Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#71755 - 01/27/06 10:09 PM video rolling
nik,martin Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Mobile, AL
I have a few video components that cause the video to roll when switched through the 1070. One is the OSD of my VCR. It connects through video 1's composite input. The other is one of those video game joysticks, the awesome commodore 64 joystick (it's an actual commodore64 rom, stuffed into a joystick! a hackers paradise!). My monitor is a 42" plasma, connected to the monitor out component outputs.

Has anyone noticed any video components causing their screen to roll? I assume this means the vertical sync is off a bit, but I'm not much of a video expert.

#71756 - 01/27/06 11:07 PM Re: video rolling
John Galt Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
Actually, I noticed that as well with one of those 4-in-one joystick games (Ms. PacMan, Pole Position, Xevious and Mappy) when I connected it via the front composite inputs transcoded to S-Video. I ended up just connecting it through the VCR since my TV doesn't have front inputs.

#71757 - 01/28/06 10:43 AM Re: video rolling
John Galt Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
Oh, I should add that I also have my VCR hooked up via composite inputs and have no problems, OSD or otherwise, with the video transcoding to S-Video.

#71758 - 01/29/06 01:47 PM Re: video rolling
P Holland Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Norfolk, VA
I'm not alone after all. Maybe the A/V manufacturing companies should try to improve composite video I/O instead of inventing new connectors i.e. s-video, component, DVI, RGB scart, HDMI. Of course the more ins and out you have give you more than enough flexability but, does the presence of s-video and composite connections for every A/V source needlessly drive up the cost of a 'platform' more than anything else? How many of you guys out there have spent a nice piece of change on higher quality composite video cables? How many of us have bought inexpensive digital cables? Offsetting penalties I say. I'm upgrading a perfectly operating piece of equipment to have one that has something on the rear of it that will take years for me to eventually use. And just when I decide to... here comes a another video standard-setting connector.

#71759 - 01/29/06 02:55 PM Re: video rolling
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
I, for one, am hoping composite in/outs will totally disappear on equipment. People can argue about quality of cables and sound from preamps, but I don't think anyone would try to say composite can look as good as S-video or any other higher level connection. I have no components without a higher level connection and would not hook something with composite only to my HT processor. I have a VCR upstairs. It is a JVC SVHS. I haven't even used it in about 5 or 6 years although my wife will tape a show on it form time to time.

I politely disagree that manufacturers should spend more time on a connection that will hopefully die out on equipment soon. If I had to run a composite connection, I would buy somehthing like a DVDO deinterlacer, otherwise on even the 32" CRT I have in my bedroom, it would be unwatchable.

I own no composite cables except what came with various source components when I purchased them. In my opinion, I would use a $10-15 S-Video cable before using a $100 composite cable. Composite is simply not a good way to convey video, no matter what a person does to enhance the performance of composite, S-Video will destroy it every time.

I am even someone who would argue that DVI looks no better than component, but composite should have been dropped years ago. The nature of the signal (cramming all the color information on one wire) just can't compete with other ways to convey video when the color information is split and sent across different wires.

#71760 - 01/30/06 04:34 PM Re: video rolling
dmholmes Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I'm having the same problem with an old Mitsubishi S-VHS deck connected through a good quality Monster S video cable. Oddly enough, the old laserdisc player connected through one of the composite inputs is fine.

#71761 - 01/30/06 11:21 PM Re: video rolling
PodBoy Offline
Gunslinger

Based on some of the comments, particularly the last one from dmholmes, one has to think that this is something related to the poorer sync quality of some video sources than it is with the Outlaw.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts