that features the ABT 2010 de-interlacing and scaling solution for both DVD and Blu-Ray media. The product as currently implemented supports SACD. We are investigating the possibility of DVD-Audio support.

The player will support the transportation and decoding of the Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital TrueHD, DTS High Resolution, and DTS HD-Master. In the current implementation only the core DD and DTS are supported, but the hardware will support the transportation and decoding of these formats in the future.

No price has been established, but we are throwing around $499~699 as the possible price points. Anticipated release is Winter (November through February)
It sounds like there's still some serious firmware work to be done (implementing the decoding in the DSP, working out the situation with DVD-Audio), which makes me suspect we'll see this closer to February 2009 than to November 2008.

#17881 - 09/07/08 05:56 PM Re: Oppo blu-ray
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

I can definitely wait. Just like I can wait for Outlaw on their next gen equipment. I'm using a PS3 now and it's fine for now.

I'm using the 980H for DVD's and CD's.

I personally think it's smart to have the pictures and model number of the player out with some preliminary features. People will wait for Oppo.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 89 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts