Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#57010 - 01/03/06 09:39 AM 990 Bass Mangement Update
The Capt Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wisconsin

-----------------------------------
Edited by admin:
Please see post by Scott later in this thread where an update on these issues has been presented in more detail and the forthcoming software update to address these issues is discussed.
-----------------------------------

Got my new 990 for Christmas and I am posting to confirm some of the bass management issues reported here. I have the problem associated with setting my speakers to large with the sub set L/R+sub. I also have a problem with the speakers set to small, XO at 40Hz. I get a full range signal to my sub on analog inputs...even on BYPASS!

Unfortunately, I got this unit as a gift from my wife. I had mentioned to her that the Outlaw was one of three processors I was considering as a replacement to my aging Adcom GTP830. Now I have defective processor to replace an old one, and Oulaw does not seem forthcoming on when the update will arrive.
Pioneer DV578A (SACD,DVD-A)
Monster HT3500MKII
X Box, Samsung HLN-4667W
Energy C-9 (mains)
Energy C-C1 (center)
Proficient C645 (surr)
Hsu VTF2MKII Sub

#57011 - 01/03/06 01:03 PM Re: 990 Bass Mangement Update
MerlinWerks Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Yep, I believe we're all in the same boat when it comes to analog bass management. I spoke to Outlaw last week and they said that was one of the issues under consideration for the firmware upgrade; Still no ETA on the upgrade though.

#57012 - 01/03/06 01:12 PM Re: 990 Bass Mangement Update
The Capt Offline
Gunslinger

Just got a message from tech support that says the 990's bass management "works as intended", but they are looking into the "L/R+SUB" engagement when crossed over a certain way.

Hmmm. Full range output to the sub on "bypass" mode from an analog signal path is the intended function of the bass management? I am wondering what bypass really means then. Guess I will have to wait until Steve gets back from lunch to find out.
Monster HT3500MKII
X Box, Samsung HLN-4667W
Energy C-9 (mains)
Energy C-C1 (center)
Proficient C645 (surr)
Hsu VTF2MKII Sub

#57013 - 01/03/06 04:17 PM Re: 990 Bass Mangement Update
The Capt Offline
Gunslinger

After talking with Steve @ Outlaw, I am now getting even more upset. No slam on him, but what he is telling me just does not make any sense at all. After some RTA testing tonight, I will know how deep this rabbit hole goes. I hope I am wrong.
Monster HT3500MKII
X Box, Samsung HLN-4667W
Energy C-9 (mains)
Energy C-C1 (center)
Proficient C645 (surr)
Hsu VTF2MKII Sub

#57014 - 01/03/06 04:42 PM Re: 990 Bass Mangement Update
braidkid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: WA
When you guys say "analog" you are referring to two channel analog inputs not the 7.1 analog inputs?

I can confirm that while running low frequency sweeps through the two channel analog inputs in "bypass" there was no bass management. The sub was audible as high as 1kHz!!!!

This is very puzzling as Outlaw claims bass management is applied no matter what unless speakers are set to large. This doesnt bother me as I don't use the 2 channel analog inputs.

My 990 is configured as follows: speakers/small, 80Hz crossover all channels.
Denon DVD-2910
M&K LCR750
M&K Surround-55 tripole
Dual M&K VX-1250
Outlaw PCAs
Blue Jeans Component and HDMI
Panamax 5500

#57015 - 01/03/06 07:07 PM Re: 990 Bass Mangement Update
MerlinWerks Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Yes, at least I'm referring to the 2 ch analog inputs. My concern is there is no bass mgt. when the mode is set to "stereo", which from what I read, I thought the 990 would do.

#57016 - 01/03/06 09:17 PM Re: 990 Bass Mangement Update
braidkid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: WA
Ok, that is correct. There is no bass management on the 2 channel analog inputs unless using PLII.

Again, not a big deal if you don't use those inputs.
Denon DVD-2910
M&K LCR750
M&K Surround-55 tripole
Dual M&K VX-1250
Outlaw PCAs
Blue Jeans Component and HDMI
Panamax 5500

#57017 - 01/04/06 10:02 AM Re: 990 Bass Mangement Update
Scott Offline
Desperado

I want to clarify how bass management works with "Large" and "Small" speakers in bypass modes:

1) With a digital input (coax or optical) and the Model 990 in bypass mode with speakers set to "small" you will receive a sub signal relative to the crossover point set for these speakers. In this mode you bypass surround DSP, but not bass management.

With all settings as described above, but speakers set to "large", you get no signal to your subwoofer. The L/R + Sub settings only work when not in bypass modes (such as Stereo and Upsample).

2) Analog bypass (bypass for regular two channel analog inputs) behaves a little bit differently. With speakers set to "small" you will receive a signal to the sub. However, since you are using an analog input connection, you will bypass both surround DSP and bass management as BM occurs in the digital domain. In order to receive a signal at your sub, the L/R signal is duplicated and sent on to your sub full range. Under these configuration settings you will need to activate the crossover in your sub to aid high frequency roll off.

As noted above, if your speakers are set to "large" you will get no signal to your subwoofer. The L/R + Sub settings only work when not in bypass modes (as in Stereo and Upsample).

Scott

#57018 - 01/04/06 10:40 AM Re: 990 Bass Mangement Update
The Capt Offline
Gunslinger

After extensive testing last night with Avia and True RTA 5.1, I think I have nailed the problem with MY 990. I am not saying this is a production wide problem, just that this is the response of MY unit. If Outlaw tech support would just be a little more open minded and a little less evasive on the problem....they might learn something by reading this.

First of all I have bass management issues on analog two channel inputs with speakers set to small. Tech support actually is advising against large setting with L/R+sub. I think the problems with the L/R +Sub setting are the same as the problems encountered with the small speaker setting.....full output subwoofer signal.

From my testing with Avia and True RTA5.1, when changing crossover points THERE IS NO MEASURABLE DIFFERENCE IN SUB RESPONSE with speakers set to small on two channel analog inputs using modes of Stereo, Bypass & Upsample. Only the L/R response changes. The freq. reproduction of the sub is limited ONLY by the response of the driver in your sub. It is a full range signal no matter what (mine dropped off at around 1khz). This is a fact in my unit and contradicts what I was told yesterday; namely that bass management is applied in Stereo and Upsample but not in Bypass. Outlaw said in bypass with speakers small, a copy of the L/R is sent full range to the sub. Bass management (with proper crossovers)are applied in Stereo and Bypass. This is definately not happening. True, there is some management being applied (as I will go into below) but it has ZERO effect on the Sub signal in ANY MODE.

There is some management of the L/R speakers. When set to small, the crossover for the L/R is actually reversed from what is presented on the screen. 40hz is 200hz, 200hz is 40hz. I confirmed this with the RTA. Regardless of the setting, the sub is playing (in my case) up to 1khz. If the same is true in large speaker setting, there is your muddy double bass problem. Full range to the fronts and FULL RANGE to the sub. I encountered this problem with the large setting and L/R+Sub.

There are a couple of questions being begged here. If, as Outlaw states, the 990 bass management is "working as it was designed", one must question the intention of the designer. I cannot envision a scenario where multiple global crossovers are used for multiple speakers that a full range signal to the sub would be beneficial.
Secondly, if the bass management for analog sources in "Bypass" mode simply copies a full range signal of the left and right speakers and sends it to the sub (as was told to me by Outlaw yeaterday), what is happening on the sub signal in 7.1 "bypass"? I bet it is a full range copy just like 2.1 channel "bypass" (too tired to confirm this).
Lastly, Steve at Outlaw told me "all home theater processors digitize the analog inputs". While this may well be true (I have no idea if every single one does), one must question the accuracy of statments like "Pure analog mode" and "pure bypass" listed on the product information sheet.
Pure analog from a redbook cd does not reproduce a .1 channel to my knowledge, let alone a full range copy of the L/R it.
My unit will be going back to Outlaw for a couple of reasons.

1. It does not work the way it should regardless of what Outlaw says. There is no effective way to integrate a subwoofer and listen to CD material on an analog connection. I would rather return the Outlaw than throw away my subwoofer.
2. I can't take the chance of waiting until after my trial period is up to see if it will be fixed.
3. They won't extend my trial period.
Monster HT3500MKII
X Box, Samsung HLN-4667W
Energy C-9 (mains)
Energy C-C1 (center)
Proficient C645 (surr)
Hsu VTF2MKII Sub

#57019 - 01/04/06 10:51 AM Re: 990 Bass Mangement Update
The Capt Offline
Gunslinger

Scott I was posting at the same time you were. I am clear about the small speaker setting and bypass mode with analog inputs.. full range to the sub. What I can't figure out is why the crossovers don't affect the subwoofer in Stereo and Upsample modes using the same two channel analog inputs. I get full range in ALL modes, and only the L/R ever gets cut.
Monster HT3500MKII
X Box, Samsung HLN-4667W
Energy C-9 (mains)
Energy C-C1 (center)
Proficient C645 (surr)
Hsu VTF2MKII Sub

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts