Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12226 - 12/19/03 07:00 PM Speakers match for Outlaw
Tag Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Williamsport,PA,USA
I am ready to purchase my first home theater system. I've read many reviews and decided to purchase the Outlaw 950/7100 amp and preamp. I am leaning towards Aperion speakers. Is Aperion speakers a good match for Outlaw? Also need a suggestion on a good DVD player to round this out. Any help would be most appreciated. I value the opinions of the people on this board, so let me have it! Thanks

Scott

#12227 - 12/22/03 02:05 PM Re: Speakers match for Outlaw
Alex Prosak Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Eagle River, AK
Scott,

I haven't heard of anyone using an Outlaw/Aperion combo. I think that the Outlaw would be overkill for an Aperion system. The shootouts I've read on internet speakers, most people prefer Ascend, Axiom, or Rockets over the Aperions. I have a 950/7100 combo that I'm using to power Rocket Package #2 and an extra pair of 150's with fantastic results. Throw in a SVS, Hsu, Adire, or Rocket sub and you'll be good to go.

As for DVD players, are you also interested in hi-rez music? Some potential players at various price points are Pioneer 563s, Sony 755, Philips 963, Denon 2200 and 2900. The 563 has no chroma bug, is universal, and can be had for under $200. The 755 and 963 are both compatible with SACD, I've heard really good things about the sound quality of the 963 and there are some mods available to further improve the sound. Both the Denons are also universal (except HDCD) as well. I have a 2900 and really like it a lot. It has an excellent picture, is built like a tank, and is FAST. I haven't seen a layer change since I bought it. I don't know how you feel about layer changes but they absolutely drive me nuts.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex Prosak (edited December 22, 2003).]

#12228 - 12/22/03 02:26 PM Re: Speakers match for Outlaw
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
This reviewer lists an Outlaw 770 in his associated equipment (which is likely more power than they'd ever need -- the 7100 would probably be a pretty decent match for them), and he seemed very pleased with the system overall. Since my speakers are all Paradigm, I can't offer any first-hand experience (I'm planning to add a pair of Axiom bookshelves for dual surround back channels in the near future, because the Axioms should blend well with the similar Paradigms for a lot less money than comparable Paradigms would cost me).

Probably the two players that Alex mentions that have most often caught my eye lately are the Pioneer 563 and Denon 2200, both universal players with good reviews and no chroma bug.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited December 22, 2003).]

#12229 - 12/28/03 11:09 PM Re: Speakers match for Outlaw
bluescale Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Eugene, OR
Alex, Gonk, what's this chroma bug you guys are referring to?

What can I say, I'm just getting started...

#12230 - 12/28/03 11:29 PM Re: Speakers match for Outlaw
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Quote:
Originally posted by bluescale:

Read the "DVD Benchmark" article at the Secrets of Home Theater and Hi Fi website. That should explain it...

www.hometheaterhifi.com

#12231 - 12/28/03 11:47 PM Re: Speakers match for Outlaw
gonk Offline
Desperado

Jason J has it -- Secrets originally discovered the chroma bug. Here's a direct link to the article.

------------------

#12232 - 12/28/03 11:57 PM Re: Speakers match for Outlaw
bluescale Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Eugene, OR
Quote:
Originally posted by bluescale:

Read the "DVD Benchmark" article at the Secrets of Home Theater and Hi Fi website. That should explain it...

www.hometheaterhifi.com

Jason,

This information blows me away. I've been dealing with this strange artifacting on my Toshiba 34HF81 since I purchased it a year ago. When I watch amorphic media in full mode, there is no artifacting. However, whenever I watch non-amporphic media in any of the other modes it is present.

Is this the same thing as the chroma bug even though it doesn't seem to be related to a specific device, but rather picture size mode? Is there anything I can do about it? Am I making sense?

#12233 - 12/29/03 07:43 AM Re: Speakers match for Outlaw
gonk Offline
Desperado

You may be using progressive scan mode for the anamorphic stuff but not on some of the other, and in many players the chroma bug is masked by the progressive scan processing. What player are you using?

------------------

#12234 - 12/30/03 12:38 PM Re: Speakers match for Outlaw
threers Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: vienna, va usa
Tag,
I have Aperion 5.1 that I use with a pair of Energy Veritas 2.4i for LR. I have the 950/770 combo. If you like direct (not dipole -- I don't know the technical term which may or may not be monopole) surround speakers, Aperions monitors are really good with 770. They were "tinny" and "fatiquing" with a Kenwood receiver but with 770 they are "bright" and "warm". Their 12" sub is good, but I don't ask too much from it since Veritas 2.4i are good with bass. Aperion just came out with power tower for LR, but I haven't read any reviews. I would definitely use the towers for LR if you go with Aperions. The small monitors/sub combination leaves a little hole in the lower mid/uppper bass for music. They are good with movies -- very clear dialogues.

#12235 - 12/30/03 12:54 PM Re: Speakers match for Outlaw
threers Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: vienna, va usa
Scott,

Sorry I called you Tag -- didn't see the signature at the bottom. I have Philips Q50 DVD player that really has good pictures. If you are willing to download a patch from Philips Singapore (Philips has the worst customer service) and upgrade the software after you get the player, the Faroujda chip really make a difference in picture quality for a $250 player. It had all kinds for bugs (freeze frame, chroma bug etc,) with the original software. But you can get one relatively cheap because of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts