Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#66333 - 10/05/07 06:58 PM A significant October deal
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
In case anybody missed it, here's the new promotion:

Outlaws Double Down

$800 for a Model 990, $500 for a Model 970, and $200 off of next-gen processors for any original owners of either the 990 or the 970 (assuming you buy a next-gen processor during the first six months that it's on the market). There are also some details about those next-gen processors hiding in there - both relating to DSP capabilities and to projected development schedules...

#66334 - 10/05/07 07:14 PM Re: A significant October deal
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
It is good to see a 'little' update to the 2008 year.
Good stuff.
Very cool for Outlaw to think of current and past customers.

I'm sure the chip industry supporting HDMI is nothing short of chaos at a time like this. With manufactures/designers/buyers fighting for chip samples and delivery dates.

2008 it going to be interesting.....

#66335 - 10/05/07 08:19 PM Re: A significant October deal
gonk Offline
Desperado

The comments about the next generation of products does reinforce the idea that HDMI's adoption is proving to be basically torment for the consumer electronics industry - new generation of DSP chips (the Cirrus 49700, for example) and new processing modes in addition to the other stuff (video scaling, HDMI, and the rest). Clearly it is a tough situation for any manufacturer to be in - especially a smaller outfit like Outlaw. As you say, 2008 will certainly be interesting.

#66336 - 10/05/07 08:38 PM Re: A significant October deal
gonk Offline
Desperado

Oh, and in case anyone is having trouble seeing the deal (a sudden flurry of site traffic seems to be causing some grief for Outlaw's main site), here's a copy of the deal:

Quote:
Double Down With The OUTLAWS!

For those of you who have never played blackjack, when you "double down", you take a great hand (such as a six and a five), double your bet, and take one final card in your quest to get twenty one! As with any card game, you're taking a gamble at the tables: Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. However, with the Outlaws you will never lose - and our Double Down promotion for the month of October makes sure that everyone comes out a winner!

Without question, this is far and away the most spectacular promotional deal in our history! Rather than waste time with preliminaries, we're dealing the cards face up, right here.

Effective immediately, and running through October 31st, we are reducing the price on both of our award-winning surround sound processors by $200.

- The Model 990, normally $999, is priced at $799 during October!

- The Model 970, normally $699, is priced at $499 during October!

No other processors in the market have been able to match the value of either of these award-winning units at their pre-promotion prices. This month, they represent an unprecedented value. Remember, these are fully featured processors with built-in 1080p capable, HDMI-compatible, DVI switching. Both use the Cirrus Logic CS49400 DSP processor that enables them to include four-way crossovers with all surround modes and per-input lip sync delay settings. In addition they are equipped with multiple digital and analog audio inputs, IR input/output jacks, and much, much more. Of course, they are software upgradeable and carry the Outlaw's transferable warranty.

Complete feature lists and specifications are available at www.outlawaudio.com, but a summary of the differences includes our exclusive analog bass management option on the Model 970, while among the Model 990's many special features are an audiophile-grade phono input section, multiroom capability, a stereo upsampling chip, a USB connection for easy upgrades and playback of computer audio streams, as well as balanced audio outputs for use with our Model 7500, Model 7700 and Model 7900 amplifiers.

These promotional prices emphasize the value of Outlaw processors as the best equipped products in their respective price classes. Their currency and compatibility with the latest video sources is underlined by being able to switch 1080p digital video signals and handle the high resolution audio format outputs provided by many high-definition, blue-laser players through their "7.1 direct" inputs. However, we also recognize that some of you may be waiting for a processor with HDMI repeater/processor capabilities and more.

So what's next?

The Outlaws are hard at work creating new world-class products with all the bells and whistles, but the development time line is a long one and some of the critical path items are outside of our control.

For example, as recent as late last month, we learned that the newest version of the Cirrus Logic CS49700, the DSP chip powering these new products, will have an eight-week delay in the production schedule for samples. This cascades to a greater delay in the schedule, since the samples need to be in hand before we can finalize the board layout and freeze the firmware/software. We could use the current version of the DSP chip, but we want to deliver the increased stability and lightning-fast acquisition of the latest "lossey" and "lossless" audio formats transmitted over HDMI.

Similarly, our plans also include new, advanced codecs that are not currently available in any product. Unfortunately, there is also a delay in the delivery of the final microprocessor code for some of these codecs to the chip suppliers. All of us at Outlaw are waiting for final word on how to implement them. The net result is that our new processors will not be scheduled for production until some time late in the first quarter or early in the second quarter of 2008. To bring these processors to market sooner would deprive us of offering you some hot new features and the advanced stability that depends on component-based hardware, not upgradeable software.

What to do until then?
That's where you can DOUBLE DOWN!

In addition to saving $200 this month on either of our surround processors, we will double that discount with a $200 price reduction from the initial published price of any of our future processors to Model 990 and Model 970 owners for the first six months after they start shipping. This "future offer" allows you upgrade your current system today with a world-class product, backed with the confidence that should the upgrade bug bite next year you'll have access to a discount that will not be available to first-time buyers of the new products. By doubling down you can enjoy a new processor today and upgrade tomorrow when the new technologies are truly "ready for prime time".

Before you ask...

As a final note, we'll anticipate two logical questions from current Outlaws and address them right here. In recognition of your loyalty, the $200 discount on our new processors will be available to any original owner of a Model 990 or Model 970, within the first 6 months of its release regardless of the original date of purchase.

Further, in keeping with our policy of customer support, anyone who has purchased a Model 990 or Model 970 in the past thirty days will be price protected with $250 in "Outlaw Bucks", good towards any future Outlaw purchase during the next twelve months.

We can think of no better way to give you a start on your "holiday shopping", or a chance to get in that last system upgrade for yourself before starting to think about presents for everyone else on the shopping list. For full details on all of our products, go to www.outlawaudio.com. The sign over the Hideout says that "The best values in home theater are only a mouse-click away!™". Our October "Double-Down" Promo is the best example of that ever!

Regards,

The Outlaws

#66337 - 10/06/07 02:04 AM Re: A significant October deal
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Somewhere in Virginia
Come on Outlaw, send me one to Beta test, I'll run it threw it's paces. In all seriousness, looking forward to it hitting the streets.

#66338 - 10/06/07 07:49 AM Re: A significant October deal
FAUguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: FL
I've had my 990 for a little over a year.
It's glad to see they are working on a newer model, and that we can get a $200 discount within the first 6 month.

I too would be willing to beta test it.
I've done 14 years of beta testing with M.S.

#66339 - 10/06/07 03:23 PM Re: A significant October deal
Petey B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Baltimore
Smart move by the Outlaws dribbling out some facts on the "New" processor.

They know a bunch of new pre-pros will be released very soon...and they know there are a bunch of 990 owners ready to upgrade.

Dribbling out a few details and a $200 incentive may just be enough to keep me from jumping the Outlaw ship.

#66340 - 10/06/07 09:49 PM Re: A significant October deal
candyman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Beaverton
I've thoroughly enjoyed my 990 over the last year and a half, as well as the awesome Outlaw support (accurate pre-sales questions, painless 990 flash upgrade and shipping company problem resolution) I've received. The $200 is a nice incentive and gives me further reason to place Outlaw on the top of my processor list provider when the inevitable upgrade bug infects me next year.

Thank you Outlaw!

Rob
Samsung 65" LED TV
Front: Martin Logan reQuests & Logos
Surround: Martin Logan Fresco i via Outlaw OAWA3
Sub: ACI Maestro w/ ICE amp

#66341 - 10/07/07 06:59 PM Re: A significant October deal
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

With the US dollar tanking versus the Canadian dollar, and the difference expected to grow to as much as 7% early next year, the timing for a new top-of-the-line pre/pro could not be better. I've always seen the 990 as a good product, but not enough of an improvement over the 950 (feature-wise) to make it worth my while. I have no doubt that the Outlaw's next product will have all that I've wanted - and then some.

Now if only they'd open a Canadian distribution and repair facility. (Outlaws: if you don't see the Canadian market as being incredibly ripe right now, then you're living in a bubble. With the Canadian dollar so high there are lineups at the borders with folks just itching to spend their higher-value dollars. If you were to make the move into Canada, NOW, it would be well worth your while. As an internet (rather than bricks and mortar) company, there is a huge reluctance on the part of many people to order from "abroad." If they can drive there, they're ok. But better yet: if they can order it from a Canadian location, and have Canada Post deliver it, they will go for it. That's why, for example, there is Amazon.ca, and bestbuy.ca. Trust me!)

#66342 - 10/08/07 06:18 PM Re: A significant October deal
pcreel Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Round Rock, TX
has anyone heard if the B-stock prices will be lowered because of this sale? current B-stock is more than new.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 99 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts