Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#61620 - 08/07/06 11:54 AM First impressions of 990/7700...
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Somewhere in Virginia
Well, as many of you know, I recently purchased the Outlaw 990/7700 combo which I finally received this past week. The order was shipped out on a Monday and I received the pre/pro on Wednesday. The amp was also shipped out on Monday and was supposed to be delivered on Friday by FedEx Ground but for what ever reason, which I had nothing to do with, Fedex Ground held the package at the facility for me to pick up after it showed on the tracking information that it was on the truck to be delivered. Anyways, I ended up having to go pick up the package at 9 p.m. Friday night. Anyways, onto my review.

Cosmetics:

As many know, I'm really anal about the way things look, things have to be the same color, items have to flow with the decor. I was really hesitant about ordering the Outlaw Pre/Pro due to it looking like it was a slate grey instead of black, which is what I like. Well no worries, both units seem to match perfectly, blending with my existing equipment perfectly. I'm guessing it's was just how the pictures were taken which made it look like the two units were different colors.

Outlaw 990:

First impressions as I took it out the box were, man this thing is huge. Measurement wise, the 990 is actually larger than the 7700, but weighing in at only 28lbs. This unit has inputs/outputs galore. By no way shape or form will I ever run out of inputs. I did however have problems getting the on-screen display (OSD) to work properly but with the help of many on this forum along with the Polk forum, I did get that issue resolved. Thats one of the things I've noted to Outlaw that they need to make a little clearer in the manual. The OSD will work threw the component cables but it HAS to be a 480i signal, then it will pass. So to all of you that helped, a big THANK-YOU to all.

Outlaw 7700:

Now this thing is a beast. Weighing in at 93lbs., just make sure someone is around to give you a hand. It is possible to move by oneself like I did, but it sure would have been nice to have an extra set of hands around. The 7700 is a very universal amplifier, allowing you to use either a BALANCED or UNBALANCED connection, I myself am using a balanced connection. I did however hook up the unbalanced connection to my 3805 when I couldn't get the 990 to work properly only to find that I had a dead, surround right channel on the amplifier. Once I got the 990 working properly and hooked up to the balanced connections, all channels work fine.

Customer Service:

Have to put this section in here. Just got off the phone with Steve from Outlaw Audio. Outlaw is shipping another amplifier out as I write this. He couldn't stop saying how sorry he was that the channel was dead on the amplifier even after telling him all channels worked with the balanced connections he still said that, and I quote, "Outlaw Audio wants to make sure all equipment is running at 110% and that the customers should be 110% happy about their purchase". Now that is some kick ass customer service. They are sending me another $2200 amplifier before they receive the bad one back. Kudos to Outlaw.

Brief listening review:

I'll have to repost on this section as I have more of a chance to really take a listen to the new gear but what time I did get to listen, I was smiling from ear to ear. Those RTi's really sing when you throw some serious power to them. At first I took it easy because I was afraid I was going to blow them but after about 20 minutes of mederate listening, I let her eat. The highs were much clearer, bass was alot tighter, things I've never heard before were coming from the soundtracts. As far as movies go, the one movie I always demo when getting new gear is U-571, depth charges. Holy s!@# Batman, I found myself ducking when the charges were going off. Talk about loud, way to damn loud for my taste, but if the need for the extra volume is needed, it is there now.

Over the next month or so I will be reposting on my experience with the Outlaw gear so just keep an eye on this page as I will update every chance I get. Time to get back to work.

#61621 - 08/07/06 11:59 AM Re: First impressions of 990/7700...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
laugh I'm glad that we finally got the OSD hammered out, and I look forward to hearing back from you as you get the 990 and 7700 settled in to your system.

#61622 - 08/07/06 01:16 PM Re: First impressions of 990/7700...
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
Grimster,
Very nice .... looking foward to hearing more about play time.

#61623 - 08/07/06 01:18 PM Re: First impressions of 990/7700...
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

Here is a link to some updated photos I took this weekend.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=40818

Scroll to the bottom of the page for the new pics.

#61624 - 08/07/06 01:45 PM Re: First impressions of 990/7700...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Nice pics - the 990 and 7700 look pretty cool side-by-side like that.

#61625 - 08/07/06 05:39 PM Re: First impressions of 990/7700...
Laventura Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montréal,PQ
Oh Yeah ! nice set-up grimster
I'm glad to know you're enjoying your toys...
and that you,re getting sort of a second coming... wink
christmas twice in the same month...that's not too bad...
I can't wait to read how it unfolds...
Outlaw 1070-Mirage M-290(main)+MCC(center)+Omnisat Micro(sides) nanosat(back)+ +PS12-90(sub)-Technics SL-5 turtable+Cambridge Audio 540P-HTPC - SamsungDTB-H260F HDTV tuner - Optoma HD 20 +100' Draper screen -lots of spaghetti and toys

#61626 - 08/08/06 08:40 PM Re: First impressions of 990/7700...
ej Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fairview, TX
Grimster, how do you like the signal cables? What other cables have you tried before settling with these?

Everett
Panasonic AE900U
ML Aeon i
ML Cinema i
ML Descent
Monitor Audio Bronze
Panamax 5400-EX
Da-Lite 120" Fixed Screen
...and allot of goodies in between

EJ\'s Home Theater

#61627 - 08/09/06 10:32 AM Re: First impressions of 990/7700...
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

EJ, I went from AR cables to Monster Cables to Signal Cables and the Signal Cables are by far the best cables I've ever used. One, I can order them to the length I want that way I don't have un-necessary cables hanging around and two, Frank builds amazing cables. Every cable I own has been built by Frank, right down to my power cables.

#61628 - 08/14/06 08:34 AM Re: First impressions of 990/7700...
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

Just FYI, I received my replacement 7700 Friday and everything works fine other than FedEX being a bunch of Morons. I've never had this many problems getting something delivered to the correct address. Anyways, everything works beautiful and couldn't be happier with my new gear.

#61629 - 08/14/06 09:40 AM Re: First impressions of 990/7700...
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
Quote:
Originally posted by grimster:
Here is a link to some updated photos I took this weekend.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=40818

Scroll to the bottom of the page for the new pics.
That's a really nice/simple design for the A/V rack. What kind is it? I think it's time to dump my industrial steel shelving. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 115 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts